Fran Brown is no different than every other clown here | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown is no different than every other clown here

In my lifetime, there has been four transcendent coaches: Jimmy Johnson; Meyer; Saban; and Harbaugh. Check all boxes- recruit, instill culture, strategy.

All the rest are glorified gym teachers who win through some combination of luck and circumstance. Some can improve circumstance more than others. For anyone that buys the bs, that’s really a “you” problem.

Fran will be fine. He’ll recruit better than his predecessors. That’s how he’ll maximize circumstance. I think he’ll win more than he’ll lose.

Umm common sense says you don't play the best receiver in a crucial situations one on one.
"common sense" is an oxymoron when it comes to football. Look at the play, we had inside safety help, which in essence is a double team...but the play was designed to go away from the double...side line, back shoulder...it was the perfect play and perfect execution. So, you must be talking about double coverage with two defenders in press coverage..like you see in youth football. Post some tape of a division 1 college team using that type of double coverage... I will look for some if I can find it, but I may have to ask my Mom for some of my old CYO football game films...

"common sense" is an oxymoron when it comes to football. Look at the play, we had inside safety help, which in essence is a double team...but the play was designed to go away from the double...side line, back shoulder...it was the perfect play and perfect execution. So, you must be talking about double coverage with two defenders in press coverage..like you see in youth football. Post some tape of a division 1 college team using that type of double coverage... I will look for some if I can find it, but I may have to ask my Mom for some of my old CYO football game films...

Lmfao ok bud the guy was burning us all game. Is most likely a first round pick but yeah he ends up by himself one on one. Seems like a great play because he was obviously open because of our great defensive play calling. No other defensive coordinator could have planned against the WR because it was just so great if a play call got it. At least be physical with the WR good lord.

I'd rather force the QB to make a mistake than count on our coverage to last for 8 seconds
No amount of pressure with that coverage matters, that was where he was going pre snap, it was out of his hand fast. Don’t give the receiver a free release, press or bracket him, throw the timing off, then pressure might have made a difference.

Lmfao ok bud the guy was burning us all game. Is most likely a first round pick but yeah he ends up by himself one on one. Seems like a great play because he was obviously open because of our great defensive play calling. No other defensive coordinator could have planned against the WR because it was just so great if a play call got it. At least be physical with the WR good lord.
Keep laughing with your common sense response. How would you have "doubled him"..Explain exactly your idea of double...and then we can talk..otherwise...Keep laughing..

No amount of pressure with that coverage matters, that was where he was going pre snap, it was out of his hand fast. Don’t give the receiver a free release, press or bracket him, throw the timing off, then pressure might have made a difference.

Baron was lost on that one

The call on Jobity was completely outrageous. Gift 3 points is right.
Yup. And we lost the game by only two. This is why I consistently complain about ACC refs, it literally loses us games.

Yes we can point to many things as to why we lost, but without that bogus call we still win the game.

McCord is why he is here, and Babers isn't. If he keeps recruiting QBs, Dino was what 41-55 and paid more money than anyone in the history of Syracuse university and alienated the former players, didn't recruit our key areas, and made more bad hires than i can name. Yes, he found magic a few times, but he was an average coach at best who was never going to stay long term if he had had a chance to bolt after his great season. I loved Babers wanted to keep him forever but unfortunately, he never had his heart set on NY. I hope he does well out West and I'm glad he got closer to home, but he ended up keeping his job for as long as he did because we all got caught up in his magic season and gave him the deal of the century which he milked till the end.

So would I...but, who do we have that can blitz? When we did blitz yesterday, it was only minimally successful, not like we hit paydirt with every blitz. It is a gamble to blitz and some work and some don't. If we blittzed, didn't get home and they still made the first down...there would still be fans complaining... I think our issues are still personnel more than coaching and schemes..
Stanford and teams going forward don't respect us running the ball, unless that gets fixed every game is going to go down to the wire.
Having a guy like Tucker would have been great on this team. Would have forced teams to back off, because all it took was one miss and he was gone.

Stanford and teams going forward don't respect us running the ball, unless that gets fixed every game is going to go down to the wire.
Having a guy like Tucker would have been great on this team. Would have forced teams to back off, because all it took was one miss and he was gone.
I think we passed the ball 42 times and only ran it 13 times. it will be hard to win games like that. Need more balance and I think the staff knows that.

He had 7 catches for 84 yards he didn’t burn us all game … up until that 4th down catch they held him in check after the initial TD. That same receiver lit up Travis Hunter for nearly 300 yards receiving in a half last year. Lewis was inches from a PBU … saying he lit us up is hyperbole.

Guy gave up 19 points, 3 completely gift wrapped on a 3rd and long bad flag.

McCord came down to earth a bit yesterday, OG was a no show.

As I watched the game I thought the Stanford plan was good but risky. Nixon did not call the game I thought he should have to take advantage of what Stanford was doing. From the TV view it looked like they played press coverage and blitzed the entire game. It sped up the QB, and didn’t allow for the longer routes we like to run. Nixon in my mind didn’t run anything to help mitigate this; like a swing pass to Allen among other things. I will say I thought the Stanford interior DLine was darn good. Those two kids were men.

Last edited:

it was a 27 yard pass, pressure absolutely would’ve made a difference as is. That said, press, jam, safety over the top and pressure seems like a no brainer to me.

The thing that worries me about EC is his conservative nature and when you coach for teams like Penn State and aTm talent might allow being conservative. I like pressure and speeding things up, there’s no way that Greg Schiano (one of Fran’s mentors) would’ve only rushed three there. I’m ok losing sending the house over backing off.

I love all the Monday Morning QB's and coaches on this thread...This isn't Madden Football, this is the real deal. Everyone blaming the coach for the 4th and 3 completion...Their QB made a great throw and receiver made a good catch..there was good coverage, but the throw was perfectly placed. That's football.
People are clamoring for a blitz...how many sacks did we have and how effective was our blitz all game?
We need to stop blaming coaches and start laying the blame where it belongs...on players. Their players beat our players...and our players beat ourselves with mistakes...that, is the summary of this loss...not bad coaching!
4th and 9

I'm laughing at you because apparently the defensive play call was awesome.

4th and 9
Re watch that last drive...We blitzed several times...and they still completed the pass for long gains. Blitz is a gamble that works sometimes ...and other times it doesn't. It is so easy to criticize the coaching...players didn't make plays... We had inside safety help (Barron) that 1. Didn't get there on time...and 2) Due to the ball placement, inside or over the top safety help wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing that would have kept that play from being successful was 1) A sack of the QB...or 2) a bad Throw...or 3) a drop by the receiver. None of which happened. Move on!!

Stanford will be one of the worst in the ACC. This is an awful loss. Awful. I still don’t understand how you call timeout only to let their QB play pitch and catch with one of the best and most physical receivers in the country.
They will not be one of the worst in the ACC you will see

Playing straight up along your front four doesn't work with todays offenses Pro or College because every QB can throw ...the key is making them uncomfortable... if our DC doesn't adapt and start using pressure to force the issue every game is going to be a shootout.
Pressure only works...if you get there before he releases the pass. Who besides Diggs has demonstrated the skill set to pressure the QB consistently, on a blitz? We blitzed during that last drive and they still completed some passes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom