Four In - Five Out - Question for the Gurus... | Syracusefan.com

Four In - Five Out - Question for the Gurus...

newmexicuse

All Conference
have we in net upgraded our class so far under the new staff ?

I'm reserving judgement because I know there are a couple others who are potentially coming soon, and it's obviously hard to compare but...keeping Stubbs out of it for now since he doesn't have a comparable new commit (the other 4 all do), I'd say I'd lean slightly toward an upgrade, based largely on Ruff.

Ruff > Parker (and I like Parker...but size/physically/offers-wise, Ruff is on paper a clear upgrade)
Jones = Harper (this feels like a push at the moment, but Jones I think has a chance to be a better talent in the long run just because he represents a clear area of need, and 6-2 corners with good athleticism are always an upgrade over 5-11, 195 linebackers, at least on paper)

As far as the linemen, that's pretty close to a push as well. All four guys are 3-stars by most accounts. Servais and Brouse seem like a push, on paper, and O'Sullivan and DeGeorge are similar in terms of ratings as well. O'Sullivan might actually be viewed as a slight upgrade.

It's a small, small margin, but based on those four exchanges, I'd lean toward the Babers recruits - for right now - looking like a bit of an upgrade.

I'm reserving judgement because I know there are a couple others who are potentially coming soon, and it's obviously hard to compare but...keeping Stubbs out of it for now since he doesn't have a comparable new commit (the other 4 all do), I'd say I'd lean slightly toward an upgrade, based largely on Ruff.

Ruff > Parker (and I like Parker...but size/physically/offers-wise, Ruff is on paper a clear upgrade)
Jones = Harper (this feels like a push at the moment, but Jones I think has a chance to be a better talent in the long run just because he represents a clear area of need, and 6-2 corners with good athleticism are always an upgrade over 5-11, 195 linebackers, at least on paper)

As far as the linemen, that's pretty close to a push as well. All four guys are 3-stars by most accounts. Servais and Brouse seem like a push, on paper, and O'Sullivan and DeGeorge are similar in terms of ratings as well. O'Sullivan might actually be viewed as a slight upgrade.

It's a small, small margin, but based on those four exchanges, I'd lean toward the Babers recruits - for right now - looking like a bit of an upgrade.

I think you have to go upgrade because if you put the 5 decommits and 4 new commits together, the only one that stands out as a national recruit to the caliber of Neal and Culpepper is Ruff.

I agree we added Ruff so I would lean upgrade the others seem to wash each other out so for.

I agree that on talent and measurables it's a slight upgrade. And obviously the new guys fit the prototype of what Babers wants/needs better so their value to the staff is greater.

Nice thing about Ruff too is that he is an early enrollee.

What is the deal with the linemen? Doesn't seem to be a big difference. Wonder what was accomplished.

jekelish said:
Only thing I can think of is that maybe Servais and O'Sullivan are viewed as being quicker?

Of course, they're both about 30-40 pounds lighter.

Ha.

Of course, they're both about 30-40 pounds lighter.

Ha.
Well, Servais is about the same as Brouse. Both are around 260. DeGeorge has about 30 on O'Sullivan though, that's correct.

Ruff certainly seems to be significant. Kid could anchor the middle of the D for some time if he is as,advertised. Wonder how the LBs lineup works out.

I love the makeup of this staff but I am tired of the fit thing when it comes to Scott and Riggins. These 2 are fits anywhere coast to coast, especially Riggins who can play 3 Lb positions. Give me a break! And a local kid. As for Scott, the accolades he has recieved in Louisiana? Automatically go after kids like that, get em in your program.

Ish88888 said:
I love the makeup of this staff but I am tired of the fit thing when it comes to Scott and Riggins. These 2 are fits anywhere coast to coast, especially Riggins who can play 3 Lb positions. Give me a break! And a local kid. As for Scott, the accolades he has recieved in Louisiana? Automatically go after kids like that, get em in your program.

I love those two kids too and think they could be good players for us. But if they were of the caliber you say they are they'd have more P5 offers.

I believed in the old staffs ability to find guys that fit their system and like these two kids. But I think the new staff gets the benefit of the doubt.

To date it's a push.

I agree with Cuseguy. Ruff is an upgrade but Parker is a loss. If we lose Brinson it's a downgrade until the other spots are filled. The good news is

Also if I remember correctly we wouldn't take LB Solomon Manning's commit because we wanted Parker. Now we don't have either. Parker has an OV scheduled to Indiana by the way. Manning enrolled at Rutgirls.

Plus and minus talk seems pointless to me, as we don't know systems on either side of the ball, or have a good sense of the profile the coaches are looking for. With all due respect to several of the recruits we previously had lined up, many of whom seemed to be very solid athletes and good system fits under the previous staff, I think we need to give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt when it comes to identifying prospects that fit THEIR systems.

Once it's all said and done we will be way ahead. I think we are a step or two ahead at this point.

PAcuse said:
Once it's all said and done we will be way ahead. I think we are a step or two ahead at this point.

Wins and losses will ultimately decide whether we're ahead or not.

I'm curious to see how well this staff recruits against peer ACC schools and some of the other top programs SU usually recruits against.

They're really going to have to sell the new offense and work twice as hard as previous staffs in order attract better talent.

This isn't the MAC. I realize they had success at BG largely due to Dino's scheme. But they're going to have recruit a few notches higher than Shafer did to find success.

cuseguy said:
Wins and losses will ultimately decide whether we're ahead or not. I'm curious to see how well this staff recruits against peer ACC schools and some of the other top programs SU usually recruits against. They're really going to have to sell the new offense and work twice as hard as previous staffs in order attract better talent. This isn't the MAC. I realize they had success at BG largely due to Dino's scheme. But they're going to have recruit a few notches higher than Shafer did to find success.
What makes you say they will have to work twice as hard as previous staffs to attract better talent? I'm curious because it seems like the past staffs had to work pretty hard to get mediocre talent. It's a tad early to claim that this new staff is not as good at recruiting so that they have to work harder than what we've had here.

Still a ways to go. We'll probably lose a couple more, and we still will add a few as well. So far, I agree, it's pretty much a push. At least we know that the 4 new guys are guys that will fit Babers' system.

dollarbill44 said:
What makes you say they will have to work twice as hard as previous staffs to attract better talent? I'm curious because it seems like the past staffs had to work pretty hard to get mediocre talent. It's a tad early to claim that this new staff is not as good at recruiting so that they have to work harder than what we've had here.

Think the same effort will yield better results?

I think the new scheme will need to provide a few unexpected victories and that, along with news of Dome renovation, will help jump start recruiting.

I do think this staff is energized and may pull a few recruiting surprises early on. Perhaps they already have.

Still a ways to go. We'll probably lose a couple more, and we still will add a few as well. So far, I agree, it's pretty much a push. At least we know that the 4 new guys are guys that will fit Babers' system.

We won't know until we see the final class. If the last kids added are less than some of the de-commits, it will be valid to question the coaches decisions. If on the other hand, the last kids are equal or better than the de-commits, then it will be fair to say that the coaching staff made the right decisions. If the kids are equal, it is a win, as we can assume they are better fits for HCDB's system.

I am hopeful, though I have serious doubts that the coaches can fill this class out with kids that are better than Scott & Riggins. Especially as they are positions of need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom