Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F57747395%2F226043181146%2F1%2Foriginal.20190302-231306
Welcome to Girl Scout Day!

Today we celebrate Girl Scouts, which was formed on today's date in 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low, who brought together 18 girls in her hometown of Savannah, Georgia. Low wanted girls to be prepared to face the world with courage, character, and confidence. She used the Girl Guides, founded in Great Britain in 1910, as her model. Her group soon became known as Girl Scouts of the United States of America, which it is still called today. Low's group focused on community service, inclusiveness, self-reliance, and the outdoors. Some of their activities included swimming, camping, basketball, hiking, and learning foreign languages.

During the 1920s, Girl Scouts expanded outside of the United States to China, Syria, and Mexico. Lone Troops on Foreign Soil began in 1925; it is now called USA Girl Scouts Overseas. During the Great Depression, Girl Scouts collected food and clothing for those in need, and During World War II, they organized Farm Aide projects, collected scrap fat and metal, grew victory gardens, and ran bicycle courier services. They responded to the Korean War in the 1950s by sending "Kits for Korea"—items that could be used by Korean citizens. On March 16, 1950, Girl Scouts of America was chartered by Congress.

SU News

326_20190205dnsufoot291.jpeg

Williams (left) is receiving his second chance to win the starting middle linebacker job this spring, and he's bringing a different attitude this time around.

Syracuse football LB Lakiem Williams taking new approach in 2019 (what we learned) (PS; Bailey)

One week into Syracuse football's spring practice, position battles are already starting to heat up.

The Orange has questions to address on both sides of the fall. From retooling the offensive line to tweaking the offense to fit redshirt sophomore quarterback Tommy DeVito to replacing the starting linebackers for the second year in a row, there are a handful of intriguing storylines to follow.

As SU's players take this week off for spring break, let's break down the most interesting news, notes and nuggets that have already surfaced. This list is based off observations, interviews with players and conversations behind the scenes.

Last spring, the junior college addition was slowed by injury, but also focused on playmaking. Hitting his gap at full speed, rather than understanding his fit and the roles of the players around him, was his focus.

"At first, I saw myself just trying to learn on the fly," Williams said on Thursday. "Learn it just so I can be on the field and play. Once I sat down and was really like, 'I want to know why I've got to be right here and why he's doing this in this type of situation. Oonce I started figuring that out, that's when everything started getting (better).'"

The shift started around the last week of the 2018 regular season, Williams said. After serving as a versatile backup and special teams contributor, he realized that the path to a more sizable role and to being a more productive teammate laid above the shoulderpads.

Syracuse football secondary can finally contend with ACC's upper-half (PS; Mink)

It took a couple years, but the Syracuse football secondary went from laughingstock to being counted among the ACC's most disruptive defensive backfields.

A two-year period of transition and talent acquisition yielded a group capable of matching up with the upper-half of the conference, and it took another step forward last year by building quality depth capable of stepping in without much of a dropoff in production.

The Orange returns nearly every contributor from last year's secondary, giving fifth-year senior cornerback Chris Fredrick the latitude to espouse confidence in this year's group.

"Usually people don't get worse over time," he said.

Syracuse more than quadrupled its interception total from 2017 to 2018. One year after logging four interceptions over 12 games, the Orange defensive backs turned over the offense 18 times.

They helped SU go from dead last in scoring defense to sixth in the conference.

"First couple years we were trying to find what kind of team we were," Fredrick said.

"Last year we clicked into it. We were doing some things that were successful. We had to find the right guys and the right fit for everybody."

Syracuse Football: Chris Slayton NFL Draft Profile, stock update (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse football star Chris Slayton is hoping to be selected in the 2019 NFL Draft. Here are his profile and his official NFL Draft stock.

In the last four years, only two Syracuse football players have been drafted: Zaire Franklin (Indianapolis Colts) and Riley Dixon (Denver Broncos). Could Chris Slayton join that list? I’m glad you asked.

How can we find that out before the NFL Draft starts in late April? The Mock Draft Machine. It’s a brand new feature on The Draft Network website that allows its’ users to become the experts. It’s a unique tool that allows fans to mock all seven rounds for their team or in my case, figure out a player’s draft stock.

dickbeyer740.jpg

Dick Beyer, Syracuse wrestler who became 'The Destroyer,' passes (intermatwrestle.com; Palmer)

Dick Beyer, an accomplished wrestler at Syracuse University who went on to become legendary masked professional wrestler "The Destroyer" and "Doctor X", died in his home just outside Buffalo, N.Y. Thursday. He was 88.

Born July 11, 1930 in Buffalo, Dick Beyer was a four-sport athlete at Seneca Vocational High School who earned a football scholarship to Syracuse University playing right tackle and defensive guard. It was at Syracuse that the 5'10", 230-pound Beyer also made a name for himself on the wrestling team as heavyweight in the early 1950s. He competed at three EIWA (Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) championships. At the 1951 EIWAs, Beyer was pinned in the first round by Richard Clark of Cornell University. The next two conference championships, Beyer made it to the heavyweight finals. At the 1952 EIWAs, the unseeded Beyer lost to Princeton's Brad Glass -- 1951 NCAA heavyweight champ -- in the finals, 4-3. The following year, Beyer -- the No. 3 seed in the unlimited weight class -- fell to Werner Seel of Lehigh, 2-1, in the finals.

Dick Beyer (Photo/Onandogan yearbook)Beyer did not wrestle at the NCAA championships while at Syracuse. However, he competed at AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) wrestling events in freestyle competition. He was a 1952 AAU Niagara District champion after placing second in the finals the year before. At the 1952 National AAU championships, Beyer placed third at heavyweight (Bill Kerslake was crowned champ) ... while at the 1954 NAAUs, Beyer was runner-up to future Oregon State head coach Dale Thomas in the 191-pound bracket.

5c8530333bb11.image.jpg

ACC Football Rx: Raycom isn't going away after all... (RX; HM)

Don’t worry about Raycom, not even one bit — things are going to be just fine...

From "Raycom takes new role as ACC Network plans to debut"

Ownership of two high-end production trucks along with its longtime relationship with the league and ESPN made it the perfect partner to continue working behind the scenes on broadcasts when the ACC Network launches on Aug. 22.

Raycom won't be calling the shots - but they will be involved in producing programming for the ACC network as an ESPN sub-contractor.

“We got a very, very good — lucrative — production contract from ESPN,” Raycom CEO Jimmy Rayburn said. “A lot of the games next year will still be produced from top to bottom, but they just won’t have the Raycom name on it.

The article states that Raycom will also continue to serve as the league's digital partner. That answers I question I had about the fate of the ACC Digital Network - it sounds like it will still be around.

ACC Football Rx: 2019 NC State Way-Too-Early Preview (RX; HM)

?

The NC State Wolfpack has been enjoying some of its best recruiting in decades under Coach Doeren, and it's been showing in the win-loss column. Using J Howell's preseason power ratings, I'm projecting the Wolfpack to possibly go 11-1 if they can pull out the win in Morgantown (always a tough place to play, and the Mountaineers have a new head coach this year).

Opponent Proj

E Carolina W
W Carolina W
W Virginia W
Ball State W
Florida St W
Syracuse W
Boston Coll. W
Wake Forest W
Clemson L
Louisville W
Georgia Tech W
N Carolina W

Other

Slainte! An insider's guide to the pubs of Tipperary Hill in Syracuse (PS; Miller)

We're hitting the nine bars of the West End neighborhood known as Tipperary Hill, an area once home to Irish immigrants who came here to work on the Erie Canal.

Each bar here is open seven days a week, but each is special in its own way. The one thing they all have in common: they all serve very cold beer, averaging about 35 degrees.

We'll do more than just sip a pint or two on this tour. We'll introduce you to the owners of these pubs, and you'll leave knowing some things you probably didn't know about these haunts.

We'll also pick up some regulars along the way.

Welcome to Tipperary Hill!

March on Tipperary Hill is known as the "holiday season." It starts with Green Beer Sunday, the one-and-a-half-block parade that brings thousands to Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub. It's there that 82-year-old Peter Coleman, the face of Tipp Hill, pours the first green beer of the season outside of his bar.

Then comes the 4-mile Shamrock Run. Then it's Parade Day, the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. And then March 17, St. Patrick's Day itself.

The bars in this neighborhood pack them in on every one of these days. On St. Patrick's Day, a free shuttle drives patrons from bar to bar all day long.

Come on, now. Let's do some bar hopping.

Raycom will never die as long as Swofford's son Chad is a VP there... Pathetic.

What is that on your picture? A blow dryer or are you going to shoot yourself?

Man, I hate those youtube videos that use robot voices.

"Can it defend Clemson?"? I think we've done a pretty damn good job the last two years defending against Clemson.
I agree with you to an extent, but slow your roll. We've been extremely fortunate the last few years to go against Clemson backup qbs. When we've face top Tiger qbs a la Taj Boyd/Deshaun Watson, it's been gruesome. Lawrence may be the best of the bunch to boot...

I agree with you to an extent, but slow your roll. We've been extremely fortunate the last few years to go against Clemson backup qbs. When we've face top Tiger qbs a la Taj Boyd/Deshaun Watson, it's been gruesome. Lawrence may be the best of the bunch to boot...
Can't compare those Syracuse teams to the SU team of today either.