Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Happy%2BWorld%2BSea%2BTurtle%2BDay.png

Welcome to World Sea Turtle Day!

World Sea Turtle Day honors and highlights the importance of sea turtles and recognizes sea turtle conservation and protection efforts around the world. It is held on the birthdate of noted sea turtle biologist Archie Carr, who founded the Sea Turtle Conservancy and helped create the community that works to protect sea turtles today.

Only a fraction of the sea turtles that once populated the Earth remain on it today. Sea turtles have been killed for their meat, eggs, skin, and shells. Their feeding and nesting habitats face destruction, and they are under threat from pollution. In particular, they are threatened by plastic dumped into the oceans.

There are seven species of sea turtles, which are also known as marine turtles. The smallest is Kemp's ridley. It can grow to about two feet in length and to a weight of close to 90 pounds. The largest is the leatherback. It can reach a length of close to six feet and usually weighs between 650 and 1,300 pounds. The other species are the green, hawksbill, olive ridley, loggerhead, and flatback.

SU News

Virginia Football Schedule Preview: Syracuse (sportswar.com; $; Myers)

After three non-conference games to start the season, the Virginia football team will take on its first ACC opponent of the 2022 campaign, the Syracuse Orange. Coming off a 1-10 record in 2020, the Orange started the 2021 season 5-4 before dropping their last three games to finish 5-7.

Dino Babers, who is entering his seventh season at the helm, is on maybe the hottest seat in the ACC. Other than a 10-3 season in 2018, Cuse has yet to see more than five wins in a season during his tenure, amassing a 29-43 record. Another storyline for this matchup will be Robert Anae and Jason Beck coaching against their former team, as Anae took the offensive coordinator job at Syracuse after Bronco Mendenhall’s departure, while Beck is the QB coach.

Let’s look at the next game on the 2022 schedule.

Syracuse Orange

• Friday, Sept. 23, 2022 – 7:30 p.m.
  • JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, NY (FieldTurf)
  • 2021 Overall Record: 5-7 (2-6 ACC)
  • Coach: Dino Babers, 7th season
  • Last Meeting: Oct. 17, 2015 – UVA won 44-38 (3OT)
  • Key Returning Players: Sean Tucker (RB), Mikel Jones (LB), Darian “Duce” Chestnut (DB), Garrett Williams (DB), Stefon Thompson (LB)

What To Expect On Game Day

What’s To Like: Syracuse returns multiple players from 2021. The Orange return about 80% of last season’s production and 17 starters. On one hand, this could be looked at as a negative, especially when a team goes under .500. However, it shows there is stability with the team and experience, which is something that the Cavaliers are lacking at various positions.

Syracuse brings some of the better players at their respective positions in the conference. Sean Tucker is the star of the show, but I will get to him later. At the second level, Syracuse returns all three linebackers. Mikel Jones ranked No. 22 in the nation with 9.2 tackles per game, compiling a team-leading 111 tackles in 12 games. Next to him, Stefon Thompson amassed 79 tackles and 6 sacks in 2021. Marlowe Wax completes the trio, as he made 60 tackles and had 4 sacks last season. These linebackers have all started games in two or more seasons, and Virginia could have its hands full trying to slow them down.

Duce Chestnut was a breakout player for Syracuse as a freshman. He compiled 43 tackles, 11 passes defended, 8 pass break-ups, and 3 interceptions. His early success earned him a spot on the Freshman All-American team by ESPN and other national publications and was All-ACC Third Team. He also finished second in ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year voting, falling to Clemson’s Andre Mukuba. Chestnut has already made a major impact early in his career, and we should hear his name a lot, as he goes up against Brennan Armstrong and the Virginia receiving weapons.

Garrett Williams pairs along with Chestnut at cornerback. Although Chestnut receives a lot of hype because of his accomplishments as a freshman, it can be argued that Williams is the better defensive back. In 10 games last season, Williams had 52 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, and an ACC-leading 9 pass break-ups (also led ACC in pass break-ups in 2020 with 10). Despite a top-tier aerial attack from Virginia, the Hoos must be cautious against this duo and the other defensive players listed above, as they are all some of the top players in the ACC at their position.

What’s Not To Like: One spot where Syracuse does not retain much production is on the defensive line. Redshirt junior Caleb Okechukwu, who is also the only upperclassman on this front, is the most experienced of the group, making 14 tackles and 1 sack in 258 snaps

Father’s Day Podcast and Q&A With Dino Babers, Head Football Coach (syr.edu; Boccacino)

On the football field, Dino Babers is known as the passionate head coach of the Syracuse University football team, the charismatic leader who has delivered his share of emotional pre- and post-game speeches.

Dino Babers

Head football coach Dino Babers

But beyond the wins, beyond his ability to inspire his student-athletes, Babers is a family man first and foremost, a coach who preaches the values of family and togetherness to his players and his coaching staff.

Entering his seventh season as the Orange’s head football coach, Babers treats his football team as a second family—“I have 104 stepsons on this team,” he proudly says. Off the field, Dino and his wife, Susan, have raised four daughters: Breeahnah, Tasha, Jazzmin and Paris.
Being surrounded by family is nothing new for Babers, who was the middle child, one of six siblings in a proud military family. Babers’ father, Luther, had a distinguished 21-year career in the Navy, including as a chief petty officer on the USS Enterprise. Babers learned from an early age the importance of discipline.

Leading up to Father’s Day, Babers sat down with us to reflect on how his military upbringing influenced his coaching style, how his father taught him the important values of discipline and doing something the right way, and how his life forever changed when he became a father for the first time.

Here is the full conversation with Babers on the ’Cuse Conversations podcast. A transcript [PDF] is also available.

Why is your football team like a family to you, and how do you instill that sense of family with the team?
    I have 104 stepsons on the football team, and everyone has to operate in a family atmosphere. Everybody has an understanding of what family’s all about, and based on that foundation, we try to make it grow and we try to make it better. The one thing I tell these young men all the time is that these guys that you’re playing football with, they may not be your brothers, but they’re just like your brothers, and when you get married some of these guys are going to be in your wedding. It’s a special, special situation, and football is a special, special game, and to be around so many different individuals striving to do something together that they all want to achieve is extremely, extremely special.
    Your father, Luther, was in the Navy for more than 20 years. How did that military upbringing impact you growing up?
    I grew up on military bases, and when my dad started to move up and rank and stuff you’d have an option of whether you wanted to live in town or on the base, and it almost seems like he would alternate back and forth. When you’re growing up in the ’60s and the ’70s, there are certain things going on on military bases that are not happening in the real world. You’re not having an issue with what water fountain you want to drink out of in the ’60s when you’re on a military base, everybody drinks out the same water fountain. Then you can go through the gates and go into town and you better know exactly what water fountain you’re going to drink out of. We used to have what we called base rules and town rules, and as a young person, you had to know the difference and you had to make sure your brothers and sisters knew the difference as well.
    I hear there's a story about making your bed for your father that really taught you a valuable life lesson.
    After he showed us how to make a bed, we were supposed to be able to copy that. So we’d make the bed in what we thought was good form, and then he’d come in and flip a quarter, but the quarter didn’t bounce twice on the bed. And if it didn’t bounce twice on the bed, obviously the sheets and the coverings weren’t tight enough. So he came in, the quarter didn’t bounce twice and he ripped my tail of the sheets and gave me the quarter back and told me to stop wasting his time, and that I need to test the bed before he comes in here again. That was hard for a little kid, but it taught me about discipline.
    Does your military upbringing impact how you coach our student-athletes?
    This is what I tell the guys, and I tell the mothers and the fathers this in recruiting, as well. I’ve got a military background, but I don’t necessarily run my team that way. I want to be able to communicate, I want them to be able to come to me with issues. I don’t want them to be necessarily intimidated by me, I want them to respect what I do, and we want to take this journey together. They’re 17- and 18-year-old men turning into 21- and 22-year-old men, and there’s going to be some growth. We want to grow together.
    What was your football story? Did your father get you into football?
    He wouldn’t let me play. My dad was a semi-professional player who played back in the sixties. The Navy, Army, Air Force and the Marines had football teams on the bases. I used to go to the games and hold the chains and watch my dad play. I was never allowed to play organized football until the eighth grade, and when I signed up, all the other kids had been playing for years. They all had their positions, and I was the new kid that had never played before, so they put me at center. I played center on a losing football team, and then in the ninth grade the coaches changed, and I went from playing center to playing quarterback, and we won a championship and didn’t lose a game with the exact same personnel.
    That’s when I realized that coaching matters. One of the things I’m always big with to our coaches is everybody has an opportunity to start, everybody has an opportunity to play, and just because a guy started one year doesn’t mean he starts the next year. Every year is a clean slate. You have to give the players an opportunity to develop past where they were before. You have to give them an opportunity for growth, and you have to see that growth if you’re going to be an evaluator of talent.
Get to Know Your Orange Man: #74, OL Jakob Bradford (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

Name: Jakob Bradford
Position: Offensive Line
Year: Redshirt Sophomore
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 296 lbs
Hometown: Brooklyn Park, Minn.
High School: Park Center (Iowa Central CC)

2021 stats: Bradford got two games at offensive line last season.

2022 projections: As usual, Syracuse’s starters on the offensive line are pretty secure and known. Bradford isn’t one of them, but he’s consistently on the second line. Expect Bradford to continue to grow as the Orange prep him for a potential starting role next season.

How’d he get here?: Bradford was mainly considering Syracuse and Virginia Tech during the transfer process but stuck with the Orange.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Three stars as a JUCO transfer.

Money quote: Bradford told Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister what Syracuse could expect from him.

“They can expect a good teammate,” Bradford said. “They can expect a hard worker. Great competition. That’s what I can promise them.”
Twitter feed: @jakobbradford74

Tweets of wonder: Be careful of what your boss has access to.

How do you find these pictures?? all love coach I appreciate you for these past 2 years let’s get after those boys this week‼️ https://t.co/SqgM1DdWUB
— Jakob Bradford (@jakobbradford74) April 19, 2021
Interesting nugget o’interest: Bradford signed with Syracuse before the Orange signed Mike Schmidt. Essentially, he signed with Cuse without an offensive line coach.

Let’s get a look at ya: Good ol’ signing day tape.

WEB_tucker-1024x576.jpg

Sean Tucker is a tough, durable player whose ability when running the ball as well as in the passing game allows him to be an effective RB on all 3 downs.

Scouting Report on the Next Great Syracuse Running Back (nfldiamonds.com; Bey)

Over the years, Syracuse University has had several great Running Backs (Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Joe Morris, and Floyd Little among many others). In 2021, Sean Tucker broke the all-time single-season rushing record with 1,496 yards. As a 3rd yr Sophomore, he will have 2 more years of eligibility after the 2022 season, but he should be one of the first backs taken in the 2023 draft if he continues to improve.

Name, Jersey #: Sean Tucker #34
School (Code): NYSY
DOB, Class Yr: 10/25/01, 3rd yr SO (2022 Season)
Height, Weight: 5100e, 209e
40 Yd Dash: 4.54e
Position/Depth: RB 1
Honors/Captainship: 2021, 1st team All-ACC, 1st team All-American (FWAA), 2nd team All-American (AP)
Season Viewed (yr): 2021
Games Watched: @FLST, NCWF, SCCL, MABC, @NCST
Scout Name/Date: Mike Bey 5/15/22

Per Year Stats

2021 12 GP 12 GS 246 att, 1496 yards, 12 rush TD, 20 rec, 255 2 TD rec
2020 9 GP 9 GS 137 att, 626 yds, 4 TD, 8 rec 113 yds

Player Summary:

3rd yr SO and 2 yr starter at RB in the spread option offense of NYSY with gap and zone run blocking where he receives nearly all of the carries. Adequate height, weight, and speed with muscular arms and powerful legs. He is an above-average athlete showing good COD, above average quickness and agility, solid acceleration in the open field with adequate balance, and solid top-end play speed. He exhibits good vision as he finds the open hole or cutback lane with quick feet and good COD to bend it back or bounce it to the outside if need be. Good finish ability when running inside as he falls forward for extra yardage. On outside zone runs, he uses his above-average quickness and agility to beat OLB with ordinary AA and play speed to the edge. He shows very good competitive toughness as he is physical at the POA not shying away from contact against any defender and mentally as he rises to the occasion in critical situations. Quality stamina and durability enable him to play fresh in the 4th qtr. He is above average in pass pro as he locates the blitzing defender, and squares up using his good play strength and UOH to negate the progress of LB with good size and solid AA blitzing through the A or B gap. Solid ability in the passing game running curls, flats, and wheel routes showing good hands with quality manual dexterity to catch the ball away from his body. He also adjusts his body to the ball when it is thrown low. Struggles to consistently break tackles from larger defenders due to adequate contact balance. Will hesitate at times near the LOS enabling DL and LB with good explosiveness and play strength to bring him down for a TFL or little to no gain. Lack of elite play speed prevents him from consistently outrunning DB and athletic LB when running the ball or after the catch.

Scheme Fit:

Run heavy offense with zone blocking scheme

Power Statement:

Sean Tucker is a tough, durable player whose ability when running the ball as well as in the passing game allows him to be an effective RB on all 3 downs.

Iowa State lands its fourth football recruit in a week; two for 2022 and two for 2023 (desmoinesregister.com; Peterson)

Iowa State stayed hot on the 2022 football recruiting trail during a very hot Wednesday afternoon.

The Cyclones picked up Myles Norwood, a cornerback from Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs. Five days ago, Iowa State added JC offensive lineman Oluwafunto Akinshilo, who previously played at El Camino College in California.

Norwood, a 6-foot-3, 180-pounder from St. Louis, will enter Matt Campbell’s program immediately, after redshirting his freshman season in 2021.

Norwood announced his decision early Wednesday evening on social media. He chose the Cyclones over offers from Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse.

Akinshilo, who announced last Saturday, is a 6-5, 310-pounder previously committed to Boise State. He picked Iowa State over Mississippi State and Indiana.

It’s been a busy week or so for Campbell and his staff. While conducting two weeks of prospect camps, Iowa State also received 2023 commitments from two-way player Kooper Ebel from Hartley-Melvin Sanborn, and Ankeny’s Jamison Patton.

Top 25 All-Sports Programs as of 2022 (RX; HM)

Top 25 All-Sports Programs as of 2022

We looked at the top Men's Basketball programs earlier, so now let's consider the best overall athletic programs (2021-22 school year only):

Top 25 Everything Schools of the Past Calendar Year #CollegeSports #CollegeAthletics #EverythingSchool pic.twitter.com/2zJ2DGmtxV
— CBKReport (@CBKReport) June 12, 2022
Here are the ACC teams, along with some of their 2022 accomplishments:
  • UNC (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Notre Dame (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Virginia Tech (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Miami (bowl-eligible, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Virginia (bowl, NIT)
  • Florida State (baseball)
  • NC State (bowl)
That's 7 ACC teams; the SEC and the Big Ten had 5 each; the Pac-12 had 4, the Big XII had 3 teams, and BYU was the only non power five team to make this list (of course, they'll be joining the Big XII soon).

Notre Dame sees 2023 wide receiver commit to ACC opponent - 21Sports News % (21sportsnews.com; Rehman)

The Irish have been looking all across the country for skill player talent and today they can scratch another name off their board. After California wide receiver DeAndre Moore Jr. decommitted from Oklahoma, Notre Dame was among a small group of schools that the star receiver was still considering.

Moore Jr. is not long considering anyone except Louisville, who got a verbal pledge from the six-foot and 185-pound star this afternoon. For the Cardinals, the Californian represents hope, one of the highest all-time commitments in their programs history. As for Marcus Freeman and the Irish, it’s back to the drawing board to find another elite receiver prospect.

There are still some big-time receivers still looking very hard at the Irish which include Florida’s Carnell Tate, Texas’s Jaden Greathouse, North Carolina’s Christian Hamilton and California’s Rico Flores. The hope is that at least two of these highly thought of pass-catchers join Texas’ Braylon James in South Bend.

Offensive Skill Awards (RX; HM)

Offensive Skill Awards

Credit goes to reader "bill Dooley" for suggesting this post.

There are three major awards given to offensive skill position players:

Biletnikoff Award — top receiver
Doak Walker Award — top running back
Davey O'Brien Award — top quarterback

Here's a tweet showing which schools have been represented by these award winners:
@OhioStateFB, @PennStateFball and @AlabamaFTBL are the only 3 schools with a Biletnikoff, Doak Walker and Davey O'Brien Award winner

Which school on this graphic impresses you the most? pic.twitter.com/rSr8VcQO75
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) June 15, 2022
There are a few surprises in this list, in my opinion; for instance:
Fred Biletnikoff played wide receiver at Florida State, yet no Seminole has ever won the award?
No ACC school has winners of all three awards. In fact, only two school have winners of more than one: Boston College (RB and QB) and Georgia Tech (WR and QB).

Boston College is the only ACC school with a Doak Walker (RB) Award winner.

Besides Georgia Tech, the only other ACC football program with a Biletnikoff winner is Pitt - and that guy transferred to Southern California. Notre Dame also has one (Golden Tate, 2009).

On the other hand, the ACC has lots of Davey O'Brien (QB) Award winners. In fact, six different ACC schools have produced a Davey O'Brien winner: BC, Clemson, Florida State, GT, Miami, and Syracuse.

Can Cristoal, Miami pick up Clemson de-commit Nathaniel Joseph? - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Nathaniel Joseph is on the move. Two days after Clemson landed a big commitment from 4-star 2023 linebacker Jamal Anderson, a Top 175 Prospect, the Tigers lost a commitment from 4-star wide receiver Nathaniel Joseph.

A Top 100 prospect in the 2023 class, Joseph hails from Miami.

BREAKING: Four-Star WR Nathaniel Joseph Jr. has decommitted from Clemson, he tells @On3Recruits
The 5’9 170 WR from Miami, FL had been committed to the Tigers since September 2021. One of the most electrifying players in the country.
More Here (FREE): Four-Star WR Nathaniel Joseph Jr. decommits from Clemson pic.twitter.com/6XzorOS125
— Hayes Fawcett (@Hayesfawcett3) June 14, 2022

Back in Sept. 2021, Joseph committed to Clemson — during his junior season of prep ball. At the time, Joseph picked Clemson over Florida State (primarily), Florida and Texas A&M. However, a lot has changed in the coaching ranks over the last nine months. Namely, Miami has seemingly reinvented itself as an athletics department — flushed with cash and a new head football coach, Mario Cristobal.

(Of course, Clemson’s coaching staff was shook up this offseason, too: offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, who would’ve called plays for Joseph, left for Virginia, while ace defensive coordinator Brent Venables departed for Oklahoma.)

Clemson football: Tigers can win with DJ Uiagalelei (rubbingtherock.com; Chancey)

Can Clemson football win big with D.J. Uiagalelei at quarterback?

439 passing yards. The third best single game mark in Clemson history.

That was DJ Uiagalelei’s second start in his young career. The five-star recruit from California battled to the bitter end in South Bend that night. The Tiger’s lost in double overtime to the Irish, but DJ’s performance was the bright spot for Clemson fans. The defense was depleted by injuries, both at key positions and on the depth chart. Clemson fans were excited to welcome Trevor Lawrence back from his COVID quarantine the next weekend, but it appeared that when DJ took the reins in 2021 that we would continue to see a high level of play from the quarterback position.

Reality did not match expectations. DJ’s start to 2021 was underwhelming. The offense had plenty of problems – the line didn’t gel, the running backs were young and inexperienced, the wide receivers weren’t playing well – but the lack of performance from the quarterback position was shocking. The guy who walked out on the field in 2021 didn’t look like the guy that entered the record books in South Bend in 2020.

It didn’t take Clemson Nation long to begin to question the abilities of Uiagalelei. Did we let a big passing yard total distract us from the fact that Clemson lost against Notre Dame, and needed a big comeback to squeak out a victory the week before against Boston College in Death Valley? Did we fail to recognize that receivers like Amari Rodgers and Cornell Powell were making the big plays, and not DJ?

It didn’t seem like Travis Etienne was having a big season in 2020, and there was a big turnover on a running play in both games DJ started in 2020. It seemed like he was struggling, but maybe he was also carrying the team much more that we realized? Maybe he was drawing so much attention from the defense that it opened a lot of opportunities that wouldn’t have been there otherwise?

DJ passed the eye test in 2020, but suddenly we realized he was only 1-1, and the one win required a big comeback by the Tigers. By mid-season 2021, he was only 4-4 against FBS competition all-time. What we hoped was a slow start was becoming the norm for Clemson’s next big star.

From that point on, DJ and the Tigers went 6-0, getting Clemson to the 10-win mark for the 11th season in a row.

What changed? Did DJ’s performance jump up the way so many had hoped? When you look at DJ’s stats for the season, he certainly had some games where he played better than others, but overall his numbers didn’t change significantly. He had just as many interceptions in the last six games as he did in the first seven, and threw one less touchdown.

ACC preview: Breaking down the wide-open Coastal Division (ESPN; $; Connelly)

With football conferences now allowed to eschew divisions in the name of a "permanent rivals, heavily rotated schedules and the top two teams in the conference championship game" era, the ultimate parity of the ACC Coastal division could soon be a thing of the past.

Overall, this shift is welcome: The heavy rotations mean big conferences will actually feel like conferences -- North Carolina and Wake Forest won't have to arrange a nonconference game just to see each other again -- and putting the two best teams in the conference title game makes a lot of sense for College Football Playoff stakes. Plus, it was always unfair that some programs randomly landed in the Florida State- and Clemson-dominated Atlantic division while peers of similar stature had a chance to win in the less-top-heavy Coastal.

Still, one cannot say that the Coastal has lacked charm. All seven teams won a title between 2013 and 2019, an absolutely perfect display of parity. It is one of a kind, and hey, it's not dead yet. Defending champ Pittsburgh is replacing important pieces, Miami remains a mystery, and SP+ projects five teams within 1.8 average wins atop the division. Things could get weird once again.

Let's preview the ACC Coastal!

Every week through the offseason, Bill Connelly will preview another division from the Group of 5 and Power 5 exclusively for ESPN+, ultimately including all 131 FBS teams. The previews will include 2021 breakdowns, 2022 previews and burning questions for each team.

(youtube.com; video; ESPN)

Devin Leary is the ONLY QB in ACC history to hit the 35 TD-5 INT threshold in a season

NC State Wolfpack Football: 3 Keys To Win Atlantic Division & ACC Championship (youtube; podcast; Locked on the ACC)

Listen to Candace's 3 keys for the Wolfpack to win the Atlantic Division AND the ACC Championship this 2022 Football season. Who's back that will help the Pack be great this season? Can NC State get out of its own way.

Other

V4PWHYAQAFEBFFN3SQGQLX5ZXM.jpg

A picnic from Party + PicnicCo

You’ve heard of glamping, now try picnique-ing, NY’s new luxury outdoor trend (PS; $; Potrikus)

This story originally ran in the May/June 2022 issue of Central New York Magazine. The magazine is available by delivery to subscribers of syracuse.com or The Post-Standard for $25 a year. To find out more or to subscribe, visit readcnymagazine.com.

In the past year, Toby Jacobs-Mijolovic has styled luxury picnics for elevated date nights, bridal showers and bachelorette parties, birthday brunches and rehearsal dinners.

The intimate celebrations are a swoon-worthy Instagram image come to life, staged in scenic locations across Central New York.

Her business, Picnique 315, grew from her need for a creative outlet during the early days of the pandemic.

“I kept redecorating every room in my house,” says Jacobs-Mijolovic, a family and consumer science teacher from New Hartford. “I needed to do something more to expand my creativity outside of just rearranging decor in my living room.”

Inspired by viral social media videos of luxury picnics on exotic beaches, she started making a list of scenic landscapes in Central New York that mirrored the picture-perfect backdrops.

She launched her business last spring. One year later, her Instagram page has close to 2,000 followers and her calendar has bookings through the end of 2022.

The name Picnique is a play on words, alluding to her promise that each picnic is curated specifically for each client.

“No two picnics are alike,” she says. “I don’t want it to be cookie cutter. I love to pair new patterns and textures together with quaint dishes and glassware to create a bespoke experience for each client.” Her style trends toward bohemian, but with a collected, vintage vibe and a sprinkle of eclectic whimsy.

She begins by layering vintage rugs beneath low-profile tables and chairs. A styled mix of pillows, poufs and throw blankets add texture to the scene. She builds each table setting with chargers, plates and cutlery, vintage glassware and linens. Sparkling water chills in an ice bucket, tall taper candles, lanterns and twinkling lights set the mood.

A lace teepee adds height to the scene, while bouquets of pampas grass flutter in the wind.

Happy%2BWorld%2BSea%2BTurtle%2BDay.png

Welcome to World Sea Turtle Day!

World Sea Turtle Day honors and highlights the importance of sea turtles and recognizes sea turtle conservation and protection efforts around the world. It is held on the birthdate of noted sea turtle biologist Archie Carr, who founded the Sea Turtle Conservancy and helped create the community that works to protect sea turtles today.

Only a fraction of the sea turtles that once populated the Earth remain on it today. Sea turtles have been killed for their meat, eggs, skin, and shells. Their feeding and nesting habitats face destruction, and they are under threat from pollution. In particular, they are threatened by plastic dumped into the oceans.

There are seven species of sea turtles, which are also known as marine turtles. The smallest is Kemp's ridley. It can grow to about two feet in length and to a weight of close to 90 pounds. The largest is the leatherback. It can reach a length of close to six feet and usually weighs between 650 and 1,300 pounds. The other species are the green, hawksbill, olive ridley, loggerhead, and flatback.

SU News

Virginia Football Schedule Preview: Syracuse (sportswar.com; $; Myers)

After three non-conference games to start the season, the Virginia football team will take on its first ACC opponent of the 2022 campaign, the Syracuse Orange. Coming off a 1-10 record in 2020, the Orange started the 2021 season 5-4 before dropping their last three games to finish 5-7.

Dino Babers, who is entering his seventh season at the helm, is on maybe the hottest seat in the ACC. Other than a 10-3 season in 2018, Cuse has yet to see more than five wins in a season during his tenure, amassing a 29-43 record. Another storyline for this matchup will be Robert Anae and Jason Beck coaching against their former team, as Anae took the offensive coordinator job at Syracuse after Bronco Mendenhall’s departure, while Beck is the QB coach.

Let’s look at the next game on the 2022 schedule.

Syracuse Orange

• Friday, Sept. 23, 2022 – 7:30 p.m.
  • JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, NY (FieldTurf)
  • 2021 Overall Record: 5-7 (2-6 ACC)
  • Coach: Dino Babers, 7th season
  • Last Meeting: Oct. 17, 2015 – UVA won 44-38 (3OT)
  • Key Returning Players: Sean Tucker (RB), Mikel Jones (LB), Darian “Duce” Chestnut (DB), Garrett Williams (DB), Stefon Thompson (LB)

What To Expect On Game Day

What’s To Like: Syracuse returns multiple players from 2021. The Orange return about 80% of last season’s production and 17 starters. On one hand, this could be looked at as a negative, especially when a team goes under .500. However, it shows there is stability with the team and experience, which is something that the Cavaliers are lacking at various positions.

Syracuse brings some of the better players at their respective positions in the conference. Sean Tucker is the star of the show, but I will get to him later. At the second level, Syracuse returns all three linebackers. Mikel Jones ranked No. 22 in the nation with 9.2 tackles per game, compiling a team-leading 111 tackles in 12 games. Next to him, Stefon Thompson amassed 79 tackles and 6 sacks in 2021. Marlowe Wax completes the trio, as he made 60 tackles and had 4 sacks last season. These linebackers have all started games in two or more seasons, and Virginia could have its hands full trying to slow them down.

Duce Chestnut was a breakout player for Syracuse as a freshman. He compiled 43 tackles, 11 passes defended, 8 pass break-ups, and 3 interceptions. His early success earned him a spot on the Freshman All-American team by ESPN and other national publications and was All-ACC Third Team. He also finished second in ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year voting, falling to Clemson’s Andre Mukuba. Chestnut has already made a major impact early in his career, and we should hear his name a lot, as he goes up against Brennan Armstrong and the Virginia receiving weapons.

Garrett Williams pairs along with Chestnut at cornerback. Although Chestnut receives a lot of hype because of his accomplishments as a freshman, it can be argued that Williams is the better defensive back. In 10 games last season, Williams had 52 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, and an ACC-leading 9 pass break-ups (also led ACC in pass break-ups in 2020 with 10). Despite a top-tier aerial attack from Virginia, the Hoos must be cautious against this duo and the other defensive players listed above, as they are all some of the top players in the ACC at their position.

What’s Not To Like: One spot where Syracuse does not retain much production is on the defensive line. Redshirt junior Caleb Okechukwu, who is also the only upperclassman on this front, is the most experienced of the group, making 14 tackles and 1 sack in 258 snaps

Father’s Day Podcast and Q&A With Dino Babers, Head Football Coach (syr.edu; Boccacino)

On the football field, Dino Babers is known as the passionate head coach of the Syracuse University football team, the charismatic leader who has delivered his share of emotional pre- and post-game speeches.

Dino Babers

Head football coach Dino Babers

But beyond the wins, beyond his ability to inspire his student-athletes, Babers is a family man first and foremost, a coach who preaches the values of family and togetherness to his players and his coaching staff.

Entering his seventh season as the Orange’s head football coach, Babers treats his football team as a second family—“I have 104 stepsons on this team,” he proudly says. Off the field, Dino and his wife, Susan, have raised four daughters: Breeahnah, Tasha, Jazzmin and Paris.
Being surrounded by family is nothing new for Babers, who was the middle child, one of six siblings in a proud military family. Babers’ father, Luther, had a distinguished 21-year career in the Navy, including as a chief petty officer on the USS Enterprise. Babers learned from an early age the importance of discipline.

Leading up to Father’s Day, Babers sat down with us to reflect on how his military upbringing influenced his coaching style, how his father taught him the important values of discipline and doing something the right way, and how his life forever changed when he became a father for the first time.

Here is the full conversation with Babers on the ’Cuse Conversations podcast. A transcript [PDF] is also available.

Why is your football team like a family to you, and how do you instill that sense of family with the team?
    I have 104 stepsons on the football team, and everyone has to operate in a family atmosphere. Everybody has an understanding of what family’s all about, and based on that foundation, we try to make it grow and we try to make it better. The one thing I tell these young men all the time is that these guys that you’re playing football with, they may not be your brothers, but they’re just like your brothers, and when you get married some of these guys are going to be in your wedding. It’s a special, special situation, and football is a special, special game, and to be around so many different individuals striving to do something together that they all want to achieve is extremely, extremely special.
    Your father, Luther, was in the Navy for more than 20 years. How did that military upbringing impact you growing up?
    I grew up on military bases, and when my dad started to move up and rank and stuff you’d have an option of whether you wanted to live in town or on the base, and it almost seems like he would alternate back and forth. When you’re growing up in the ’60s and the ’70s, there are certain things going on on military bases that are not happening in the real world. You’re not having an issue with what water fountain you want to drink out of in the ’60s when you’re on a military base, everybody drinks out the same water fountain. Then you can go through the gates and go into town and you better know exactly what water fountain you’re going to drink out of. We used to have what we called base rules and town rules, and as a young person, you had to know the difference and you had to make sure your brothers and sisters knew the difference as well.
    I hear there's a story about making your bed for your father that really taught you a valuable life lesson.
    After he showed us how to make a bed, we were supposed to be able to copy that. So we’d make the bed in what we thought was good form, and then he’d come in and flip a quarter, but the quarter didn’t bounce twice on the bed. And if it didn’t bounce twice on the bed, obviously the sheets and the coverings weren’t tight enough. So he came in, the quarter didn’t bounce twice and he ripped my tail of the sheets and gave me the quarter back and told me to stop wasting his time, and that I need to test the bed before he comes in here again. That was hard for a little kid, but it taught me about discipline.
    Does your military upbringing impact how you coach our student-athletes?
    This is what I tell the guys, and I tell the mothers and the fathers this in recruiting, as well. I’ve got a military background, but I don’t necessarily run my team that way. I want to be able to communicate, I want them to be able to come to me with issues. I don’t want them to be necessarily intimidated by me, I want them to respect what I do, and we want to take this journey together. They’re 17- and 18-year-old men turning into 21- and 22-year-old men, and there’s going to be some growth. We want to grow together.
    What was your football story? Did your father get you into football?
    He wouldn’t let me play. My dad was a semi-professional player who played back in the sixties. The Navy, Army, Air Force and the Marines had football teams on the bases. I used to go to the games and hold the chains and watch my dad play. I was never allowed to play organized football until the eighth grade, and when I signed up, all the other kids had been playing for years. They all had their positions, and I was the new kid that had never played before, so they put me at center. I played center on a losing football team, and then in the ninth grade the coaches changed, and I went from playing center to playing quarterback, and we won a championship and didn’t lose a game with the exact same personnel.
    That’s when I realized that coaching matters. One of the things I’m always big with to our coaches is everybody has an opportunity to start, everybody has an opportunity to play, and just because a guy started one year doesn’t mean he starts the next year. Every year is a clean slate. You have to give the players an opportunity to develop past where they were before. You have to give them an opportunity for growth, and you have to see that growth if you’re going to be an evaluator of talent.
Get to Know Your Orange Man: #74, OL Jakob Bradford (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

Name: Jakob Bradford
Position: Offensive Line
Year: Redshirt Sophomore
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 296 lbs
Hometown: Brooklyn Park, Minn.
High School: Park Center (Iowa Central CC)

2021 stats: Bradford got two games at offensive line last season.

2022 projections: As usual, Syracuse’s starters on the offensive line are pretty secure and known. Bradford isn’t one of them, but he’s consistently on the second line. Expect Bradford to continue to grow as the Orange prep him for a potential starting role next season.

How’d he get here?: Bradford was mainly considering Syracuse and Virginia Tech during the transfer process but stuck with the Orange.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Three stars as a JUCO transfer.

Money quote: Bradford told Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister what Syracuse could expect from him.

Twitter feed: @jakobbradford74

Tweets of wonder: Be careful of what your boss has access to.

Interesting nugget o’interest: Bradford signed with Syracuse before the Orange signed Mike Schmidt. Essentially, he signed with Cuse without an offensive line coach.

Let’s get a look at ya: Good ol’ signing day tape.

WEB_tucker-1024x576.jpg

Scouting Report on the Next Great Syracuse Running Back (nfldiamonds.com; Bey)

Over the years, Syracuse University has had several great Running Backs (Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Csonka, Joe Morris, and Floyd Little among many others). In 2021, Sean Tucker broke the all-time single-season rushing record with 1,496 yards. As a 3rd yr Sophomore, he will have 2 more years of eligibility after the 2022 season, but he should be one of the first backs taken in the 2023 draft if he continues to improve.

Name, Jersey #: Sean Tucker #34
School (Code): NYSY
DOB, Class Yr: 10/25/01, 3rd yr SO (2022 Season)
Height, Weight: 5100e, 209e
40 Yd Dash: 4.54e
Position/Depth: RB 1
Honors/Captainship: 2021, 1st team All-ACC, 1st team All-American (FWAA), 2nd team All-American (AP)
Season Viewed (yr): 2021
Games Watched: @FLST, NCWF, SCCL, MABC, @NCST
Scout Name/Date: Mike Bey 5/15/22

Per Year Stats

2021 12 GP 12 GS 246 att, 1496 yards, 12 rush TD, 20 rec, 255 2 TD rec
2020 9 GP 9 GS 137 att, 626 yds, 4 TD, 8 rec 113 yds

Player Summary:

3rd yr SO and 2 yr starter at RB in the spread option offense of NYSY with gap and zone run blocking where he receives nearly all of the carries. Adequate height, weight, and speed with muscular arms and powerful legs. He is an above-average athlete showing good COD, above average quickness and agility, solid acceleration in the open field with adequate balance, and solid top-end play speed. He exhibits good vision as he finds the open hole or cutback lane with quick feet and good COD to bend it back or bounce it to the outside if need be. Good finish ability when running inside as he falls forward for extra yardage. On outside zone runs, he uses his above-average quickness and agility to beat OLB with ordinary AA and play speed to the edge. He shows very good competitive toughness as he is physical at the POA not shying away from contact against any defender and mentally as he rises to the occasion in critical situations. Quality stamina and durability enable him to play fresh in the 4th qtr. He is above average in pass pro as he locates the blitzing defender, and squares up using his good play strength and UOH to negate the progress of LB with good size and solid AA blitzing through the A or B gap. Solid ability in the passing game running curls, flats, and wheel routes showing good hands with quality manual dexterity to catch the ball away from his body. He also adjusts his body to the ball when it is thrown low. Struggles to consistently break tackles from larger defenders due to adequate contact balance. Will hesitate at times near the LOS enabling DL and LB with good explosiveness and play strength to bring him down for a TFL or little to no gain. Lack of elite play speed prevents him from consistently outrunning DB and athletic LB when running the ball or after the catch.

Scheme Fit:

Run heavy offense with zone blocking scheme

Power Statement:

Iowa State lands its fourth football recruit in a week; two for 2022 and two for 2023 (desmoinesregister.com; Peterson)

Iowa State stayed hot on the 2022 football recruiting trail during a very hot Wednesday afternoon.

The Cyclones picked up Myles Norwood, a cornerback from Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs. Five days ago, Iowa State added JC offensive lineman Oluwafunto Akinshilo, who previously played at El Camino College in California.

Norwood, a 6-foot-3, 180-pounder from St. Louis, will enter Matt Campbell’s program immediately, after redshirting his freshman season in 2021.

Norwood announced his decision early Wednesday evening on social media. He chose the Cyclones over offers from Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and Syracuse.

Akinshilo, who announced last Saturday, is a 6-5, 310-pounder previously committed to Boise State. He picked Iowa State over Mississippi State and Indiana.

It’s been a busy week or so for Campbell and his staff. While conducting two weeks of prospect camps, Iowa State also received 2023 commitments from two-way player Kooper Ebel from Hartley-Melvin Sanborn, and Ankeny’s Jamison Patton.

Top 25 All-Sports Programs as of 2022 (RX; HM)

Top 25 All-Sports Programs as of 2022

We looked at the top Men's Basketball programs earlier, so now let's consider the best overall athletic programs (2021-22 school year only):

Here are the ACC teams, along with some of their 2022 accomplishments:

• UNC (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Notre Dame (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Virginia Tech (bowl, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Miami (bowl-eligible, NCAAT, baseball)
  • Virginia (bowl, NIT)
  • Florida State (baseball)
  • NC State (bowl)
That's 7 ACC teams; the SEC and the Big Ten had 5 each; the Pac-12 had 4, the Big XII had 3 teams, and BYU was the only non power five team to make this list (of course, they'll be joining the Big XII soon).

Notre Dame sees 2023 wide receiver commit to ACC opponent - 21Sports News % (21sportsnews.com; Rehman)

The Irish have been looking all across the country for skill player talent and today they can scratch another name off their board. After California wide receiver DeAndre Moore Jr. decommitted from Oklahoma, Notre Dame was among a small group of schools that the star receiver was still considering.

Moore Jr. is not long considering anyone except Louisville, who got a verbal pledge from the six-foot and 185-pound star this afternoon. For the Cardinals, the Californian represents hope, one of the highest all-time commitments in their programs history. As for Marcus Freeman and the Irish, it’s back to the drawing board to find another elite receiver prospect.

There are still some big-time receivers still looking very hard at the Irish which include Florida’s Carnell Tate, Texas’s Jaden Greathouse, North Carolina’s Christian Hamilton and California’s Rico Flores. The hope is that at least two of these highly thought of pass-catchers join Texas’ Braylon James in South Bend.

Offensive Skill Awards (RX; HM)

Offensive Skill Awards

Credit goes to reader "bill Dooley" for suggesting this post.

There are three major awards given to offensive skill position players:

Here's a tweet showing which schools have been represented by these award winners:

There are a few surprises in this list, in my opinion; for instance:
Fred Biletnikoff played wide receiver at Florida State, yet no Seminole has ever won the award?
No ACC school has winners of all three awards. In fact, only two school have winners of more than one: Boston College (RB and QB) and Georgia Tech (WR and QB).

Boston College is the only ACC school with a Doak Walker (RB) Award winner.

Besides Georgia Tech, the only other ACC football program with a Biletnikoff winner is Pitt - and that guy transferred to Southern California. Notre Dame also has one (Golden Tate, 2009).

On the other hand, the ACC has lots of Davey O'Brien (QB) Award winners. In fact, six different ACC schools have produced a Davey O'Brien winner: BC, Clemson, Florida State, GT, Miami, and Syracuse.

Can Cristoal, Miami pick up Clemson de-commit Nathaniel Joseph? - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Nathaniel Joseph is on the move. Two days after Clemson landed a big commitment from 4-star 2023 linebacker Jamal Anderson, a Top 175 Prospect, the Tigers lost a commitment from 4-star wide receiver Nathaniel Joseph.

A Top 100 prospect in the 2023 class, Joseph hails from Miami.

Back in Sept. 2021, Joseph committed to Clemson — during his junior season of prep ball. At the time, Joseph picked Clemson over Florida State (primarily), Florida and Texas A&M. However, a lot has changed in the coaching ranks over the last nine months. Namely, Miami has seemingly reinvented itself as an athletics department — flushed with cash and a new head football coach, Mario Cristobal.

(Of course, Clemson’s coaching staff was shook up this offseason, too: offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, who would’ve called plays for Joseph, left for Virginia, while ace defensive coordinator Brent Venables departed for Oklahoma.)

Clemson football: Tigers can win with DJ Uiagalelei (rubbingtherock.com; Chancey)

Can Clemson football win big with D.J. Uiagalelei at quarterback?

439 passing yards. The third best single game mark in Clemson history.

That was DJ Uiagalelei’s second start in his young career. The five-star recruit from California battled to the bitter end in South Bend that night. The Tiger’s lost in double overtime to the Irish, but DJ’s performance was the bright spot for Clemson fans. The defense was depleted by injuries, both at key positions and on the depth chart. Clemson fans were excited to welcome Trevor Lawrence back from his COVID quarantine the next weekend, but it appeared that when DJ took the reins in 2021 that we would continue to see a high level of play from the quarterback position.

Reality did not match expectations. DJ’s start to 2021 was underwhelming. The offense had plenty of problems – the line didn’t gel, the running backs were young and inexperienced, the wide receivers weren’t playing well – but the lack of performance from the quarterback position was shocking. The guy who walked out on the field in 2021 didn’t look like the guy that entered the record books in South Bend in 2020.

It didn’t take Clemson Nation long to begin to question the abilities of Uiagalelei. Did we let a big passing yard total distract us from the fact that Clemson lost against Notre Dame, and needed a big comeback to squeak out a victory the week before against Boston College in Death Valley? Did we fail to recognize that receivers like Amari Rodgers and Cornell Powell were making the big plays, and not DJ?

It didn’t seem like Travis Etienne was having a big season in 2020, and there was a big turnover on a running play in both games DJ started in 2020. It seemed like he was struggling, but maybe he was also carrying the team much more that we realized? Maybe he was drawing so much attention from the defense that it opened a lot of opportunities that wouldn’t have been there otherwise?

DJ passed the eye test in 2020, but suddenly we realized he was only 1-1, and the one win required a big comeback by the Tigers. By mid-season 2021, he was only 4-4 against FBS competition all-time. What we hoped was a slow start was becoming the norm for Clemson’s next big star.

From that point on, DJ and the Tigers went 6-0, getting Clemson to the 10-win mark for the 11th season in a row.

What changed? Did DJ’s performance jump up the way so many had hoped? When you look at DJ’s stats for the season, he certainly had some games where he played better than others, but overall his numbers didn’t change significantly. He had just as many interceptions in the last six games as he did in the first seven, and threw one less touchdown.

ACC preview: Breaking down the wide-open Coastal Division (ESPN; $; Connelly)

With football conferences now allowed to eschew divisions in the name of a "permanent rivals, heavily rotated schedules and the top two teams in the conference championship game" era, the ultimate parity of the ACC Coastal division could soon be a thing of the past.

Overall, this shift is welcome: The heavy rotations mean big conferences will actually feel like conferences -- North Carolina and Wake Forest won't have to arrange a nonconference game just to see each other again -- and putting the two best teams in the conference title game makes a lot of sense for College Football Playoff stakes. Plus, it was always unfair that some programs randomly landed in the Florida State- and Clemson-dominated Atlantic division while peers of similar stature had a chance to win in the less-top-heavy Coastal.

Still, one cannot say that the Coastal has lacked charm. All seven teams won a title between 2013 and 2019, an absolutely perfect display of parity. It is one of a kind, and hey, it's not dead yet. Defending champ Pittsburgh is replacing important pieces, Miami remains a mystery, and SP+ projects five teams within 1.8 average wins atop the division. Things could get weird once again.

Let's preview the ACC Coastal!

Every week through the offseason, Bill Connelly will preview another division from the Group of 5 and Power 5 exclusively for ESPN+, ultimately including all 131 FBS teams. The previews will include 2021 breakdowns, 2022 previews and burning questions for each team.

(youtube.com; video; ESPN)

Devin Leary is the ONLY QB in ACC history to hit the 35 TD-5 INT threshold in a season

NC State Wolfpack Football: 3 Keys To Win Atlantic Division & ACC Championship (youtube; podcast; Locked on the ACC)

Listen to Candace's 3 keys for the Wolfpack to win the Atlantic Division AND the ACC Championship this 2022 Football season. Who's back that will help the Pack be great this season? Can NC State get out of its own way.

Other

V4PWHYAQAFEBFFN3SQGQLX5ZXM.jpg

A picnic from Party + PicnicCo

You’ve heard of glamping, now try picnique-ing, NY’s new luxury outdoor trend (PS; $; Potrikus)

This story originally ran in the May/June 2022 issue of Central New York Magazine. The magazine is available by delivery to subscribers of syracuse.com or The Post-Standard for $25 a year. To find out more or to subscribe, visit readcnymagazine.com.

In the past year, Toby Jacobs-Mijolovic has styled luxury picnics for elevated date nights, bridal showers and bachelorette parties, birthday brunches and rehearsal dinners.

The intimate celebrations are a swoon-worthy Instagram image come to life, staged in scenic locations across Central New York.

Her business, Picnique 315, grew from her need for a creative outlet during the early days of the pandemic.

“I kept redecorating every room in my house,” says Jacobs-Mijolovic, a family and consumer science teacher from New Hartford. “I needed to do something more to expand my creativity outside of just rearranging decor in my living room.”

Inspired by viral social media videos of luxury picnics on exotic beaches, she started making a list of scenic landscapes in Central New York that mirrored the picture-perfect backdrops.

She launched her business last spring. One year later, her Instagram page has close to 2,000 followers and her calendar has bookings through the end of 2022.

The name Picnique is a play on words, alluding to her promise that each picnic is curated specifically for each client.

“No two picnics are alike,” she says. “I don’t want it to be cookie cutter. I love to pair new patterns and textures together with quaint dishes and glassware to create a bespoke experience for each client.” Her style trends toward bohemian, but with a collected, vintage vibe and a sprinkle of eclectic whimsy.

She begins by layering vintage rugs beneath low-profile tables and chairs. A styled mix of pillows, poufs and throw blankets add texture to the scene. She builds each table setting with chargers, plates and cutlery, vintage glassware and linens. Sparkling water chills in an ice bucket, tall taper candles, lanterns and twinkling lights set the mood.

A lace teepee adds height to the scene, while bouquets of pampas grass flutter in the wind.
Wondering what running back Michael Bey was reviewing in his scouting report on "the Next Great Syracuse Running Back." Not sure it was Sean Tucker. "Struggles to consistently break tackles"...? " Will hesitate at times near the LOS"...? "Lack of elite play speed"...? Really? I realize those are the only less-than-positive observations Bey levies against Tucker, but breaking tackles and speeding through holes with no hesitation --against all comers-- are among Tucker's strong suits.