FSU game view | Syracusefan.com

FSU game view

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Because of the generosity of a very special person on this board, I was able to have an up close view of the game.Thank you,thank you again. Some things I saw - teams like FSU are taking advantage of our lack of physical strength on the court. We are way too light under the basket - teams just pretzel our players underneath. FSU was so athletic , they thrive in the running game , we had trouble all night stopping their speed resulting with their relatively early penetration in the shot clock. They had success going inside out before we adjusted, but then Mann and Forrest penetrated to the foul line and easily dumped off to sprinters to the basket from the sides being guarded by our forwards worried more about 3 pointers and slow to be in position to rotate inside. Our center rotated up the lane to meet the penetration leaving them uncontested dunks and layups underneath after our comeback. Battle worked so hard in the game but it obviously took its’ toll on him later in the second half - he was exhausted from the pressing , driving and rides from FSU as he almost exclusively handled the ball. An odd observation (I specialize in these :)) I watched both teams warm up before the game and thought it was one of the first times I saw every single opponent’s player practice in their full warm ups, jackets, long pants and all. Were those Florida kids cold? Made it tougher to identify them since their warmups didn’t have names nor numbers on them.

FSU obviously regrouped and were highly motivated after their showing at UNC. The chatter and enthusiasm from their sidelines, and their defensive communication on the court, was non stop. They never shut up on the defensive end talking to each other loudly. Our centers used to call out and constantly communicate with our defense on cuts, screens etc. I haven’t seen that former level of defensive communication from SU in years now. Our ball handling against their in your face, poke and ride defensive pressure was very poor - we just couldn’t consistently escape it. The press hurt them but their depth and the gigantic hole we dug ourselves burned us out just getting back into the game. They were faster than us getting downcourt, penetrating and passing the ball, never coming that close to a shot clock violation. If any stats characterized the game it was their 25 assists to our 7 and their 29 fast break points to our 4.

Their 7’4” foreign starting center and Paschal at 7’2” were non factors in the game. FSU thought they could go ‘smaller’ and have a bigger advantage - interesting. SU’s comeback was great, superior effort was there during it, the fans were great cheering them on but you can’t spot an opponent a 21 point lead after only 7 minutes in the game and expect to win. LGO and leave it all out there in our next 8 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom