FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

So did some digging - final 5 schools for 5 star Arizona Commits over past 4 years:

2015 - Allonzo Trier - Arizona (C), Washington, UCLA, Kansas, Louisville
2015 - Ray Smith - Arizona (C), Arizona State, California, Connecticut, Georgetown, Louisville, Texas, UCLA, and USC
2015 - Justin Simon - Arizona (C), Kansas, Louisville, UCLA
2016 - Rawle Alkins - Arizona (C), St. John's, North Carolina, NC State, UNLV
2016 - Lauri Markannan - Arizona (C), North Carolina, Utah
2017 - Deandre Ayton - Arizona (C), Kansas, Kentucky
2017 - Emmanual Akot - Arizona (C), Oregon, Utah, Louisville
2018 - Jahvon Quinerly - Arizona (C), Villanova, UCLA, Seton Hall, Stanford, Kansas, Virginia

Kansas is on that list of finalists as much as Louisville is. Kentucky shows up with Ayton, the #1 ranked prospect in the entire 2017 class.
Good work

So did some digging - final 5 schools for 5 star Arizona Commits over past 4 years:

2015 - Ray Smith - Arizona (C), Arizona State, California, Connecticut, Georgetown, Louisville, Texas, UCLA, and USC
2018 - Jahvon Quinerly - Arizona (C), Villanova, UCLA, Seton Hall, Stanford, Kansas, Virginia

Kansas is on that list of finalists as much as Louisville is. Kentucky shows up with Ayton, the #1 ranked prospect in the entire 2017 class.
UCLA says hello.

Good work.

Lots of the people who got cash are going to talk to the FBI. Why? It's not against the law to receive a cash payment, but it is income tax fraud for not reporting it and paying tax on it. The DOJ will give immunity to anyone who cooperates. We are at the very beginning of this investigation.
How is receiving cash not against the law. Did they pay tax on it? Because these numbers are way over the amount allowed to be a gift. So it is considered taxable income. If one party does not pay the taxes, then the other one must. And did they "demand" the cash, or was it just "offered". Because that is extortion if they asked for it. I will give you something if you pay me for it...

Somehow, I'm finding sympathy for these cheating assistant coaches. They're on the hook for years and years of prison time, while the true benefactors, the higher-ups, will maintain enough 'plausible deniability' to skate if the cases are mere hearsay assertions against head coaches and administrators.

What kind of salary would an assistant need to get for sticking his neck out so far? Or, do they only get the jobs because they're willing to engage in nefarious dealings?

• Hard to see how the NCAA could justify Adidas remaining a player in collegiate athletics now.
• If the FBI had any inkling they could possibly rope in Kentucky or Duke, et al, you'd think they would have kept this under wraps until they could make those cases. In my mind, those two schools have always been the Harvard and Yale of getting great athletes to the NBA, so they were sought-after, and didn't need to resort to this level of criminality. Wouldn't surprise me if Cal had six degrees of separation from his own bag men, but i don't think he needs this. Same with Duke. As hypocritical and occasionally slimy as K can be, i don't think he's this level of slimy. There's no Quinn Snyder on his staff.

The FBI should be implying that there is much more to come, just to catalyze the fear factor, and to get more people volunteering information in exchange for free passes.

I was thinking if some ass't coaches knew there were some players were making more than they themselves were.

How is receiving cash not against the law. Did they pay tax on it? Because these numbers are way over the amount allowed to be a gift. So it is considered taxable income. If one party does not pay the taxes, then the other one must. And did they "demand" the cash, or was it just "offered". Because that is extortion if they asked for it. I will give you something if you pay me for it...

The receiving isn't against the law. It's the not declaring it as income that's against the law.

It's definitely not extortion. More of a quid pro quo. The tax thing would be an issue though.

Is this not extortion? I'll play for you if you pay me money?
no. extortion requires coercion. Pay me or I'll break your leg. Pay me or I'll tell the newspaper you've been cheating on your wife. Not pay me and I'll play basketball for you.

I think I have this right...but if not please correct any errors you see

Adidas Schools

Louisville
Miami FL

NC St.
Indiana
Nebraska
Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona St.
Texas A&M

Nike Schools
Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
North Carolina
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Mich St.
Minnesota
OSU
Penn St
Purdue
Baylor
Iowa St.
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Ok St.
Texas
TCU
WVU
Arizona
Colorado
Oregon
Oregon St.
Stanford
USC
Washington
Washington St.
Alabama
Arkansas
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Missouri
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Under Armour
South Carolina
Auburn

California
UCLA
Utah
Notre Dame
Texas Tech
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Maryland
Boston College

Russel Athletic
Georgia Tech

Brutal and honest assessment from a poster on the Cards board:

"I don't care if people in Los Angeles California, Omaha Nebraska, or Albuquerque New Mexico look at this as a "national scandal". And I don't care if another 80 schools are eventually implicated. For us, right here, right now...this pertains to Louisville. And bottom line, we are royally ***ked. We committed pay-for-play NCAA violations, that were captured via wire tap. Let that sink in for a minute.

Pitino will be forced to resign within the next 48 hours. I will be shocked if Jurich isn't forced to do the same by weeks end. The NCAA is going to hammer us with penalties, possibly even the death penalty, because we're currently on probation for another scandal. Recruits are going to run for the hills, current players will transfer, and no coach is going to want to take over this disaster.

Some can try to spin it however they want, but this is going to set this Athletic Department back a decade, if not longer.

Beyond disgusted."
Brutal and honest, to be sure. The only part I don't agree with is "...no coach is going to want to take over this disaster." Some up and coming coaches will be running over their mothers to take that job, because..Louisville.

Also Adidas, right?
Edit: Arizona is a Nike school. This is all so confusing.
Maybe didn't get caught because not Adidas, but doesn't mean there isn't a latter day Sam Gilbert going on.

The receiving isn't against the law. It's the not declaring it as income that's against the law.
Correct. So if I am a player who got money and did not pay taxes, I'm not calling the tip line. The players are not totally innocent in this, because I am going to take a HUUUUGE leap and guess that not a one paid any taxes. How do you pay taxes on money not legally obtained. I don't think there is a line for that on the 1040!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom