FSU vs The ACC | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

That’s workable to me. Financially speaking not sure that allows us to keep Fran if the big boys are 2x money but we shall see.

I am not anti Syracuse.
It might not but for Fran if we can get him a long term deal in 6m range i believe he will stay. He has a chance to build an east coast dynasty here and he knows it. Other than Pstate we can and i believe will be the top school. He isn't going to do that at a mid-level Big or SEC school

It might not but for Fran if we can get him a long term deal in 6m range i believe he will stay. He has a chance to build an east coast dynasty here and he knows it. Other than Pstate we can and i believe will be the top school. He isn't going to do that at a mid-level Big or SEC school
If he is who we hope he is, we won't lose him to a mid level school, it'll be a factory. Building a dynasty at an already established factory could be just as, maybe more appealing than building an east coast dynasty and his legacy would be no worse if he went that route. The opinion of Saban's success isn't any lower because Bear Bryant preceded him. It'll come down to what he values. Hopefully, he has the success that makes us have to worry about it, and hopefully he wants to stay.

I think it’s ironclad personally speaking.

But if SU was invited our opinion of exiting the ACC would change significantly
You mentioned holes in the GOR, and then say it's ironclad.

You can see my confusion, right?
1718975206258.gif

Where has FSU been invited?
Do you officially invited? If so, the answer is No One. If any other league had a public offer out to FSU. then that league could be sued easily by the ACC. But I think the BT has offered FSU if it vena get out of the GOR - you get free and we take you. I think the SEC has corn tar offered to take FSU rather than to allow FSU to leave Disney/ESPN. Thai is more about corporate warfare than conference warfare. ESPN wanted to destroy the ACC and keep all the members it sees as valuable. Fox would love to see the ASCC destroyed and hav the BT take all the members of the ACC it sees as adding value to the BT.

I personally want SU to remain in the ACC. I think that it is a good fit all around for our sports teams. As long as the ACC is in a solid third position and has a seat at the table i believe it is the best place for SU. I do think that we could compete in the Big 10 but that it would be much harder. If FSU and Clemson leave and we replace them with good revenue producing schools i think we will be fine.
So how does the ACC survive and then get stronger? That means get more TV money, which means the ACC must secure more loyal TV viewers.

I have no doubt that anybody wanting to invest in the ACC is going to say that such is close to impossible because of the ACC having too few larger state flagships and land grants and too many small schools and private schools. So can that be altered so that the ACC is better positioned?

Do you officially invited? If so, the answer is No One. If any other league had a public offer out to FSU. then that league could be sued easily by the ACC. But I think the BT has offered FSU if it vena get out of the GOR - you get free and we take you. I think the SEC has corn tar offered to take FSU rather than to allow FSU to leave Disney/ESPN. Thai is more about corporate warfare than conference warfare. ESPN wanted to destroy the ACC and keep all the members it sees as valuable. Fox would love to see the ASCC destroyed and hav the BT take all the members of the ACC it sees as adding value to the BT.
Everyone is so sure of where this is headed and I’d bet by the time it’s settled, it won’t look like what everyone thinks.

The NCAA settlement w players, decline in cable subs, even climate stuff are all wild cards.

The big boys are throwing around their junk and may be left with a shell of what they thought

So how does the ACC survive and then get stronger? That means get more TV money, which means the ACC must secure more loyal TV viewers.

I have no doubt that anybody wanting to invest in the ACC is going to say that such is close to impossible because of the ACC having too few larger state flagships and land grants and too many small schools and private schools. So can that be altered so that the ACC is better positioned?
I’m skeptical that FSU is a wanted entity.

Have you ever seen a school like Syracuse operating like a NE power in one of the largest media markets with a huge set of potential eyeballs?

That’s the bet. And instead of bogging us down with crappy calls, dumb scheduling - the ACC could actually help its NE members. Myopic NC bias is a scar on the conference.

Have you ever seen a school like Syracuse operating like a NE power in one of the largest media markets with a huge set of potential eyeballs?

That’s the bet. And instead of bogging us down with crappy calls, dumb scheduling - the ACC could actually help its NE members. Myopic NC bias is a scar on the conference.
The ACC problem has always been the same, and still is. All the power has been in the wrong hands in North Carolina.
When they started adding new schools, they should have moved the Headquarters to a major city.
This continuing of acting like a basketball conference with country folks running the league was a joke to the rest of the country.

We are not BC, nor Wake, Our mistake was our literal and almost fatal lack of strategic planning and investment. I believe this University is committed to major College sports as well as Olympic sports that they feel we can compete in. I believe it fits consistently with the academic plan of the University in relation to exposure, enrollment and empowerment initiatives. Certainly cannot leave out student experience as well. If we do not compete, this will all be moot, however if we do, which I believe we can the place is electrifying. Please remember, the key word is compete. Good day
Add tick-poor selection of coaching staff for the past (almost) quarter century.

Add tick-poor selection of coaching staff for the past (almost) quarter century.
Specifically on the recruiting end of things, many variables there as well. I trust the old 90s model, with some new spins, specifically a power running game will help. That is the hope at least

I personally want SU to remain in the ACC. I think that it is a good fit all around for our sports teams. As long as the ACC is in a solid third position and has a seat at the table i believe it is the best place for SU. I do think that we could compete in the Big 10 but that it would be much harder. If FSU and Clemson leave and we replace them with good revenue producing schools i think we will be fine.
While keeping a strong affiliation with Notre Dame, which sort of makes me want to puke, excuse me fans, however real. I trust the other land grants would not flee, who knows?

The ACC problem has always been the same, and still is. All the power has been in the wrong hands in North Carolina.
When they started adding new schools, they should have moved the Headquarters to a major city.
This continuing of acting like a basketball conference with country folks running the league was a joke to the rest of the country.
Are you really so simple as to think that things would different right now in terms of TV deal money if the ACC had moved its conference offices to NYC or Philadelphia?

Are you aware that the SEC headquarters is in Birmingham?

How would such scheduling be done? What would it look like?

In answering, keep in mind things like the numbers of D1 recruits in NY and New England compared to FL and GA as well as VA and NC. Also keep in mind the per capita numbers of hardcore CFB fans living from VA south compared to the per capita numbers of hardcore CFB fans living from eastern PA up through New England and upstate NY.

Such things are important in how you schedule league games.

How could the ACC help members in the northeast via scheduling without hurting, or at least pissing off, members from farther south and/or west?

You mentioned holes in the GOR, and then say it's ironclad.

You can see my confusion, right? View attachment 242214
i said people would find holes if SU was invited and the argument would change. That's obvious. Not sure that's a hot take.

I think it's iron clad. That doesn't mean there isn't a settlement.

In answering, keep in mind things like the numbers of D1 recruits in NY and New England compared to FL and GA as well as VA and NC. Also keep in mind the per capita numbers of hardcore CFB fans living from VA south compared to the per capita numbers of hardcore CFB fans living from eastern PA up through New England and upstate NY.

How could the ACC help members in the northeast via scheduling without hurting, or at least pissing off, members from farther south and/or west?
We routinely see schedules where we get traditional powers or NC schools coming off of byes or their tune ups. We saw Clemson/FSU at times favorable to them.

NE fans aren’t dumb - we see the home cooking and bending towards southern schools. Being afraid of ticking them off when it would help NE in bigger markets grow the sport is *what I’m talking about*

ACC powers look at the SEC and tried to follow suit. Let’s take the most powerful school in the conference (in both sports lol) and put a finger on the scale.

Syracuse is to blame for much of its own issues (HC hires, admin mistakes, donor stuff etc) but I’ve always thought the goal of a conference should be to build up its members. Especially if they are in a rich media/population zone that is largely untapped.

(Ps you know your punter didn’t make it to yard to gain on that block lol)

We routinely see schedules where we get traditional powers or NC schools coming off of byes or their tune ups. We saw Clemson/FSU at times favorable to them.

NE fans aren’t dumb - we see the home cooking and bending towards southern schools. Being afraid of ticking them off when it would help NE in bigger markets grow the sport is *what I’m talking about*

ACC powers look at the SEC and tried to follow suit. Let’s take the most powerful school in the conference (in both sports lol) and put a finger on the scale.

Syracuse is to blame for much of its own issues (HC hires, admin mistakes, donor stuff etc) but I’ve always thought the goal of a conference should be to build up its members. Especially if they are in a rich media/population zone that is largely untapped.

When I was looking at colleges in the early 90s Syracuse was as chic a football program there was in the country. We were the number 2 school in the Big East IMO in 1991-1992. WVU/BC/later Tech made runs but we were clearly the second biggest draw.

There's no reason to believe we can't help ourselves more than we have performance wise. We're long overdue to become chic and cool again. We have an outside the box coach running things.

The conference stuff will work itself out. I think FSU will leave, Clemson will leave, UNC/UVA will leave. Reasonable people on this site disagree on the when. I think it'll be earlier than others but i'm hoping i'm wrong and we get about 75mm from the schools that leave. That pays for alot of stuff on the hill

After that we'll be situated in essentially an old big east again. The money may not be what it is in the BIG/SEC but we'll be hopefully a presence. If Fran sticks around when the big boys come calling will be an issue but a good one.

And doing things the way they have sure has helped the conference.
Proof is you have alienated everyone in the conference outside of North Carolina.
And there needs to be a dramatic change, or the conference will be gone.
You had a chance to show people you were an inclusive conference, and not just
A North Carolina basketball conference, and now it's too late.
Swofford was the cog that has destroyed the conference, and there is no way any of the other schools should trust anyone from North Carolina.

That hasn't hurt the SEC. The whole conference is country folks. The answer to everything is money, specifically football money. SEC fans are rabid football fans, ACC fans are not. Placement of the headquarters doesn't affect that.

This guy is the devil's advocate no matter what. I can tell you right now, If we can reestablish NE football, truly invest in it, make it fun, with an added dimension of excellent academics we will be able to compete. And WOAD the headquarters of the ACC should be in DC, meet in the middle right? Never gonna happen, I know. It just might die in the process......

you think we'll be in the SEC or BIG? I personally think no chance it happens. I think we'll be at the kids table when the dust settles for football and a reconstituted big east for olympic/hoops. The kids table for football will be fine for us just don't see a path forward for the big 2 for us.
I agree. I see no way that Cuse lands in the SEC or the Big Ten. I think we’ll be in some mixed ACC/Big 12 regional conference to look something like this.

ACC EAST
Boston College (MA)
UConn (CT)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Louisville (KY)
Virginia Tech (VA)
Duke (NC)
Wake Forest (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Miami (FL)

Last edited:
This guy is the devil's advocate no matter what. I can tell you right now, If we can reestablish NE football, truly invest in it, make it fun, with an added dimension of excellent academics we will be able to compete. And WOAD the headquarters of the ACC should be in DC, meet in the middle right? Never gonna happen, I know. It just might die in the process...
Maryland in BT - No way ACC headquarters is in DC or Baltimore.

How can you fully establish NE CFB, meaning it must show it can draw large numbers of TV viewers, when PSU is in the BT while Pitt and Cuse are in the ACC? PSU in the ACC playing Pitt and Cuse annually, and you have a great foundation.

That hasn't hurt the SEC. The whole conference is country folks. The answer to everything is money, specifically football money. SEC fans are rabid football fans, ACC fans are not. Placement of the headquarters doesn't affect that.
Yeah and like the BE HQ, proximity to the garden, major Northeast markets did not help the basketball side of things, this potentially could have been done in football, which would have required moving the conference out of NC, that was not done. I think it would have made a difference, especially several years ago. Can we say goodbye Maryland, maybe they just saw the writing on the wall lol. ACC conf=NC driven= Analogy to Penn State=Greed/Self/Me=Eventual implosion to anything good and held Sacred= Just a reflection of current Society= It does not matter?,stay true to your own heart, God's Grace will always win and do good, just make sure think of your neighbor.

Last edited:
Maryland in BT - No way ACC headquarters is in DC or Baltimore.

How can you fully establish NE CFB, meaning it must show it can draw large numbers of TV viewers, when PSU is in the BT while Pitt and Cuse are in the ACC? PSU in the ACC playing Pitt and Cuse annually, and you have a great foundation.
I just have to stop, how old are you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom