FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Rick
giphy.gif
Now now. Gloat all you want, but you'll miss Slick Rick the same way we miss Convict U in college football. Every hero needs a worthy villain.

They (the assistants) are there to fall off of buildings , to take the plunge for their bosses. Misnamed assistant coaches they really should be named "Fall Guys" Should have known that Johnny "the Cat" Gatto would be in the middle of this. Wonder if Nike and Under Armour been investigated too?

They didn't seem crazy then. Anyone who thought that Calipari was magically pulling 6 5 stars a year on his beckoning call just because he was an expert at placing them into the NBA was either in denial or dense. Guy has cheated everywhere he has been.

Quade Green's recruitment smelled like a dead skunk and for a reason.
For sure. I don't buy Zelda's "they're just so good" argument for a minute. One school -- especially one that hires a coach with a jaded past -- doesn't suddenly pull off miracle recruiting season after miracle recruiting season b/c the coach is so good at "placing" kids in the NBA? He's dirty. The only question is when he'll get caught.

Last edited:
He posted it knowing someone told him about one...people that don't know the law are pretty dumb about this stuff.

He's a reporter unless he was a witness before the grand jury I don't believe there is any prohibition on him disclosing what another person has told him. I'm not even sure that it's settled law that a witness can be legally precluded from disclosing that he appeared and what he knows.

Brutal and honest assessment from a poster on the Cards board:

"I don't care if people in Los Angeles California, Omaha Nebraska, or Albuquerque New Mexico look at this as a "national scandal". And I don't care if another 80 schools are eventually implicated. For us, right here, right now...this pertains to Louisville. And bottom line, we are royally f***ked. We committed pay-for-play NCAA violations, that were captured via wire tap. Let that sink in for a minute.

Pitino will be forced to resign within the next 48 hours. I will be shocked if Jurich isn't forced to do the same by weeks end. The NCAA is going to hammer us with penalties, possibly even the death penalty, because we're currently on probation for another scandal. Recruits are going to run for the hills, current players will transfer, and no coach is going to want to take over this disaster.

Some can try to spin it however they want, but this is going to set this Athletic Department back a decade, if not longer.

Beyond disgusted."

Calipari was handing out money at UMass years ago.

It’s amazin he’s still coaching college. The NCAA has turned their back to this for years. It took the FBI to finally make a stand.

I'm sure he knew nothing about it so he's completely innocent. :rolling:

Somehow, I'm finding sympathy for these cheating assistant coaches. They're on the hook for years and years of prison time, while the true benefactors, the higher-ups, will maintain enough 'plausible deniability' to skate if the cases are mere hearsay assertions against head coaches and administrators.

What kind of salary would an assistant need to get for sticking his neck out so far? Or, do they only get the jobs because they're willing to engage in nefarious dealings?

• Hard to see how the NCAA could justify Adidas remaining a player in collegiate athletics now.
• If the FBI had any inkling they could possibly rope in Kentucky or Duke, et al, you'd think they would have kept this under wraps until they could make those cases. In my mind, those two schools have always been the Harvard and Yale of getting great athletes to the NBA, so they were sought-after, and didn't need to resort to this level of criminality. Wouldn't surprise me if Cal had six degrees of separation from his own bag men, but i don't think he needs this. Same with Duke. As hypocritical and occasionally slimy as K can be, i don't think he's this level of slimy. There's no Quinn Snyder on his staff.

The FBI should be implying that there is much more to come, just to catalyze the fear factor, and to get more people volunteering information in exchange for free passes.
There is no way WWE and Cal aren't paying kids. Whether they get caught is a different conversation.

How do the players and families with integrity and morals not expose this when they present it to them and they decline? It is then confirmation that the decks are stacked if you're not part of it

It's the "don't be a rat" culture. Didn't Melo do a video about that?

They didn't seem crazy then. Anyone who thought that Calipari was magically pulling 6 5 stars a year on his beckoning call just because he was an expert at placing them into the NBA was either in denial or dense. Guy has cheated everywhere he has been.

Quade Green's recruitment smelled like a dead skunk and for a reason.
Quade ... dial up the Bureau before they call you, bro!

"I don't care if people in Los Angeles California, Omaha Nebraska, or Albuquerque New Mexico look at this as a "national scandal". And I don't care if another 80 schools are eventually implicated. For us, right here, right now...this pertains to Louisville. And bottom line, we are royally ***ked. We committed pay-for-play NCAA violations, that were captured via wire tap. Let that sink in for a minute.

Pitino will be forced to resign within the next 48 hours. I will be shocked if Jurich isn't forced to do the same by weeks end. The NCAA is going to hammer us with penalties, possibly even the death penalty, because we're currently on probation for another scandal. Recruits are going to run for the hills, current players will transfer, and no coach is going to want to take over this disaster.

Some can try to spin it however they want, but this is going to set this Athletic Department back a decade, if not longer.

Beyond disgusted."
True

There is no way WWE and Cal aren't paying kids. Whether they get caught is a different conversation.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if the schools you are recruiting against for top 15 talent are paying kids 6 figures and you're landing 5-6 of those kids a year - you're not just doing it on looks alone.

"I don't care if people in Los Angeles California, Omaha Nebraska, or Albuquerque New Mexico look at this as a "national scandal". And I don't care if another 80 schools are eventually implicated. For us, right here, right now...this pertains to Louisville. And bottom line, we are royally ***ked. We committed pay-for-play NCAA violations, that were captured via wire tap. Let that sink in for a minute.

Beyond disgusted."
IMG_1140.GIF

3 years statute of limitations - anyone and any program handing out payments in that window should be sweating.

But not for tax evasion. Fraud throws the four year unpaid tax statute out the window.

What's the over/under on how quickly this spiderwebs to Kentucky? Do we know if any of the recruits that have been sorta identified had Kentucky in their final schools?
I've been posting this same sentiment. How does the CBB/CFB money trail not lead through Lexington and Tuscaloosa?