Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
437319.jpg

Welcome to American Redneck Day!

Rednecks and redneck culture are celebrated today. "Redneck" is a somewhat complicated term that means different things to different people, and its meaning has continued to shift over time. The word as applied to Americans dates to the late nineteenth century, when it referred to farmers with sunburned necks. Shortly thereafter, some southern Democratic populists wore red neckties or kerchiefs as a symbol of pride and embraced the name. Similarly, in the early twentieth century, coal miners who belonged to unions were also associated with the term and embraced it as well. However, the term has also often since been used as a slur or pejorative.

As the twentieth century progressed, the term became associated with poor, Southern whites, particularly men, who usually lived in rural areas. They were seen as being unsophisticated and uneducated. Another similar term often used to describe them was "hillbilly."

SU News

Syracuse Football: Shyheim Cullen draws serious NFL interest at Pro Day (itlh; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse football LB Shyheim Cullen drew quite a crowd at his Pro Day. Here’s how he did and what’s the next step ahead of the draft.

It wasn’t the path that former Syracuse football linebacker Shyheim Cullen envisioned, but it’s the hand he’s been dealt.
Cullen was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA which forced him to take an unusual path to the pros through the NFL Supplemental Draft on July 10.

But before we get to that point, Shyheim had detected enough NFL interest from personal calls and his agent to set up an official Pro Day for NFL teams to come to watch him in person on Monday, July 1.
His stepfather John shared in a direct message on Twitter that Shyheim went back to where it all started in Lowell Massachusetts 10 years ago in pop warner as the venue.

Cullen went through the entire NFL Combine event list in front of the three NFL teams that were represented (the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, and the New England Patriots):

• 40-yard dash: 4.68 (agent clocked time).
    • “We were disappointed in the 40 times, it was way off. We had consistently gotten in the 4.53-4.56 range. Shyheim had trouble getting off the start.”
    • His 40-yard dash time would’ve been good enough to place 16th at the NFL Combine among linebackers. Although his time he had been hitting in practice would’ve been good enough for sixth best among linebackers.
  • Vertical leap: 36 inches.
    • “He had to go barefoot due to an equipment issue.”
    • His vertical jump would’ve been good enough for eighth among linebackers. In practice, he had been jumping at 39 inches which would’ve been good enough for third best among linebackers at the NFL Combine.
  • Bench press: 20 reps.

‎ESPN Syracuse: On The Block On Demand 7-2 on Apple Podcasts (apple,com; radio; Axe)

Brent discusses the upcoming Syracuse Football team including a position group that has more experience than you might think and a note about ACC Media Day. Later, he wonders if it would be such a bad move for Kawhi Leonard to go to the Lakers like a lot of fans are making it out to be.

ACC-TV-market.png

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/07/what-was-acc-tv-market-as-of-end-of-2018.html (RX; HM)

What was the ACC TV Market as of the end of 2018?

Take a look at this TV market coverage map from a game last year...

...the black areas were considered to be "in market" for the ACC RSNs (thus ACC Network Extra was blacked-out) for this game between Wake Forest and Duke.

Looking at the green "holes" in the black, you can almost guess that UConn, Temple, Navy and Buffalo all had games in this 12:30 PM time slot - otherwise Connecticut, Maryland, Philadelphia and Western NY would likely have been considered ACC markets as well. Sure enough, a quick look at the TV schedule for 11/24/2018 reveals that Navy was playing Tulane on ESPNU at noon, and UConn vs. Temple was on ESPNU at 3:30 PM. (Buffalo had played Bowling Green the day before, so I'm really not sure what was going on in the Buffalo TV market; I'm also not sure why St. Louis got the Wake/Duke game, but I'll take it...).

Nonetheless, this one map tells us some interesting things, like:

• UConn delivers the state of Connecticut for football, but not NY city; a few days later both the Huskies' men's and women's basketball were televised - and those did deliver NYC, at least for those games.
  • The combination of Temple and Navy delivers Philadelphia, Southern NJ, Delaware and most of Maryland for football - but I'm not sure how much credit to give to each school.
  • Probably due to Florida State, the ACC game between Duke and Wake Forest was also carried on RSNs in Mobile, AL.
  • The game was also carried on local RSNs in Chattanooga, TN.
This helps us to see why the American Athletic conference got the $7M/school TV contract from ESPN - but also why none of those schools is likely to be added to the ACC on their own merit (though possibly in conjunction with some other school - such as if Notre Dame joins all-in for football, there could possibly be an AAC team as #16).

This also gives us a pretty good idea which TV markets are likely to want the ACC Network outside of the actual conference footprint - places like Mobile, AL and Chattanooga, TN... maybe even St. Louis, MO!

I wish I had more data for Buffalo, NY - perhaps during a Syracuse game, for example. This game was up against Michigan/Ohio State in the same time slot, and I've noticed on TV maps for some split national games (not shown here) that Buffalo often goes with Michigan instead of the ACC game. When the Wolverines are not playing, the ACC game usually delivers the entire state of New York; not sure what happens when Syracuse and Michigan are playing at the same time.

trevor-lawrence6.jpg

ESPN writer thinks Clemson will go unbeaten, again (theclemsoninsider.com;
Vandervort)

ESPN College football writer Chris Low believes there is no one in the Atlantic Coast Conference that is on the same level with the Clemson Football program.

The Tigers have owned the ACC the last four years, posting a 34-2 record against league foes, including four ACC Championship Game victories. Clemson’s two loses were by a point to Pittsburgh in 2016 and by three points at Syracuse in 2017, a game in which it lost by just three points.

Counting the last two ACC Championships Games, the Tigers have won 13 straight games over ACC competition.
“There is no one on Clemson’s level, especially with Florida State having dipped,” Low said on the Sports Talk Radio Network in Columbia Monday evening. “There’s just not. Depth, experience, playmakers on offense and defense.”
However, that does not mean Clemson is invincible. Low sees Syracuse and NC State as possible teams that can sneak up and bite the Tigers if they are not playing at their best.

“Is there someone that can challenge them? Yes. I mean last year was the exception because they went unscathed, but the (two) years before that Pitt beat them and Syracuse beat them,” he said. “I think what (Dino) Babers has done, and what he is doing at Syracuse, you look across the ACC, there are some teams. For instance, Dave Doeren has been really consistent. I don’t think he has gotten the due he is due with what he has done at NC State.”

Other

UC3BJPWT6NCMTAURPJOTJC2YCM.jpg

Runners spot huge snake at Onondaga Lake Park; expert says that’s a good thing (PS; Buckshot)

Two runners spotted a large snake Saturday morning on a kayak ramp near Willow Bay at Onondaga Lake Park.
“Biggest snake I have seen,” said Michele Seelman, who frequently sees snakes at her parents’ home on Oneida Lake.

While some people may not like to think there’s a snake that big in the lake, an expert says it is a good sign of a healthy lake ecosystem.

Seelman and Tanya Hadley were running at the park at about 8:30 a.m. when they spotted two snakes on the kayak ramp. One snake retreated to the water as Seelman got closer to take a photo.

The snake that stayed on the ramp was about 4 to 5 feet long and very thick, Seelman said.
Seelman’s photo was posted on Facebook and shared hundreds of times. Some people claimed the photo was fake, while others just hoped the photo was phony.
But it is real.
An expert said the snake is a northern water snake, which are harmless and common in Upstate New York.
Ron Giegerich, collection manager for the Roosevelt Wild Life Station at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, said northern water snakes can get as large as 5 feet. He said if this snake was 4 to 5 feet, it’s likely an older female.

That "harmless" northern water snake: They are non-venemous but they can have bacteria in their mouths that can lead to problems if they bite you. And they can be very aggressive and pursue you for a bit if you try to catch them, as I did in my youth. :)