For the Buddy bashers, how many games have been | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For the Buddy bashers, how many games have been

Even still. Tyus averaged 3.3 boards per game last year in similar minutes. Buddy is averaging less than 2. He has to do more, especially when he's getting locked up like he has been lately.

Agreed, but outside of yesterday I wouldn't say he was locked down against Georgia Tech, UNC and BC and i think that's where the OP is coming from. Lot's of hyperbolic posts lately in a lot of threads. Some(tbonezone) even like the re-write history.

Buddy Boeheim is Luke Hancock on a good team.

The problem is the roster he plays on doesn’t have the depth and skill for Buddy to be the Hancock on this team.
He has to play minutes and be relied on like he is Bradley Beal.

We need more talent so Buddy can be the player he is. Which is a perfect complementary player on a NC team like Hancock.
You’re right but I think this is what it will be for the next 2 years. Kids know they probably won’t play ahead of Buddy no matter what. Once Buddy started getting 35+ mpg this year it’s hard to imagine him going back down to 20mpg or so.

it’s why we will most likely see a few guys Transfer and also a reason that we most likelu won’t land an impact 2G over the next 2 years.

Buddy is a tremendous shooter but I think you need to be more than that to get 35+ mpg in theACC

Exactly right. I’d also like to see Buddy get the hook when he doesn’t even try for a loose ball or rebound that falls in front of him. His rebounding is atrocious, completely devoid of effort. No one else on the team is allowed to do what he does in terms of rebounding.
I think this criticism is fair. He is not as tough as a lot of guards who out work him for rebounds and loose balls. I don't think it's the biggest deal but that's what I see

Buddy Boeheim is Luke Hancock on a good team.

The problem is the roster he plays on doesn’t have the depth and skill for Buddy to be the Hancock on this team.
He has to play minutes and be relied on like he is Bradley Beal.

We need more talent so Buddy can be the player he is. Which is a perfect complementary player on a NC team like Hancock.

The year Louisville won Hancock averaged more assists and rebounds per game than Buddy did this year and Hancock played 10 less minutes a game. Also, Hancock was playing with guys like Russ and Siva who were the primary playmakers and Dieng, Harrell, and Behanan who rebounded at a much higher rate than anyone on our roster that limited his opportunity for both stats.

Buddy is incredibly one dimensional in terms of what he can contribute and reality is he finished 21st in the conference at that one skill so tough to justify how he still played 35+ mpg.

Also, I don't know if he'd be able to play on a top 25 team, let alone contender, that didn't play zone. In any high level game he'd be hunted on the defensive end in man and attacked pretty much everytime down. Tough to keep that type of player in the game if they aren't giving you much anywhere else.

As always, expert analysis from Pat.

Do you offer any opinions on the actual play of the players? Or are you just a paid pollyanna?
The players play hard and were recruited by other teams so they are good and they try and are also pretty good if you squint and they could have won 25 games this season if not for the refs and the good players left too early because they are traitors and did so to torpedo the program that Boeheim built so shut up.

The players play hard and were recruited by other teams so they are good and they try and are also pretty good if you squint and they could have won 25 games this season if not for the refs and the good players left too early because they are traitors and did so to torpedo the program that Boeheim built so shut up.
Classic. So many elements all tied up nicely in a single (very long) sentence.

I always figured Julie to be the voice of reason -- and perhaps the only voice -- that could get through the old man's skull. Does she not see what we all see? Can she say something to Jim?

I always figured Julie to be the voice of reason -- and perhaps the only voice -- that could get through the old man's skull. Does she not see what we all see? Can she say something to Jim?

About what?

Buddy is in the bottom 10 in all of P6 in DRtg. He’s in the bottom 12 in all of college basketball in DReb%. He has the worst DBPM of any starting guard in the ACC.

Buddy’s closest advanced defensive statistical comp for ‘20 is ’17 John Gillon.

Marek, Hughes and Buddy have all seen their advanced D stats take a hit this year due to our poor team defense. I don’t think they individually got worse. I def saw flashes of adequacy in Buddy‘s defense last year, esp late.

Buddy is a fantastic shooter. He’s added that pull up drive. I have not found data on number of floors spaced but I’m told he’s great at that too. Optimistic that better team defense can hide his flaws.

Last edited:
I think we have to many posters that got one at bat and played two defensive innings and are still butt hurt.

If you're going to go full on Boomer you should at least have a participation trophy reference in this post.

Buddy is a tremendous shooter
Buddy had good games shooting the 3 this season.
Over the entire season Buddy's shooting wasn't "tremendous" from my perspective.
Buddy's shooting often didn't trump limitations in athleticism, defensive capability, rebounding.

Not bashing. It is what it is. Ideally, SU should not have to:
Start a player of Buddy's caliber and play them 40".
Start a freshman shooting guard at PG, who also is challenged by limitations in athleticism, as well as size.

Our starting guards had their moments, but struggled this season.
SU was fortunate that Joe was able to fill in as an "emergency PG". He struggled at times, but a lot to ask and appreciated Joe's moxie.
Buddy is determined and works hard, but another case of filling a bigger role than should have to.

Hope that both improve and/or others step up to improve SU at guard next season.

Buddy’s defensive woes outweighs his shooting imo, as he’s not nearly consistent enough shooting to justify 35 mpg.

BUT

Our other options are worse.

Thus he plays that much unless Quincy takes the 4 with Marek at the 3 and Elijah sliding up to 2.

BUT

Marek/Bou/Q are constantly in foul trouble.

Washington and Goodine need to be somewhat competent scoring threats to give Buddy more breathers. You don’t even have to guard these two outside of 15 feet. Thats an issue.

We would have had a net 5 additional wins.

Are you JBs neighbor? Buddy’s god parent, his former CYO coach? What is the point of the question? People are completely irrational when evaluating kids from CNY, both for and against.

No one is truly arguing that he shouldn’t start and play given the roster. Most people are arguing that it is absolutely ridiculous that he doesn’t come off the floor.

To take it a step further it’s ridiculous that anyone consistently plays 40 minutes and even more so that multiple guys do.

Buddy was too good for CYO

Buddy’s defensive woes outweighs his shooting imo, as he’s not nearly consistent enough shooting to justify 35 mpg.

BUT

Our other options are worse.

Thus he plays that much unless Quincy takes the 4 with Marek at the 3 and Elijah sliding up to 2.

BUT

Marek/Bou/Q are constantly in foul trouble.

Washington and Goodine need to be somewhat competent scoring threats to give Buddy more breathers. You don’t even have to guard these two outside of 15 feet. Thats an issue.
I agree with most of this except for the last paragraph. I don't think we or our opponents know enough about Goodine's game to know where he has to be guarded from. Sample size is too limited in my opinion.

Here's the bottomline - Both Buddy and Joe are playing the minutes they are playing because there weren't viable alternatives. Carey struggled again and then got injured. Goodine really struggled and then got injured. Washington is not viable for more than spot minutes.

In a perfect world Buddy and Joe would have been splitting time at the two, but that's not how it shook out. They are both playing too much too early, but what other choices that would have led to more wins? JB made a conscious decision to trade more scoring (at both spots) for defense among the choices he had.

At the end of the day SU didn't win or lose because of two or three rebounds a game from the shooting guard.

Here's the bottomline - Both Buddy and Joe are playing the minutes they are playing because there weren't viable alternatives. Carey struggled again and then got injured. Goodine really struggled and then got injured. Washington is not viable for more than spot minutes.

In a perfect world Buddy and Joe would have been splitting time at the two, but that's not how it shook out. They are both playing too much too early, but what other choices that would have led to more wins? JB made a conscious decision to trade more scoring (at both spots) for defense among the choices he had.

At the end of the day SU didn't win or lose because of two or three rebounds a game from the shooting guard.
Better defense would have won more games.

Of course she says something to JB..."Buddy is MY son and he better play more minutes then anyone." ;)

Interesting...I was thinking the exact opposite. More like; now honey, we both love our son to pieces, but you just have to find a way to give our beloved boy a breather for crying out loud! I mean, him logging all those minutes really rears its ugly head in these games lately, he can't even guard a sole up top, nor have any energy to hit his jumper or grab a rebound either. How can you just sit there and watch this happen in front of you! I'm embarrassed for him out there! You're the coach..but more importantly, his father! Please do something...please! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom