Fishes and Loaves | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fishes and Loaves

I think people forget that I. Jones was looking good prior to injury. Coach Anae signaled him out as one of the better performing guys. Hoping he gets back to top health.
I don't think anyone forgot how good he looked. To me, it's can he stay healthy? He looks like he has the ability, but he looks so skinny that I wonder if he might not be injury prone because of it.

We may, or may not, be fine at wr next year. But, it's absolutely borderline negligent to not bring in an experienced kid that has shown production, or at least the potential for production a la Amba Etto Tawo or Tristan Jackson.
What would you say if we brought in a guy with AET's numbers from 3 years at another school? I bet you would say the coaches are negligent. His numbers were not impressive at UMD.

What would you say if we brought in a guy with AET's numbers from 3 years at another school? I bet you would say the coaches are negligent. His numbers were not impressive at UMD.
Maybe. But, that's when you have to rely on the coaches. I'm sure Amba flashed his speed, as well as showed his solidly built frame. That's the type I would like to see us bring in. Speed foremost, Hayes last year was a big fail. Speed, but a mature frame that can fight off defenders at the line of scrimmage. Our current guys are young and a bit on the light side.

Maybe. But, that's when you have to rely on the coaches. I'm sure Amba flashed his speed, as well as showed his solidly built frame. That's the type I would like to see us bring in. Speed foremost, Hayes last year was a big fail. Speed, but a mature frame that can fight off defenders at the line of scrimmage. Our current guys are young and a bit on the light side.
We have a guy in Alford can be as good as anyone we have had in recent times, just needs to want it.

We have a guy in Alford can be as good as anyone we have had in recent times, just needs to want it.
I love Alford. But, I'm greedy. Imagine Alford as a #2 receiver, with another stud #1 receiver opposite him. Then add Gadsden, and this passing attack is cooking with gas.

I love Alford. But, I'm greedy. Imagine Alford as a #2 receiver, with another stud #1 receiver opposite him. Then add Gadsden, and this passing attack is cooking with gas.
Brown might be the 3rd wideout if what people have said about the scout team play.

Ordinarily, I would be the first to agree with you. However, they added 3 ready-to-play OL which were sorely needed: a true center to replace Vett, a guard and a tackle. They also added likely 2 DT's ready to go (I'm assuming Perry will be ready to contribute). These were the key areas of need. WRs? No - with Jones returning, we are fine. RBs? If the OL really does improve, I could run through it. We even picked up a punter to replace the mess we had.
I certainly hope you are right but you are assuming that the transfers are any good and that is no certainty. So many transfers turn out to be busts. Other teams' rejects are a crap shoot. Even if talented it will be mid-season by the time they learn the system.
I am also concerned about safety play with new corners in front of them.

Every year we see the silver lining that never seems to materialize.

I guess there's nothing wrong with hoping.

AET had speed but he wasn’t as fast as your post suggests. We’ve been trying to recruit guys with speed forever and almost all of them can’t find the field or don’t do anything beneficial when they play. Speed is overrated at WR. We need to recruit players who can actually play the position. Run good routes, play physical, block, catch balls. I could care less about speed. We’ve been recruiting speed with less than a 10% success rate when they get here.

AET had speed but he wasn’t as fast as your post suggests. We’ve been trying to recruit guys with speed forever and almost all of them can’t find the field or don’t do anything beneficial when they play. Speed is overrated at WR. We need to recruit players who can actually play the position. Run good routes, play physical, block, catch balls. I could care less about speed. We’ve been recruiting speed with less than a 10% success rate when they get here.

AET’s greatest skill was making 50/50 balls into 90/10 balls.

And he didn’t do that by running past/away from dudes.

He fought for position, and adjusted masterfully to mis/underthrown passes.

I gave you a like, but to be honest, your description reminds me of Steve Ishmael instead. Amba was fast; at least in my 53 year old memory.

Barclay was moved to DL as an emergency move. I am assuming it is not going to be a permanent thing but it might prove to be.

We have too many CBs and not enough safeties. At least one of these guys needs to get moved. It might be Greenwood, who got more PT at safety and is probably best suited to play there.
Thanks for doing this, Tom. A few things I disagree with.
  • I don't think Reed comes here if Vet returns. I think Vet is going to move on.
  • I think we actually have more safeties than CB's the way you have it. I predict either Bellamy or Clark play CB, as we have a lot of talent at S between Barron, Simmons, Gould, Oliver, and Clark. People forget Oliver was a top recruit and looked good in last year's game.
  • Have you heard anything about Wax moving to Mike? Sparrow played very well there the last game.
  • Think Petry is an OT.
  • We do have a ton of numbers at DT, especially considering we play a 3-3-5. The staff must be scarred from this year.
  • Unless we have a ton of injuries at WR, I think we'll be fine there

Last edited:
Really? A couple of his catches most certainly helped us win games.

I’m not sure “games” is accurate. He’s made some spectacular catches. We also had a massive need for at least one more guy step up consistently and he didn’t do that. I picked him at start of season as being a possible break out player. I love the guy. He’s got an incredible upside. That doesn’t mean he’ll reach it just because it’s there. Just like people falling in love with TD because he could throw the football nicely. Lot more to it.

Lemon was also great at this and he was not a speedster at all but one of our more important players.

As of right now all 85 scholarships are filled I would expect at least 2 more to open up soon, this is probably one of our best OL/DL classes in years we did get help with 2 portal DB'S and bringing in 3 LB'S was also a plus, however it looks like we may not get our dream QB. Only grabbing 1 WR has my head spinning I really hope we land a quality portal WR as per RB 2 high schoolers adds depth as per TE we only needed the 1 And bringing in a Punter can never hurt.

1 good catch every 3 games isn’t going to help us win games. Even if it makes us feel all warm inside when he makes a great catch.
One catch every three games?

He was second in the conference in yds per reception. He cant control how many targets he got.

He had at one 20 plus catch in 7 of 12 games.

One catch every three games?

He was second in the conference in yds per reception. He cant control how many targets he got.

He had at one 20 plus catch in 7 of 12 games.

It was clearly an exaggeration that every one who read it understood. Not surprised you didn’t though since you’re triggered by almost every post.

It was clearly an exaggeration that every one who read it understood. Not surprised you didn’t though since you’re triggered by almost every post.
What’s to understand, it’s not close to accurate. It’s a misleading fiction.

you want to exaggerate to make a point, fine, but there should be an element of truth to it.

Thanks for doing this, Tom. A few things I disagree with.
  • I don't think Reed comes here if Vet returns. I think Vet is going to move on.
  • I think we actually have more safeties than CB's the way you have it. I predict either Bellamy or Clark play CB, as we have a lot of talent at S between Barron, Simmons, Gould, Oliver, and Clark.
  • Have you heard anything about Wax moving to Mike? Sparrow played very well there the last game.
  • Think Petry is an OT.
  • We do have a ton of numbers at DT, especially considering we play a 3-3-5. The staff must be scarred from this year.
  • Unless we have a ton of injuries at WR, I think we'll be fine ther
I think they’re going to rotate entire lines but also have multiple kids that can play all three positions on the roster a la Perry and Caleb. Old SDSU teams carried similar numbers I believe. Agree on all other points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom