ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse

I just want Hopkins. I know he has 1 win so far this year after last place last year. I don't care if it continues and he is let go from UW. Its a bad fit his recruiting in the east has dried up and he was an outsider in developing recruiting ties in pacific northwest which is a big time talent well. Also I maintain he never wanted to be there to begin with. He will come back here home where he belongs and those recruiting wells will spring again.
I want Hopkins back here next year...as lead assistant again.

I just want Hopkins. I know he has 1 win so far this year after last place last year. I don't care if it continues and he is let go from UW. Its a bad fit his recruiting in the east has dried up and he was an outsider in developing recruiting ties in pacific northwest which is a big time talent well. Also I maintain he never wanted to be there to begin with. He will come back here home where he belongs and those recruiting wells will spring again.
I like Hop too but he has hardly distinguished himself thus far as a lead man.

Where ?
“I’m not CH, I swear.”
Bobby-Vs-disguise.jpg.cf.jpg

Flynn, Harris, Triche, Rautins, Coleman. Even go back to 87 and 96 when the two team captains both years were upstate NY kids.

I wasn’t saying NO players come from upstate. I was pointing out that there isn’t a plethora of them.

Im still hoping it’s Oats. Unfortunately the chances of that took another blow this year. But I’m confident SU would continue being a force in basketball with him.

Need ESPN+ to access to the full article.

Summary: Job is not in the same class as the other 2. Cooley, Willard, Autry, GMac are their candidates.

I personally would not be excited in any way with any of the 4.
Hop was the #1 candidate they discussed, FYI.

I wouldn’t say tons. There’s some.
NY State matters but it’s the whole Northeast corridor, from Boston to the DMV, that’s our main territory. Troy Weaver and Hop laid it out years ago when they took over recruiting: Focus and try to dominate that area, and it will pay the most dividends. And that worked up until recently.

No to Cooley. He’s done ok at Providence, but what has he ever won? I don’t see any top 20 recruits going to Providence.

Yes, that was really bad journalism. Schools like Duke and UNC have regularly recruited the fertile Northeast to stay relevant in college basketball. The quality of HS basketball in the Carolinas is better now than it used to be but it is not as good as the hoops in the Northeast. Not close.

Syracuse is in a great place to recruit basketball players. Within 4 or 5 hours of NYC, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, etc. There are more top notch HSA/prep basketball players in our 4 hour radius than any other school in the ACC.

Period.
Thank you, Tom. Some people are clueless. And glad you mentioned Toronto. That’s an area we do well in, but one that we can dominate.

He is an interesting candidate. Do not knock the job he’s done getting that program back to respectability.

He can coach and recruit.
He is 51. Has strong roots in New England. I think he is easily the best coach in that region. Would be a great hire at BC or UConn.

PC is a good fit for him. I like him and hope he continues to do well. But I would prefer to hire someone with a more commanding presence who would energize the fan base.

I am all for Hop as the next guy. If that isn't going to happen after watching Alabama last night I think Cuse would be crazy not to speak with Oats. I don't care what he said about Coach K. They are the 3rd best team in the country in my opinion. Fun to watch and I am sure that style is very attractive to potential recruits. Just my $.02

Now that Oats is specifically a 'non' Boeheim guy I like him a lot more.

I mean how can you place the proper expectations of a program of our stature on one of the assistants who is a former player?

Sorry but once JB steps down its not his program anymore.

Hop is different you can give him high expectations and a short leash but not Red or Gmac.

I want the Drake coach Devries shocked he still hasn't gotten a better job. Been mentioning him for a few years on here.

I don't understand what you're saying-He isn't trying to win at Washington?

I don't understand what you're saying-He isn't trying to win at Washington?

I believe he knows things won't be getting better at UW. So he doesn't want to be there anymore. He knows SU will call him when JB retires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom