Ennis Nba tidbit | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis Nba tidbit

All I see is all season long most on this board have undervalued this kid. Originally he was a sure 4 year player not a great athlete etc. hes a player with a truly elite skill set. He will be great NBA player.

I think you're martyring yourself a bit here. Folks have been uniformly high on Ennis, and it was never the board consensus that he "was a sure 4 year player."

As to whether he will be a "great" NBA player, which I interpret as meaning he at least makes an All-Star game somewhere along the line: How is he a better NBA prospect than Sherman Douglas? Douglas was the first pick in the second round, and while he had a long NBA career, I am confident no one ever described him as a "great NBA player." Is Ennis really a better prospect than the General?

You must not have followed the mocks last year at all. If I remember correctly he may have been in the mock lottery before the season started. If he wasn't he was by the 3rd or 5th game and out bad stretch never knocked him out.

Yes, he moved up really high in the mock drafts by December, when he was being called the best PG in college basketball. Then, we lost something like 5 out of 6 to end the regular season. At that point in time (not December), he was not a top 10 pick, he had fallen more to the fringe of the lottery.

Yes, he moved up really high in the mock drafts by December, when he was being called the best PG in college basketball. Then, we lost something like 5 out of 6 to end the regular season. At that point in time (not December), he was not a top 10 pick, he had fallen more to the fringe of the lottery.

Well, okay, but that does not at all support the original assertion, which was "Was MCW a lottery pick before we made the Final Four? I don't think so." But now you're saying he was a high lottery pick early in the year and a lower lottery pick before we made the Final Four. (And he ended up a low lottery pick after making the Final Four, so this wouldn't seem to support the position that the tourney performance had much effect, and certainly wouldn't support the position that the tourney performance had a particularly disproportionate effect given that we all acknowledge his early season play had vaulted him to the top 10.)

Yeah, it was really the workouts that won a lot of teams over on MCW. Everybody raved about how great he looked in the combine and the workouts, and suddenly he went from a late lotto pick to some predicting he could sneak into the top 5. But he ended up going 11th anyways, so even the workouts didn't help his stock much at the end of the day.

Well, okay, but that does not at all support the original assertion, which was "Was MCW a lottery pick before we made the Final Four? I don't think so." But now you're saying he was a high lottery pick early in the year and a lower lottery pick before we made the Final Four. (And he ended up a low lottery pick after making the Final Four, so this wouldn't seem to support the position that the tourney performance had much effect, and certainly wouldn't support the position that the tourney performance had a particularly disproportionate effect given that we all acknowledge his early season play had vaulted him to the top 10.)

How far does the lottery go now - 18 picks? 16 picks? Something like that? The point was our fall off at the end of the year hurt his draft stock, and our run to the Final Four helped his draft stock. It wasn't a constant throughout the year, based only on his individual performance. Every year when a team makes a run to the Final Four, it lifts the draft stock of some of that team's players.

Ennis is better than MCW in all phases except for court vision. Ennis is a good passer but not elite. MCW has elite passing skills. I still haven't really seen anyone say they would want MCW over Ennis.
I'll take MCW all day, every day over Ennis.

anglerman said:
Ennis is better than MCW in all phases except for court vision. Ennis is a good passer but not elite. MCW has elite passing skills. I still haven't really seen anyone say they would want MCW over Ennis.

MCW is a far better defender. And far better at running the break.

Mo Cheeks was faster.

I see more Mark Jackson in Ennis.

Slower, more deliberate, cerebral.

Jackson stayed in college for a few years and got stronger. Ennis should do the same.

Cheeks was never considered "fast". That perception may come from the way he changed speed and direction. Cheeks was also considered one of the smartest point guards in the game.

I don't think either of them are ready. As for Mo Cheeks, he played during a different era. While it's a solid comparison, I'm not so sure that translates to today's game.

I wish someone would define what constitutes an "era". If Cheeks played in a different era then so did Jordan as their careers overlapped for about ten years. I don't buy the different era argument unless you are talking pre- 1970. If you don't think the likes of Julius Erving, George Gervin, Pete Maravich, Wes Unseld, and Bob McAdoo just to name a few, could not compete in today's NBA you would be dead wrong.

For a modern day comparison, Ennis reminds a lot of Mike Conley. Conley wasn't much of a shooter as a freshman either but had a major impact on the game as a facilitator and on the defense end. Statistically their freshman years are quite similar as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom