Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Or Wake Forest...without the academic prestige. :(
Guys, please, the jokes are only fun when it's Rutgers or somebody else. The news is just too depressing. We need a depressed emoticon. The sad one just doesn't cut it.

That was a new building near a residential neighborhood.

Sitting on top of a public stream.

Agree with your previous post, I know the rumor is out there, but it doesn't hold water.

They did not announce a plan, they announced an idea. An idea that played into their campus framework. Often these ideas are publicized to generate donor interest. Maybe it just wasn't interesting enough. Maybe it's too large for an angel donor to put a name on, so their donation is better spent elsewhere. Maybe they aren't into the design enough to break up the funding (naming) opportunities. I am working on projects that have a major donor to drive things forward and I am working on projects that as the design develops, funding opportunities are identified in menu format, like "west end zone porch, $500,000, home team locker room, $100,000, media room, on air studio, coaches box," etc. you get the idea. Could be they aren't far enough along with the design to get that underway. Often times they want something fairly developed in order to sell it. I have said before that despite rumors to the contrary, the design simply wasn't that far along. Do I think they are not having the funding success they hoped for? Yes. Do I think whatever will be VE'd? Yes. Is it dead in the water? I sincerely don't think so. Will they look to the state for money? I just don't think so, at least not in the form of a large state appropriation. Hang in there, there are a lot of irons in the fire, but there is also great momentum off the field.

... Do I think they are not having the funding success they hoped for? Yes. Do I think whatever will be VE'd? Yes. Is it dead in the water? I sincerely don't think so. Will they look to the state for money? I just don't think so, at least not in the form of a large state appropriation. Hang in there, there are a lot of irons in the fire, but there is also great momentum off the field.

All that Koch Industries ad revenue hasn't gotten them over the hump?

Darn.

This is so depressing. Who makes the decision to cut back? It's not like they were proposing a $3B project initially. Don't bother with the reno if that's the case. Mahoney - who is a big SU fan - is tight with Cuomo. That's why we're getting all this state fair $$ - because it is outside city limits. Maybe wait for Miner to leave office and see if we can renew talks with the state then. Go big or go home.

Tight with me? Hmmm, fair assessment I suppose.

All I can say is this,

I am an action man, a proven winner with a plan. On the streets they call me Andy, the only thing I take from taxpayers is candy.

Is there any reason why a large name sporting goods company wouldn't be interested in such a high profile campaign? Nike and UA constantly battle, and Nike has more money than God, so they could fund the entire process and call the building Swoosh. World wide attention, in 5 years people wouldn't even remember what a carrier dome was.

Is there any reason why a large name sporting goods company wouldn't be interested in such a high profile campaign? Nike and UA constantly battle, and Nike has more money than God, so they could fund the entire process and call the building Swoosh. World wide attention, in 5 years people wouldn't even remember what a carrier dome was.

How about The Dick's Dome?:p

It has to do with "payback" on the investment.

Just how much additional revenue will they generate because their name is on an arena in Central New York?

Nike is connected to Oregon. UA to Maryland because that's where Plank went to school.

Nike needs to send all that money they stopped spending on golf clubs and Tiger commercials some place.

Nike needs to send all that money they stopped spending on golf clubs and Tiger commercials some place.

They stopped spending it because they weren't making any money doing it.

They weren't simply freeing the money up so they could spend it somewhere else with no or limited return.

Business 101.

It has to do with "payback" on the investment.

Just how much additional revenue will they generate because their name is on an arena in Central New York?

Nike is connected to Oregon. UA to Maryland because that's where Plank went to school.

Not all advertising results in an immediate and quantifiable return on investment, contrary to your belief.

And Nike, UA and Adidas are connected to several universities around the world.

Not all advertising results in an immediate and quantifiable return on investment, contrary to your belief.

And Nike, UA and Adidas are connected to several universities around the world.

Not "immediate' but eventual.

In business you can't just waste money and stay in business in even the intermediate term.

And they are connected but not at the level it would take to make a dent in this project.

I still wonder why the talk came like it was a done deal and big picture announcement would follow with work to begin in 2017. it now feels like they really dont know whats to come and at best something starts 2018 so we are looking 2020 for completion?

I dont think there is anyway anything good can start until next spring now at the earliest is there?

I heard today that the dome renovation was dead. like completely dead. anyone know more than me?

I heard today that the dome renovation was dead. like completely dead. anyone know more than me?
I will say for certain that's impossible. The roof of the dome needs to be replaced and the structure that currently exists is ancient technology. The scope of the project may change, but one way or another the dome will be upgraded in the next few years

I will say for certain that's impossible. The roof of the dome needs to be replaced and the structure that currently exists is ancient technology. The scope of the project may change, but one way or another the dome will be upgraded in the next few years

Technically they can still go the cheap route and replace the roof with the same material at a cost of $25 million (2014 estimate. I'm sure that cost will go up, but still a lot less than $250 million). This also says that the life of the current roof is good until 2024, so there's nothing imminent, structurally speaking.

Abandon or renovate Carrier Dome? Two years to decide, chancellor says

Syracuse still mulling options for Carrier Dome; Board of Trustees will meet next week

Seriously what a buzzkill after a great day of hoops.

Technically they can still go the cheap route and replace the roof with the same material at a cost of $25 million (2014 estimate. I'm sure that cost will go up, but still a lot less than $250 million). This also says that the life of the current roof is good until 2024, so there's nothing imminent, structurally speaking.

Abandon or renovate Carrier Dome? Two years to decide, chancellor says

Syracuse still mulling options for Carrier Dome; Board of Trustees will meet next week
Agreed, except hidden in those costs are additional insurance, maintenance, and risk based fees, that include harnessing workers into the roof during snow storms, to clear it off. Something Sala has said to me many times is a huge issue. I think the failing of the roof in MN, sold them on not replacing the current structure. Now they could certainly cheap out and put a hard top in the most basic way on top, but given what was presented about how risky it was to be the only air supported roof left in the world, and the difficulty maintaining it, seems like a non-decision. Similar in many ways to the I-81 talk. Many options, but only a few realistic ones.

I think the big issue is whether they can do it without losing games, the reality may be the only feasible way to get it done is to go on the road for a season. the only sport that really takes a hit is mens bball but they would survive too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom