FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Lots of the people who got cash are going to talk to the FBI. Why? It's not against the law to receive a cash payment, but it is income tax fraud for not reporting it and paying tax on it. The DOJ will give immunity to anyone who cooperates. We are at the very beginning of this investigation.

Maybe. Or maybe he was subject to FBI GJ subpoena...

0.0 chance he's posting that message on twitter if that was the case.

Gotta love the moronic and misleading PS headline calling out tony bland - gives the impression it's an isolated issue related to a former SU connection. Who cares about bland for Criz sakes?
Can't fault them for that. It's, HOPEFULLY, the only connection to Syracuse.

Lots of the people who got cash are going to talk to the FBI. Why? It's not against the law to receive a cash payment, but it is income tax fraud for not reporting it and paying tax on it. The DOJ will give immunity to anyone who cooperates. We are at the very beginning of this investigation.

3 years statute of limitations - anyone and any program handing out payments in that window should be sweating.

Yeah, I think today's stuff is just the first wave. Who is mystery school #8? How far-reaching is this investigation? Who is involved on the shoe side of it? Is there a football component to the investigation? There should be.
Tin foil hat firmly on, could there be no real University-8 and they are just trying to get more people to call the tip line (what with the 'call us before we call you' attitude implied)?

I would love to know how this entire probe started? When people complain about other suspected dirty schools not being named, my suspicion is that this started based on a complaint related to the shoe companies - maybe the IRS noticed some missing money and started snooping around - I mean, Adidas isn't gonna have an account labeled "Money to pay off high school recruits with". That money had to be coming from somewhere not obviously traced, so there is likely a money laundering aspect here.

My guess is that the feds started following the money, and the named schools so far are just the ones that came up in the immediate money trail. I doubt the feds specifically targeted any specific university to start. Once they found there was widespread corruption, they'll start looking further. Hence, tip line, etc...
Usually one little thread they pull...leads to others and pretty soon unraveling a whole sweater. Often they don't even wind up where they thought. Probably some dude got hosed and called someone.

So how does this work for the kids that took money? It's not an NCAA investigation but if a kid is found to have had a parent take money I'm guessing they are going to be ruled ineligible for the coming season. It will be interesting to see how quickly names of money recipients come out and how quickly the NCAA will move. I really have no idea as this seems like uncharted territory.
Aren't they a pro now?

Usually one little thread they pull...leads to others and pretty soon unraveling a whole sweater. Often they don't even wind up where they thought. Probably some dude got hosed and called someone.

That's more likely than originating with the IRS. A school got left at the altar at the eleventh hour, an agent had a deal that he paid for and the player reneged, a kid committed and got hurt or wasn't any good and the school didn't pay as promised.

Tin foil hat firmly on, could there be no real University-8 and they are just trying to get more people to call the tip line (what with the 'call us before we call you' attitude implied)?

Like someone else mentioned, where did the #8 school rumor even come from? If I had to bet, I think the school list goes well past 8. If you're the bag man at school #15, you better be calling that hotline before your door is kicked in by the FBI.

0.0 chance he's posting that message on twitter if that was the case.
He posted it knowing someone told him about one...people that don't know the law are pretty dumb about this stuff.

If I'm reading Wetzel's article correctly, it started outside of hoops with a financial advisor busted in a separate fraud case. His cooperation led down this road.
FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg
It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on.

If I'm reading Wetzel's article correctly, it started outside of hoops with a financial advisor busted in a separate fraud case. His cooperation led down this road.
FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg
It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on.
Amazing..."man do I have a story for you guys"?

Wonder if the shoe company's Board of Directors knew , what could be the company repercussions including stockholders rights in this mess? I doubt they disclosed the info to stockholders on their financials.

Drain the friggin swamp

Wow. Crazy stuff. Not sure the NCAA will or can do anything, right? All these coaches will be fired and possibly a guy like Pitino but the programs won't be punished will they?
At the very least all should be subject to lack of institutional control.

It's also a different time frame noted 2000 through 2013 too - how would that tie into the statute of limitation of 3 years? Based off his info and the reported statue of immigration of 3 years, they started new investigations not ones he was directly involved with???

Pat Forde also calling for Syracuse death penalty. Reasoning: "Just because"
Yah I clicked on that link (forgetting Forde's background for a second). Then I saw "Yahoo Sports" and closed the window.