ESPN Game Day is cancelled | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Game Day is cancelled

Rally behind Jim? Everyone already is rallying behind him everyone on this board and the city and the state. I’ve seen post from Kentucky and UConn fans rallying to an extent...one hour of nationally televised game day isn’t gonna change the appearance or the rallying for Jim. This is out of respect of the family of the deceased and for Jim.

You turned your perspective off.

Yes but we would have had a chance to show it in front of a national televised audience.

I think the Syracuse fan base could have used a little glimmer of excitement and I think we could have forgot all about the accident for an hour and just be pumped up for the game.

I would have continued with college game day and just made no mention of the accident. Just to keep the celebration nature they refer to. And at very end of the show say you thoughts and prayers are with the Jimnez family and the Boehiem family. Think that would be a good and classy way to handle the situation.

You say it's a respect thing but I don't think continuing the show would be disrespectful either

Rally behind Jim? Everyone already is rallying behind him everyone on this board and the city and the state. I’ve seen post from Kentucky and UConn fans rallying to an extent...one hour of nationally televised game day isn’t gonna change the appearance or the rallying for Jim. This is out of respect of the family of the deceased and for Jim.

You turned your perspective off.

Game day starts at 11 AM and runs until 8 PM. Not "an hour".

GameDay also invites a lot of “fun” signs. Almost any message such signs would contain could easily be interpreted as in bad form under these circumstances.

I feel so bad for the students who wasted there time camping out for college game day.

They will just have to settle for the unfortunate Saturday agenda of drinking/partying all afternoon, followed by attending the largest crowd in college basketball history, followed by drinking/partying all night. Thoughts and prayers are with them.

What can be said in Bristol can be said in Syracuse. Just cancel the goofy stuff, cover the story and the game. They are still doing "a show". They could do whatever they were planning to do in that show here. It's not more respectful to do that show in Bristol rather than Syracuse.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that there isn't a right answer here. Yes, cancelling it during this tough time is a respectful thing to do but if they didn't cancel it, they could have handled it in such a way to be respectful to the situation and pay some sort of tribute to the gentleman that was killed. At the end of the day, they felt cancelling it was best and I am not sure there is an argument either way that would prove it definitely right or definitely wrong. Given the ultra "PC" environment we live in today, making this move was probably the easiest answer. If they didn't cancel it, there would be people admonishing them for being insensitive. At least now, they are just getting ridicule from those who actually ARE insensitive and don't understand that the optics may look bad and that life and death is FAR more important that a broadcast. No one is being punished here. To even insinuate that makes me question the logic of some.

I've been thinking about this all day. SU crisis management. I bet this is nothing they've game-planned before. Every decision will be second guessed. JB contacts the family, or supports them financially? -sign of guilt. Moment of silence before the game? Could deflate the energy and home court advantage. Every decision will be micro-examined and shamed. Boeheim gives an in depth interview? Will distract from next game prep. VERY difficult for Athletics. I'm glad Wildhack is at helm. ESPN has had plenty of experience in these sudden events

They will just have to settle for the unfortunate Saturday agenda of drinking/partying all afternoon, followed by attending the largest crowd in college basketball history, followed by drinking/partying all night. Thoughts and prayers are with them.

Well apparently to most here partying and drinking all day would be disrespectful...

Yes but we would have had a chance to show it in front of a national televised audience.

I think the Syracuse fan base could have used a little glimmer of excitement and I think we could have forgot all about the accident for an hour and just be pumped up for the game.

I would have continued with college game day and just made no mention of the accident. Just to keep the celebration nature they refer to. And at very end of the show say you thoughts and prayers are with the Jimnez family and the Boehiem family. Think that would be a good and classy way to handle the situation.

You say it's a respect thing but I don't think continuing the show would be disrespectful either

There is gonna be a glimmer of excitement when fans come together to watch this game that’s been hyped for a while now.

Gonna see cuse fans and duke fans showing their respect towards a man and a family that probably only a few knew.
There isn’t any way SU doesn’t hold a moment of silence for the family.

Not mentioning it would be even worse IMO, acting like nothing happened and moving on with festivities. The national eyes for sports are on Syracuse right now.
And I do believe that the students will do something in the deceased memory, at least I hope they do

But to each their own opinion and look at the situation, everyone perspective is different.

Stay safe brother.

A few people have different takes I don't think our entire fanbase is going downhill.

“Different” is how you want to package some of the sewage presented here today in written format?

Okay.

Doing game day would require them all (including drunk college kids) to thread a needle that is very hard to thread.

Everyone is better served by cancelling.

ESPN can do a regular-ish show from Bristol. Syracuse can focus solely on the game. No one needs to worry about the wrong sign being in the crowd or someone saying or doing the wrong thing.

Unfortunate, but as had been said, far from the worst thing anyone has had to deal with this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom