ESPN: Maryland to big ten on Monday | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Maryland to big ten on Monday

What I don't understand most of you are saying that if MD leaves then FSU and Clemson will leave? Why? What does Maryland bring to the table? They are awful in football and basketball. I don't get why because MD will leave that means FSU will bolt also. Doesn't make sense.

It's strategic. Think it just comes down to people going into rage/panic mode. It's a spark for people already considering a move. B10 takes a couple here. SEC takes a couple there. B12 makes some noise. Never know.

What I don't understand most of you are saying that if MD leaves then FSU and Clemson will leave? Why? What does Maryland bring to the table? They are awful in football and basketball. I don't get why because MD will leave that means FSU will bolt also. Doesn't make sense.

Especially if the SEC has no desire to get to 16.

Terp fans do not want it.

Terp alumni which have spoken up to not want it.

Terp Chancellor does not want it

Terp President and some other Terp high ups do.

It will come down to their Board of Regents who will make the final decision if there is a final decision to make.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

conference expansion is laughably short-sighted and stupid.

I agree with what Omni said the other day. We'll see these conference bloat and maintain for a while. And then one of them will get so dysfunctional that it will splinter into, say, a 9 team league, and then that will be the trend for a while.

I agree with what Omni said the other day. We'll see these conference bloat and maintain for a while. And then one of them will get so dysfunctional that it will splinter into, say, a 9 team league, and then that will be the trend for a while.

Yeah, i could see that. there has to be some thread between teams other than simply money. If it's ONLY money then there will be a constant merry-go-round. it's ok, but just hard to really give a stuff as a fan ... and that has to have a financial impact.

It's strategic. Think it just comes down to people going into rage/panic mode. It's a spark for people already considering a move. B10 takes a couple here. SEC takes a couple there. B12 makes some noise. Never know.
This^^^
The bottomline is, was, and always will be money.
The ACC pulls in less $$ than the other Big 5.
FSU/Clemson feel like they won't remain competitive with the UF's/SCarolina's in recruiting & facilities, if they remain in a weaker ACC. They also feel like the league is Carolina & bball centric, while ignoring the football side which drives the bus.
Also, Swofford's about-face on ND and partial membership supposedly rubbed MD the wrong way.
None of that matters to us unless/until the panic hits and folks start to jump.
Lets hope sanity prevails come Monday.

Terp fans do not want it.

Terp alumni which have spoken up to not want it.

Terp Chancellor does not want it

Terp President and some other Terp high ups do.

It will come down to their Board of Regents who will make the final decision if there is a final decision to make.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't the Terrapin club have to foot the $50 million if they leave? Are they really going to have enough alumni pony up that cash if so many of them are against it?

For RU it makes all the sense in the world, congrats (ughhh) to them if true. For Maryland, it seems like it would take them years to recoup the money they'd lose between the exit fee and increased travel costs. Add in the loss of valued rivals, it hardly seems worth it.

Doesn't the Terrapin club have to foot the $50 million if they leave? Are they really going to have enough alumni pony up that cash if so many of them are against it?

For RU it makes all the sense in the world, congrats (ughhh) to them if true. For Maryland, it seems like it would take them years to recoup the money they'd lose between the exit fee and increased travel costs. Add in the loss of valued rivals, it hardly seems worth it.

Auto-Armour. Just like Oregon has Nike paying their bills Maryland will get their cash cow to pay the 50 million.

To me this is their (Big 10/12/ now 14) counter to ND finally making a decision and knew Maryland is as good with their money as congress is with ours. I'd be thrilled with ND just joining and saying goodbye to maryland, it's a great trade.

I think this goes nowhere. Think about all the exapnsion that has happened in the past. There we no "talks" it was swift. One minute Nebraska is with the B12, nect minute reports are they are GOING to the B10. Same for Pitt and SU, Colorado, Utah etc. Whenever there are "talks" they go nowhere. See Mizzou RU to Big10, FSU, Clemson to B12 etc

This^^^
The bottomline is, was, and always will be money.
The ACC pulls in less $$ than the other Big 5.
FSU/Clemson feel like they won't remain competitive with the UF's/SCarolina's in recruiting & facilities, if they remain in a weaker ACC. They also feel like the league is Carolina & bball centric, while ignoring the football side which drives the bus.
Also, Swofford's about-face on ND and partial membership supposedly rubbed MD the wrong way.
None of that matters to us unless/until the panic hits and folks start to jump.
Lets hope sanity prevails come Monday.

Maybe it rubbed MD the wrong way cuz they were hoping ND would join the B10 after they bolted. Agreed about hoping sanity prevails...but I doubt it.

The league is strong enough to survive without MD but it certainly screws Cuse.

These wide ranging conferences make absolutely no sense when you take into account travel for all of the non money making sports. So Maryland field hockey has to go to Nebraska now? Just like wvu swimming has to fly to Lubbock. Has anyone looked into how much these schools have to eat in travel costs?

These wide ranging conferences make absolutely no sense when you take into account travel for all of the non money making sports. So Maryland field hockey has to go to Nebraska now? Just like wvu swimming has to fly to Lubbock. Has anyone looked into how much these schools have to eat in travel costs?
If the TV $$$ dries up (which is very possible as technology evolves) you'll see a change back to smaller conferences.

I wonder what the heck is going to happen to the big east if this does happen, how do the schools coming over feel about losing rutty and who knows how long uconn and louisville will stay. Add to this the lack of aq and I'd say this might be it for football for the conference.

I wonder what the heck is going to happen to the big east if this does happen, how do the schools coming over feel about losing rutty and who knows how long uconn and louisville will stay. Add to this the lack of aq and I'd say this might be it for football for the conference.
Big East football is dead. Unless they start inviting warm bodies. UMass?

Big East football is dead. Unless they start inviting warm bodies. UMass?

UMass and Nova just to get something for Cincy to play. I wonder if they (Cincy) leaves for CUSA if Louisville and Uconn turn the light off?

It's going to be interesting at Maryland, from what little we can tell Loh and Anderson who are not loved one bit by the Terps community are for this, and everyone else basically against - probably because it's illogical. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in these meetings.

FSU came into College Park yesterday, and attraked 35k warm souls on what was the most perfect fall day in these parts that one can imagine. Hoops school...

It's going to be interesting at Maryland, from what little we can tell Loh and Anderson who are not loved one bit by the Terps community are for this, and everyone else basically against - probably because it's illogical. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in these meetings.

FSU came into College Park yesterday, and attraked 35k warm souls on what was the most perfect fall day in these parts that one can imagine. Hoops school...

If you think there was a small crowd for FSU ay UMCP, wait to you see the throng assembled to see Indiana and Minnesota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom