For the Buddy bashers, how many games have been | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For the Buddy bashers, how many games have been

The issue is Buddy should in the best case a key bench guy that plays 15-20 mins/game. stretches the defense with shooting. Unfortunately he's in a role far greater than what he has the ability to do.

Duke has 3-5 McDonald’s All Americans on the bench at any given time.Response to cuse 12

Who's a "buddy basher?" Anyone who dared to criticize any one of his performances?
This 'basher' nonsense sounds like myspace era kidstuff.

He does some stuff very well. He does other stuff very not well. People talk about both. Kinda why we're here. He's not alone. He's not a target.

Here's the bottomline - Both Buddy and Joe are playing the minutes they are playing because there weren't viable alternatives. Carey struggled again and then got injured. Goodine really struggled and then got injured. Washington is not viable for more than spot minutes.

In a perfect world Buddy and Joe would have been splitting time at the two, but that's not how it shook out. They are both playing too much too early, but what other choices that would have led to more wins? JB made a conscious decision to trade more scoring (at both spots) for defense among the choices he had.

At the end of the day SU didn't win or lose because of two or three rebounds a game from the shooting guard.
That may have been true initially...but at the very least Goodine and HoWash look absolutely playable for 10-15 minutes each per game based on what we’ve seen from them recently. Unless of course there’s more injuries that we aren’t aware of

Who's a "buddy basher?" Anyone who dared to criticize any one of his performances?
This 'basher' nonsense sounds like myspace era kidstuff.

He does some stuff very well. He does other stuff very not well. People talk about both. Kinda why we're here. He's not alone. He's not a target.

Notice that people who suggest Goodine can’t shoot, etc aren’t Goodine bashers. Weird how that works

Buddy has done a lot of good, but out of the starters he’s last in the following advanced stats:

Box plus minus
Defensive box plus minus
WS/40 (win shares)
WS (ties for last with JGIII)
DWS
Steal %
Total Rebound %
PER

Now, these are just ones that he’s last in. He’s clearly been a key contributor to the team. But he is and should be open to criticism.

Mind you, his usage rate is second on the team to Elijah.

We need to get better across the board. Buddy isn’t good enough on offense to offset his poor play on defense. I’m sure he’ll be putting in work, but our overall team talent level needs to get better, including getting much better defensively up top.

Here's the bottomline - Both Buddy and Joe are playing the minutes they are playing because there weren't viable alternatives.
I don't feel that statement is true.

Year in and year out now we have guys playing the full game, and every year we find ways to rationalize it. But there's a problem either way - either we're just running guys into the ground, or our program is incapable of solving the underlying reasons why some guys "have to" play so much.

It's tiring. No pun intended.

But again, I just don't believe it anymore. Our rotations are entirely built around JB's comfort. That's it. It's not about having to space the floor. It's not about having guys behind the starters that can't chip in a few minutes. It's not about how guys are in practice. It's about the anxiety JB feels when one of his guys isn't out there. He can't handle it. The first chance he has to put them back in and calm his nerves, he takes it.

he's built his own unique rotation based solely on foul trouble.

Duke has 3-5 McDonald’s All Americans on the bench at any given time.Response to cuse 12
Point taken, but still it’s Zion Williamson.

Let’s put it this way
(Let’s not discuss the ratings just examples)

Zion rating: 99 His bench replacement: 85

buddy rating:80 His bench replacement: 66

so I guess I see it that the bench replacements are netting the same (-14)

Point taken, but still it’s Zion Williamson.

Let’s put it this way
(Let’s not discuss the ratings just examples)

Zion rating: 99 His bench replacement: 85

buddy rating:80 His bench replacement: 66

so I guess I see it that the bench replacements are netting the same (-14)
If we use direct player examples, Zions backup last year was the #44 recruit in 2016, and Buddys backup this year was the #77 recruit in 2019. Those are fairly close. Your statement would be true if Buddy’s backup was a walk on

The players play hard and were recruited by other teams so they are good and they try and are also pretty good if you squint and they could have won 25 games this season if not for the refs and the good players left too early because they are traitors and did so to torpedo the program that Boeheim built so shut up.
If i squint both eyes, shut my mouth, squeeze my sphincter, while holding my breath is it possible i will have a vision of SU making the Big dance?

just rather odd that JB has tailored his team phiosophy to accommodate for a group of 3 point chuckers who play basically lazy D and don't rebound just when his son buddy arrives on campus. the stars have aligned !

Buddy has certain skills that are big positives. He should really be a third guard coming off the bench for a contending team.

the problem I have with buddy, aside from too many minutes which is really a jimmy problem, is that he doesn’t scrap or fight for the ball.

jimmy would not put up with that from anybody but his own kid, and, yes, I am clearly saying jimmy plays favorites.

Here's the bottomline - Both Buddy and Joe are playing the minutes they are playing because there weren't viable alternatives.

Hughes is a natural 2 and has been playing out of position all year, he could've easily filled in at the 2 for 5-10 minutes per game. This would've given Guerrier more minutes which I think he proved he deserved as the year went on.

Buddy got 17 minutes a game last year as a sub for Tyus and Frank. He earned those minutes in conference play because he could shoot. Was he lighting it up out of conference though? Nope. Did those early semi force feed minutes help his confidence? Probably. And it probably is the reason he improved during the season.

Crazy theory I know. Let a young player work through some mistakes because it improves them, their confidence and your team by the end of the season. The frustration is that this approach seems to be a one off with JB and was only used with buddy when a lot of players who probably benefit from this. Brycen has skills the starting guards don’t have just like buddy had skills last year the startling guards didn’t have.

Buddy has certain skills that are big positives. He should really be a third guard coming off the bench for a contending team.

the problem I have with buddy, aside from too many minutes which is really a jimmy problem, is that he doesn’t scrap or fight for the ball.

jimmy would not put up with that from anybody but his own kid, and, yes, I am clearly saying jimmy plays favorites.

JB has always played favorites, just wasn't a relative in the past.

Premise of argument is sound but elite teams often have more opportunity to sit starters so that plays a role
I thought I remembered people saying Duke didn't have much depth last year.

Do they? Don't most of them leave after one year only to be replaced by the next class?

Last edited:
Do they? Don't most of then leave after one year only to be replaced by the next class?
If they have 8 Mc D AAs and 3 are one and done( that doesn’t happen every year) And they bring in 2 or 3 more ...I don’t get your math.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom