F1 2022 Season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

F1 2022 Season

Sainz bet down the shitter at turn 1.

I had reserved a suite at the Miami race through work. Paid the deposit and the day we were to pick the suite location they tripled the price. Needless to say I wasn’t happy and 150k was a non starter. Seeing some of the setup as much as I want to watch the race live it looks kind of cheesy. I am sure it is fun, but Miami seems like a complete novelty.

I had reserved a suite at the Miami race through work. Paid the deposit and the day we were to pick the suite location they tripled the price. Needless to say I wasn’t happy and 150k was a non starter. Seeing some of the setup as much as I want to watch the race live it looks kind of cheesy. I am sure it is fun, but Miami seems like a complete novelty.

That is insane.

I heard ticket prices alone were sky high, that's pretty ridiculous for a hotel rate.

Apparently drivers are saying the sim sessions are great and that theres tons of places to overtake. Theyre expecting a good race. Im not a fan of the parking lot grand prix's, I like the natural elevation changes and such but supposedly the Miami track is going to be good.

I heard ticket prices alone were sky high, that's pretty ridiculous for a hotel rate.

Apparently drivers are saying the sim sessions are great and that theres tons of places to overtake. Theyre expecting a good race. Im not a fan of the parking lot grand prix's, I like the natural elevation changes and such but supposedly the Miami track is going to be good.
I really hope so. I had a couple shots at tickets but $900 for GA is pretty gross and I couldn't justify buying 2 as I'd need to bring my wife as well. If I was single I may have done it just to do it but at $1800, no thanks.

sorry that wasn't for the hotel, that was for a 20 person suite at the race.

Pretty typical race. Kinda boring and then ramped up to pretty great after the Gasly/Norris safety car.

Footage from 60 years ago, the 1962 Monaco Grand Prix, taken from one of the last Cinerama films:

Last edited:
Footage from 60 years ago, the 1962 Monaco Grand Prix, taken for one of the last Cinerama films:

Track made a lot of sense with those little cars. It's so brutally terrible with these new cars that are double the size.

Track made a lot of sense with those little cars. It's so brutally terrible with these new cars that are double the size.

It was a lot easier to pass in those days. Modern cars hold the road better. But I love the "flying cigar" look.

New Movie

Rush was done real well, hopefully we get another big bidget good one. So many good stories in F1 throughout its existance hoping they mirror Rush and keep it based on true events.

New Movie

Rush was done real well, hopefully we get another big bidget good one. So many good stories in F1 throughout its existance hoping they mirror Rush and keep it based on true events.

Was just reading about that! Hopefully it's a good one. I wonder if all the new F1 attention will put more eyes on Rush. It was a really solid movie.

Has been an interesting season so far. This is the first season that I've followed closely from the start. Add in the podcasts and articles, I've been learning a ton. The only bummer so far has been the time zone issues, which are understandable. You'd have to think though, if ESPN, NBC, Netflix or Amazon are going to pay $100m for the US TV rights, they'd want to make sure a large portion of their audience is actually awake for the action? I don't mind getting up at 7am, it's the 4 or 5am time slots that are killing me. I hate replays, but I'll watch the race replay for sure. It's the practices and quali that I find myself not always going back and watching. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I don't understand HAAS's decision to not release any upgrades for another 4 or 5 races. I understand there's a cost associated with these upgrades, and I guess you can only have so many per season, but I would think you'd want the best car possible, as early as possible. But again, I'm new here, ol Guenther has been around a while.

I hope Mick gets it figured out. Again, I know I'm new here, but I think the sport is better with a Schumacher in it.

It's been interesting watching Ricciardo's journey. When I was introduced to DTS, he was with Red Bull fighting for wins and podiums. Now people are saying he might not survive the season. I'm hearing Aston Martin for a landing spot, which wouldn't be horrible but man...
It's been fun watching Lando tho! He's very quickly growing on me.

Is it weird that I don't dislike Max as much as I thought I would?

Love me some Albon. Really hopes someone scoops him up

I wish I knew more about F2 and F3. Who was who, who was racing for who, all that jazz. I know it probably wouldn't work logistically, but it would be cool if they filled the F1 off weekends with F2 and F3 coverage. Would scratch our racing itch for the weekend, and keep us up to speed on the newcomers. I think I'll spring for F1 TV next season, just because of the lower level coverage.

On that note, why do F1 tv producers suck so bad... It's horrible. It seems like they show everything, except the action on the track sometimes. There's a battle going on, and we're watching a rear cam of Latifi just cruising around. It's a bit annoying.

Monaco- With my limited knowledge and brand new passion, I'm staying out of the Monaco discussion. The rain and team mistakes made this year pretty interesting, but I can see how it could be a total snooze fest. Are there any examples in other sport where they dropped a venue/event due to things like the sport out growing it? idk.. It seems like widening the track, or changing the layout might be impossible.. The only solution I've been able to come up with so far is making it an exhibition race for charity, and putting all the drivers back in karts.

The Indy 500 was a few weeks ago, and got me thinking about a few things. Out of all the new American F1 fans that DTS has created, I'd guess that 95% of them couldn't afford to get to an actual F1 race. Could this lead to growing popularity in the Indy car series? I for one have bailed on my COTA plans, and am going to hit a few IMSA races and Long Beach next year instead. Hopefully Indy car can capitalize on all these new fans of motorsport.

Kind of on that same note, as Indy continues to grow will that have an impact on F1 rosters? Drivers like Ricciardo, who are looking at spending the last 4 or 5 years in mid pack cars fighting for top 10s, why not head over to Indy and see what you can do? Gotta be more lucrative than sportscars or endurance racing, no?
Anyone here follow Indy much? I need to start giving it more attention.

The only bummer so far has been the time zone issues, which are understandable. You'd have to think though, if ESPN, NBC, Netflix or Amazon are going to pay $100m for the US TV rights, they'd want to make sure a large portion of their audience is actually awake for the action? I don't mind getting up at 7am, it's the 4 or 5am time slots that are killing me.
I loovvvve the 7/8/9 am race starts, best way to start the day and not have it take up the whole day, but yeah Australia, Japan, etc can be really tough for American viewers. I actually hate the Montreal GP and Vegas / Miami / Austin races because of the late start, really screws with my day selfishly.
I don't understand HAAS's decision to not release any upgrades for another 4 or 5 races. I understand there's a cost associated with these upgrades, and I guess you can only have so many per season, but I would think you'd want the best car possible, as early as possible. But again, I'm new here, ol Guenther has been around a while.

I hope Mick gets it figured out. Again, I know I'm new here, but I think the sport is better with a Schumacher in it.
Not positive but it could be because of Micks crashes and the budget cap. Hes had like 2 crashes thus far that have cost HAAS over a million each. Mick seams like such a good kid, mix in his legacy and the tragedy of his father and I think just about everyone is praying he gets it together. He was an F2 champ, its in him, just not sure whats keeping him from putting it all together.
Is it weird that I don't dislike Max as much as I thought I would?
I like Max, media try to portray him as kinda of a jerk, but him and my guy Sergio have been doing great together. I think hes just a real private guy and it makes him look like a dick. Low key family guy like Checo seems to be a great fit with him.
It's been interesting watching Ricciardo's journey. When I was introduced to DTS, he was with Red Bull fighting for wins and podiums. Now people are saying he might not survive the season. I'm hearing Aston Martin for a landing spot, which wouldn't be horrible but man...
It's been fun watching Lando tho! He's very quickly growing on me.
Rooting for Danny but hes made some aweful career choices and hes really sucking it up. Lando owns him so far. Dude has not lived up to the hype post RB and I could totally see Gasly taking his seat if he gets bounced. He hasn't really shown that he deserves to be in F1. Swapping him with an Indy driver to give Pato his F1 shot would make sense too. Danny would thrive in America popularity wise racing for Indy-car, or even NASCAR.
The Indy 500 was a few weeks ago, and got me thinking about a few things. Out of all the new American F1 fans that DTS has created, I'd guess that 95% of them couldn't afford to get to an actual F1 race. Could this lead to growing popularity in the Indy car series? I for one have bailed on my COTA plans, and am going to hit a few IMSA races and Long Beach next year instead. Hopefully Indy car can capitalize on all these new fans of motorsport.

Kind of on that same note, as Indy continues to grow will that have an impact on F1 rosters? Drivers like Ricciardo, who are looking at spending the last 4 or 5 years in mid pack cars fighting for top 10s, why not head over to Indy and see what you can do? Gotta be more lucrative than sportscars or endurance racing, no?
Anyone here follow Indy much? I need to start giving it more attention.
F1 is the pinnacle of racing, look at KMag. Better to be in the mid field or back-marker than anywhere else. I don't follow Indy but the problem I see with F1 fans jumping on the Indy band wagon is that its a spec series. Good for drivers, but fans use to watching F1 I'm guessing wont care for that aspect. I know I hate that aspect and wont watch because of that.

Last edited:
As far as Danny goes it is painful to watch. I have really become a Mclaren fan. Both drivers are likable, long history but not much success in the last decade. Trying to understand the challenge is interesting and another layer I didn't fully understand in the build of the cars. McLaren builds their cars with a soft nose, which effectively means they are really poor on slow corners, and don't have a ton of ability to late break into a turn. DR's career was built on late braking overtakes. He just doesn't fit the car, hard to say he doesn't deserve a seat when Latifi, Stroll have seats ( I know Stroll has to have one).

DR does not look at all confident in the car which you may as well not even race without confidence. He has had some bad luck on top of all of it

that said the decision to go there looks very bad as he is not a fit for the car. Lando on the other hand is, and in my mind is a top 4 driver skill wise. Put him in a Ferrari and he fights for a championship.

I mentioned previously that I wasn't a big fan of DR or his personality. The way he's handling this season has really changed that. If someone can go through what he's going through and remain upbeat and positive (even faking it), is cool with me. I was rooting for him hard this morning.

Freaking Stroll, ruined the end of Q1. Speaking of that, come on... This needs to be fixed. I'd almost rather them just end the session if there's less than 5 mins remaining. OR, if there's less than 5 mins remaining, don't start the clock until all drivers are out of the pits. Having all the drivers come out, bunched up, for one final shot to advance is stupid. I don't think a single driver improved their time in the last 2:30. Drivers with good times slowing up drivers trying to get in.. There's got to be a better way.

I'm hearing Latifi might be replaced mid season by Piastri? Can Williams afford to lose out on Latifi's monies?

68 gear shifts a lap??! That's crazy. I like this track, excited for tomorrow!

2C155AE2-68C4-4B0F-A6F0-4F73D115BC4B.jpeg

Baku is such a great track. With my limited knowledge what stands out is that there are multiple overtake opportunities. Additionally it seems that the track doesn't purely reward speed. The teams have to either choose speed on the straights or in the corners. The straight speed of the Alpine was something else, but other than them in the midfield lap times were similar with different setups. Ferrari may have seen their season go down the toilet today. They went from fighting red bull to seeing Mercedes in their rear view in the constructors cup.

How many weeks are they going to watch Latifi ignore blue flags without a major penalty? I thought Carlos was going to put him in a headlock last week.

Baku was a fun one. It's crazy watching Ferrari have these issues. I need gain some knowledge on engine penalties, as it looks like they're going to have a few.
Bummer for KMag, he had a shot at points today.

Those Alpines seem to be impossible to get around

Love seeing the duct tape being utilized. Now we're motor racing! lol

Going to miss most of the Canadian Grand Prix, gotta run to Utah to scoop my camper up from the mechanics.

I have had the indy car race on for a while now. Doesn't seem near as entertaining as F1, but we're heading into the closing laps so we'll see.

I was worried FIA was going to change car design regulations or something to basically accommodate mec. This seems like the perfect solution. Set a maximum porpoising limit, and if you're over that you will be required to raise the ride height until you're under the limit. Which I believe most teams have already done.

porpousing.jpg

Is Piastri to replace Latifi after this week official?
I'm still trying to decipher which F1 websites are legit, and which are basically buzzfeed

Is Piastri to replace Latifi after this week official?
I'm still trying to decipher which F1 websites are legit, and which are basically buzzfeed
Sounds like it is happening mid season or they may wait until 2023. Latifi is Canadian so makes sense to let him race his home GP. Piastri is too good to sit back and be a reserve driver from the sounds of it. Alos hear Giovanazzi returns in Mick's seat next season. Not sure I believe that, but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom