Ennis Nba tidbit | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis Nba tidbit

Ennis could use another year. Grant on the other hand just needs to bulk up over the summer and develop a jump shot at some point and he'll be a very very good player.
But aren't those exactly the reasons Grant could use another year?

His dad knows what it takes to play in the NBA.
Gotta be awfully strong to go 82 games and take the pounding.
I think they both may be back.

Ennis is an over all better player with a much greater skill set than MCW had at this time last year. If you don't think so then ask yourself this. Who would you want running your team. I think most would say Ennis hands down.

I would want Ennis running my college team, but I would want MCW running my NBA team, at least based on what we know about each player to date.

Why - Ennis's skill set, decision making, court presence, and ability to control tempo tends to maximize the talent of lesser skilled college players, IMO. But, I am not sure how much his size and strength will limit his production in the NBA.

MCW's inconsistent decision making and more aggressive play making tended to increase turnovers and expose the weaknesses of lesser skilled college players, IMO. On the other hand, his length, wingspan, and quickness are accentuated at the NBA level. Always thought he was going to be a better pro than a college player.

Shermthegeneral said:
I think they both stay! Grant doesn't need the money and isn't ready and Ennis needs 1-2 more years to get stronger.

You must do the Grant family books. They're really doing well?

anglerman said:
Ennis is an over all better player with a much greater skill set than MCW had at this time last year. If you don't think so then ask yourself this. Who would you want running your team. I think most would say Ennis hands down.

Not true. MCWs skill set was never an issue. It's not criminal to say that MCW is and was a better player than Tyler is. Doesn't mean the worse player isn't better for the team.

And I'd rather have Ennis running this team than Kyre Irving, doesn't mean Ennis is a better player. I would rather have CJ Fair than Andrew Wiggins, but Wiggins is a better player. We have the right fits on this team, Gmac was great for our team with no shot at the NBA, but was a great fit, JJ Reddick was a better player and it wasn't close, but I would have taken Gmac for out team.

I'll be the contrary voice here. I think MCW was meaningfully under-rated during his time here and Ennis has probably been a little over-rated. (Mandatory pause in a likely fruitless attempt not to be misunderstood: Ennis is awesome and we could not be luckier to have him.)

I think it's likely Syracuse would have the same record it does now if MCW was on the team. I also think some of these close wins would have been blow-outs.

I think MCW is a victim and Ennis a beneficiary of the way we all view sports in terms of narratives. Syracuse started the season 25-0, Ennis had a great run of late-game heroics, so the narrative is he's a mature winner. MCW had the Lord and Taylor incident, a looser playing style, and a very tough stretch in the latter third of the regular season, so the narrative is he's a kind of a boom-and-bust guy who screwed up a lot. But he was dominant at times, no more so than during the NCAA tournament.

I really, really like Ennis. But I don't see what "skill set" he has that is greater than MCW. He makes fewer mistakes, to be sure, and that's a skill, though it's in significant part just conservatism - he takes a lot fewer risks than MCW. He has a tighter handle, although MCW's is probably about as good as could reasonably be expected for a 6'6" guy (and obviously that height is a big advantage). Maybe Ennis is a hair better as a shooter?

Col. Bleep said:
But aren't those exactly the reasons Grant could use another year? His dad knows what it takes to play in the NBA. Gotta be awfully strong to go 82 games and take the pounding. I think they both may be back.

Grant is getting drafted based on elite athleticism not because of his basketball skill. He stays and doesn't improve his game he slips and stays another year. He doesn't improve again, he risks second round or not drafted at all. You go when your stock is the highest, I think Grants is as high as it's getting where Ennis might not be a lottery pick this year and doesn't have the stacked class like this year.

Grant is getting drafted based on elite athleticism not because of his basketball skill. He stays and doesn't improve his game he slips and stays another year. He doesn't improve again, he risks second round or not drafted at all. You go when your stock is the highest, I think Grants is as high as it's getting where Ennis might not be a lottery pick this year and doesn't have the stacked class like this year.
Ran into Grant's folks the night of the UND game. The dad said don't be so sure that Jerami will try to turn pro at the end of the year.

I hear what you are saying Rebar, but looking at Cooney and Grant it seems like advice from our trainers and strength coach was pretty darn good too.

Orangeyes said:
Ran into Grant's folks the night of the UND game. The dad said don't be so sure that Jerami will try to turn pro at the end of the year.

And when he starts looking at it realistically and realizes he's in the lottery with basically a not very well rounded skillset, he'd be stupid not to go.

He needs to improve greatly and every year he doesn't take a great leap his stock drops.

He doesn't develop a jumper between now and next season he's toast when it comes to the lottery.

And when he starts looking at it realistically and realizes he's in the lottery with basically a not very well rounded skillset, he'd be stupid not to go.

He needs to improve greatly and every year he doesn't take a great leap his stock drops.

He doesn't develop a jumper between now and next season he's toast when it comes to the lottery.

True, but Grant has shown flashes of that jumper this year, he needs to improve his consistency. With a summer of work, I don't think its very hard to imagine Grant improving his jumper. If there is any family that knows what it takes to be successful in the NBA, its the Grant family. If they tell him he won't make it until he has a jumper, you have to imagine Grant will listen. Also if his family tells him he is going to be the best prospect on a a preseason top 3 team that has a significant chance to win a title... thats got a pretty good chance of making him a top 5 guy (if that all comes to pass of course)

Personally I hope he does stay. Way too easy for a kid to go pro these days. The NBA eats kids like this on a daily basis. Yeah there's the injury factor but IMFAO it's worth waiting a year to learn the game and enjoy being a kid while you can.
Tyler Ennis was never a kid.

True, but Grant has shown flashes of that jumper this year, he needs to improve his consistency. With a summer of work, I don't think its very hard to imagine Grant improving his jumper. If there is any family that knows what it takes to be successful in the NBA, its the Grant family. If they tell him he won't make it until he has a jumper, you have to imagine Grant will listen. Also if his family tells him he is going to be the best prospect on a a preseason top 3 team that has a significant chance to win a title... thats got a pretty good chance of making him a top 5 guy (if that all comes to pass of course)

If you can project Grant developing a jumper, the NBA scouts can too.

Libero2 said:

I'm not disagreeing with your points at all because you're correct. But it doesn't have anything to do with maximizing your potential.

If he's a top 13 pick, he needs to go, even if that means risking a top 5 pick next year. He needs to improve a ton to be a top 5 pick in 2015.

Jesus...keeping Ennis and grant...adding big C and kj? Damn... What a juicy thought

Hopefully it's true. One of the guys responded to his tweet and said that a family friend of Ennis' said that his family expects him to declare.
boo.gif

I hear what you are saying Rebar, but looking at Cooney and Grant it seems like advice from our trainers and strength coach was pretty darn good too.

I'm not taking anything away from Cabiles at all. He does a very good job while having to also help other teams, which is kind of my point. In the NBA, there are simply more resources available.

Ennis is a family kid, I do believe ennis would be a bigger need then grant next year though. However Grant could be a absolute beast if he came back and added alittle strength.

I don't think either of them are ready. As for Mo Cheeks, he played during a different era. While it's a solid comparison, I'm not so sure that translates to today's game.

A lot of this has to do with how we do in the NCAA tournament. If we make a run to the final four or win it all and Ennis and Grant play lights out, there both gone. If we get upset in the S16 I think they stay because the tournament definitely inflates your draft stock.

strumpfasaurus said:
A lot of this has to do with how we do in the NCAA tournament. If we make a run to the final four or win it all and Ennis and Grant play lights out, there both gone. If we get upset in the S16 I think they stay because the tournament definitely inflates your draft stock.

Used to improve stock a lot more. Potential, athleticism, and skill is the bread and butter. NBA scouts seem to put more stock in the combines and workouts than a final four run. Fair could average 28 and 10 a game during the tournament and it probably won't do much. Not to mention if you go all the way 2 or 3 of the teams you play are garbage or close to garbage so with the three left, is 3 games really going to convince a scout or gm to draft a guy when you have 30+ games that were looked at? Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Embiid could put up donuts the entire tournament and they are all still top 5-6 picks.

Used to improve stock a lot more. Potential, athleticism, and skill is the bread and butter. NBA scouts seem to put more stock in the combines and workouts than a final four run. Fair could average 28 and 10 a game during the tournament and it probably won't do much. Not to mention if you go all the way 2 or 3 of the teams you play are garbage or close to garbage so with the three left, is 3 games really going to convince a scout or gm to draft a guy when you have 30+ games that were looked at? Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Embiid could put up donuts the entire tournament and they are all still top 5-6 picks.

Agreed about potential, athleticism, and skill being the main predictors and about how the tournament won't affect top 5 picks like Wiggins and Parker, or fringe first round picks like C.J. But I could definitely see it helping someone like Ennis or Grant who are looking to boost their stock. Look at Mitch Mcgary last year.

I feel more confident about Ennis returning than Grant. This is good news if true. I never blame a kid for leaving early especially if they will go in the lottery.

Without knowing anything about Ennis and his financial situation, the Grant family and their money is readily accessible. Horace earned 67 mil and Harvey earned 23 mil. Unless our Grant has a bloodlust to make up for his dad's failure compared to his uncle, he has far less incentive to go pro than Ennis, who appears to be middle class.

Do millionaire's sons care less about future millions than a poor mans son?

Niastri said:
Without knowing anything about Ennis and his financial situation, the Grant family and their money is readily accessible. Horace earned 67 mil and Harvey earned 23 mil. Unless our Grant has a bloodlust to make up for his dad's failure compared to his uncle, he has far less incentive to go pro than Ennis, who appears to be middle class. Do millionaire's sons care less about future millions than a poor mans son?

I'm sure Horace and Harvey have joint accounts and just hoard their money together knowing that they need to save it incase their son and nephew needs to stay an extra year in college.

How much did Scotty Pippen make?

Iverson?

Antoine Walker?

Spreewell?

Derrick Coleman?

In all reality, you have zero clue what Harvey Grant's financial situation. You have no clue what his values are. Most rich people are rich because they're cheap, because they don't throw their money away, because they don't give their kids whatever you want. You think good old Harvey throws 5 grand a month in Jerami's account? What about his kids that aren't NBA prospects?

People talking about Harvey Grants financial situation like they run his books is quite annoying. Looking up their total salary earned means nothing, and in all reality they probably see half their total salary as you're forgetting taxes and their agent fees not to mention other miscellaneous off the top expenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom