Fishes and Loaves | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fishes and Loaves

What’s to understand, it’s not close to accurate. It’s a misleading fiction.

you want to exaggerate to make a point, fine, but there should be an element of truth to it.

He had 17 total catches for the year. That includes teams like Uconn and Wagner and our starters played a lot of the games. He had 1 game with more than 2 catches, 1…….. 5 games with only 1 catch and 2 games with 0.

But if you want to cherry pick one stat for the year and anoint him one of the best WR’s in the conference. That’s on you.

Need more wide receiver talent. This staff has missed on too many receivers that it has signed over the years. It is surprising that this staff has not been able to find another game changer aside from Gadsden.

I think the offensive line will be improved if they can fortify tackle depth. It’s a mistake to assume Cruz will easily replace Bergeron. Best tackle since Pugh.

I disagree that we need more linebacker depth. I think every one of those guys (except Roon) has a high ceiling and flexibility to play in multiple spots. Kadin Bailey and Mekhi Mason are going to make huge leaps this season.

Geer might be the best player on the defense by end of next season. Hope we can hold on to him for two more years.

I fully agree. Everyone is leaning hard into "highschool recruiting not mattering" anymore and while there is something to that, I don't see how people are convinced of our success next year or for the near future beyond it. Our class is ranked dead last in the conference universally across recruiting services and in the mid 70s-80s in the entire country. Worst class since Shafer's first year (when Marrone left in like January or whatever) and we've invested hundreds of millions into staff and facilities since then.

We lost a ton and replaced it with mostly total unknowns. I don't have the warm and fuzzies a lot of folks are portraying on the board recently. I want to be excited about next season but I'm struggling.
I think it's fair to say that I thought we would end stronger.

Bolinsky graduates this year so it looks like they will need to pick up a Long Snapper.
Good point. That will burn another scholarship. Added a line for this. Add dropped one of the slots for still available schollies.

Barclay was moved to DL as an emergency move. I am assuming it is not going to be a permanent thing but it might prove to be.

We have too many CBs and not enough safeties. At least one of these guys needs to get moved. It might be Greenwood, who got more PT at safety and is probably best suited to play there.

Thanks for doing this, Tom. A few things I disagree with.
  • I don't think Reed comes here if Vet returns. I think Vet is going to move on.
  • I think we actually have more safeties than CB's the way you have it. I predict either Bellamy or Clark play CB, as we have a lot of talent at S between Barron, Simmons, Gould, Oliver, and Clark. People forget Oliver was a top recruit and looked good in last year's game.
  • Have you heard anything about Wax moving to Mike? Sparrow played very well there the last game.
  • Think Petry is an OT.
  • We do have a ton of numbers at DT, especially considering we play a 3-3-5. The staff must be scarred from this year.
  • Unless we have a ton of injuries at WR, I think we'll be fine there
Update:

I moved Bellamy to CB and Greenwood to safety. Agree that is what will likely happen.

I moved Petry to OG to balance things at OG and OT. One of the others might well end up there. Not really sure where all of the new OL are going to get assigned.

Agree about switching Wax and Sparrow. Did that.

Right now, I have Vet on the roster. Not sure what is going to happen with him. If he leaves, we probably will look to add another OL in one of the other 2 signing periods.

One thing for sure...we don't need any more DTs. I think we are definitely set at DE as well. Might even see one of the DEs end up at TE, at least for the spring.

I imagine they'll be more attrition after the bowl game or after spring ball. Then Cuse can identify the last 2-4 scholarships. Definitely if a transfer WR or TE presents himself they need to pursue.

No problem. I am too.

I am sure a lot will change between now and the first game of the season, but it can be interesting to see where things look right now, based on a bunch of guesses.
A bunch of Very Educated guesses IMO!

I think the roster always looks about the same.. Who gets better, Who comes in and makes an immediate impact from the portal? Those are the questions, a Syracuse roster is never going to overwhelm on paper.

Like to see a solid WR from the portal, maybe a real TE and little more help in the secondary

I have no idea how good they will or won't be but again it's on Dino to get us back to a bowl game.

Interested to see the bowl game, going to be a tough game considering all the losses but might be a nice look into the future at some key areas

Last edited:
I think the roster always looks about the same.. Who gets better, Who comes in and makes an immediate impact from the portal? Those are the questions, a Syracuse roster is never going to overwhelm on paper.

Like to see a solid WR from the portal, maybe a real TE and little more help in the secondary

I have no idea how good they will or won't be but again it's on Dino to get us back to a bowl game.

Interested to see the bowl game, going to be a tough game considering all the losses but might be a nice look into the future at some key areas

This exactly. We’ve done well in the past when we’ve had coaches that can coach up their positions combined with recruiting classes where the players could be coached up to compete in the ACC. I think this class, at least largely, can be coached up now it’s on the coaches to do that.

I think the one big question mark is how good are the new OL players and how well can the line improve and be coached up from last year. I expect to see an improvement here, which honestly shouldn’t be hard with how poor OL play was at times. Need to be consistently decent in most games next year on both lines and we’ll end up with a better record.

It’s spring game one.

This exactly. We’ve done well in the past when we’ve had coaches that can coach up their positions combined with recruiting classes where the players could be coached up to compete in the ACC. I think this class, at least largely, can be coached up now it’s on the coaches to do that.

I think the one big question mark is how good are the new OL players and how well can the line improve and be coached up from last year. I expect to see an improvement here, which honestly shouldn’t be hard with how poor OL play was at times. Need to be consistently decent in most games next year on both lines and we’ll end up with a better record.

yeah how good are these new O lineman is a a HUGE question for sure. It sounds like the Schmidt wanted to change it up and bit and they went out a got some bigger guys and with some "tude" as Dino said. Just my opinion but I think the kid they brought in at center is the biggest wildcard, he's a huge piece if he's P5 caliber.

On the coaches now 100%

yeah how good are these new O lineman is a a HUGE question for sure. It sounds like the Schmidt wanted to change it up and bit and they went out a got some bigger guys and with some "tude" as Dino said. Just my opinion but I think the kid they brought in at center is the biggest wildcard, he's a huge piece if he's P5 caliber.

On the coaches now 100%

I will say that when we’ve gone the Juco type route in the past for players. Even when they haven’t lived up to expectations, they always seem to at least be able to play some limited role. For the most part. I think even if that’s a case with some of these players that’ll end up still being an improvement with how bad the line play was at times. And a huge upgrade over last year essentially not bringing in anyone with size (not from lack of trying).

Reminds me of a saying an old buddy used to say a lot. “Half a loaf is better than no loaf”, very true in this scenario.

My concern right now is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Will we have enough players to actually compete against Minnesota??

On the coaches now 100%

And to your point, we added reinforcements in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

On D, we added numerous linemen at both positions -- bolstering an already experienced / deep unit.

On O, we added a pair of guys who might pencil into the first unit the moment they step on campus, and several developmental types for down the road. We need help at OL, given how things unfolded this year.

We won't know whether these kids are upgrades until at least spring ball.

My concern right now is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Will we have enough players to actually compete against Minnesota??

You're going to get mad but these type bowl games considering the portal and kids not playing are nothing more than glorified spring games/ scrimmages at this point.

To your point, maybe maybe not but it will be step one for getting a lot of these kids valuable reps for next year. I am not really too worried about the game either way.

Life in today's world of college football.

There are 3 games left in college football that really mean something the rest not so much and I am sure the kids want to win but the bowl games seem to be won and lost by who is and who isn't playing for each team

Well, the high school recruiting was underwhelming, but overall the roster is about the same as 2022. Lose our best OT in many seasons, lose a record breaking RB, lose 2 excellent CBs and Carter, and Mikel Jones - the inspirational leader of the defense. There is star quality in that bunch.

A year ago, did you expect Shrader and Gadsden to be as good as they were? If Lockett and Thompson are 100% rehabbed, the strengths in the DL and LB units can offset losses in the secondary. Then we will see about Allen and the rebuilt OL. Certainly a big factor to have MVP Shrader and Gadsden as keystones of the offense. QB depth is as good as we have had.

I am fine with 4 scholarship QBs for next year. Just don't think there is quality out there now to replace Sellers if he flips. Only possibility would be a freshman transfer who just got recruited over and is willing to sit for a year at least. Not sure if we can get someone who would be definitively better than DRW or Lamson.

Awful lot of depth on the DLine. 5 newcomers and all but one returning. I guess if Barclay goes back to offense and Okechukwu decides to take his degree and move on there might be room for one more edge.

Would like to see an impact WR from portal and a true TE so we would have the flexibility to move OG outside. Think there is room for both.

3 walk on long snappers still on roster. If there is a scholarship available in the summer, fine. If not, maybe next year. Wish we still did the same with punters. Maybe one on scholarship, not 3!

Agree we should bring in at least one more DB. Lots of bodies, but just as many ?s there, especially if Nunn is dunn.

Currently at the 85 limit but that includes Jones, Vett and Okechukwu. Jones is certainly gone (though he doesn't seem to have any draft buzz?), Vett 50-50 and Caleb likely to return. Hope we can convince at least one punter to look for greener pastures but not as easy to give the talk to someone with no pro aspirations and who, at best, is on the field for a handful of plays and a few seconds of activity. Academics may actually be more important than football to them.

Really helpful reference for February recruiting and spring ball. The only potential changes I see: Cohoon gets a serious look at OWR. The kid is 6-2 state 100m champ - more of a speed guy than a space guy. I would also switch Sparrow with Wax based on form factor alone. At the WILL Sparrow (219) faces a TE ... whereas Wax (239) would face a center or guard in the middle (MIKE). ZMG could play early and Rice's stout build (260 lbs?) portends his future position is battering ram (MIKE).

As to the DL ...what a blessing to have a numbers "problem". On the interior, assuming Rocky prefers 270-290 'explosion-type' players who thrive in his system, we can expect the platoon strategy to continue. This was effective last year and will keep guys better rested for the 4th quarter and less likely to be injured by November. Ingraham brings some beef for sure. Lots of talent and depth on the edge. Love it.

Edit: Rice's individual bio in the SU signing day literature states his weight at 220, but in the list it's 260. I think the 260 is a typo as Lackawana's website has him at 220 also.

Last edited:
I gave you a like, but to be honest, your description reminds me of Steve Ishmael instead. Amba was fast; at least in my 53 year old memory.
Ishmael, and Phillips caught almost everything thrown to them.

It's going to be extremely difficult to get a punter on scholarship to leave when schools in most cases don't offer one to kickers, especially ones that have had "the talk".

It's going to be extremely difficult to get a punter on scholarship to leave when schools in most cases don't offer one to kickers, especially ones that have had "the talk".
I agree.. But he may also realize he isnt going to play and want to go someplace to punt.. Maybe he goes down a level? maybe Max is homesick? who knows.

1671726207827.jpeg

1671726256517.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom