Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

In September it was stated that an updated campus framework would be announced in January.

There is that rumor floating around also. Su is waiting on miner to be gone so a new mayor can work with Mahoney on either the full renovation or a new stadium off campus.
Sort of like the hostages being released the day after Carter left office. I'm ok with that if it just means we have to wait a few more months. This is the last year of her term I believe. If you've ever met or attempted to conduct business with her in good faith, you can probably see why she's not a very likeable person... and why it might be tempting to just wait it out. She can't hide behind 1000 wins or any other notable accomplishments.

I can wait another year or two... or maybe even a little longer than that... if that's what it takes to do this right. Let's just hope Andy is still governor at that point or else Mahoney's influence will be wasted.

I understand how this is a complicated business, community, political environment they are working within to get something like a big dome renovation. My question is: why did they make all the announcement hubbub over the summer? Was it a trial balloon to convince the governor there wouldn't be riots in the streets if tax money got tabbed for part of it? If not that, then what? Because it appears that it was about 3 or 4 years premature based on everything we've seen. And as JB says anything premature is not good.

The city would have a ton to do with it, the city was the reason why permits took so long for the IPF.
You are 100% correct. I attended one of the IPF meetings and there was a discussion about the university having to submit over 100 permits prior to construction and the fact the IPF cannot be used for public events like pre game football tailgate parties due to the city.

You are 100% correct. I attended one of the IPF meetings and there was a discussion about the university having to submit over 100 permits prior to construction and the fact the IPF cannot be used for public events like pre game football tailgate parties due to the city.

How anyone can support government in it's current form is beyond me. 100 permits, even 50 is out right ridiculous and nothing but a power and money play.

CuseLegacy said:
822080172274782209 Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Wednesday that a Campus Facilities Advisory Board will be formed, partly because of the campus-wide controversy that the $6 million University Place promenade caused last spring and during the summer. The board, announced at the first University Senate meeting of the semester, will assess all academic and non-academic investments within the Campus Framework plan. The meeting also included a discussion on the university’s position on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy. Wheatly will co-chair the board with Vice President and Chief Campus Facilities Officer Pete Sala. Professor Catheryn Newton, special adviser to the chancellor and provost for faculty engagement, will serve as the lead faculty adviser to the board. Other board members will be announced this week. “This board will be charged with developing best practices for all the campus engagement, decision-making and communication in regards to renovation, new construction and best use of facilities,” Wheatly said. Wheatly said the new committee was created in response to the Senate and its requests for more transparency and communication about the infrastructure on campus, specifically renovations. She said the administration can do a better job at collaborating with the rest of campus, and that the board will hopefully create “a flow of information so we get broader input on some of our decisions” regarding facility renovations.

Translation. Lack of $$$ for everything in phase one. Re-prioritize and cut back. IMO the number one priority will be the veterans complex.

its over nothing will get done. what will be really telling is when babers is "contacted" about a new hc job. i am disappointed in the chancellor (on the face of this)---nail in the coffin. ivy league wannabe bs. is there no fed. money for the veterans complex??? i do emphatically agree with u if its matter of getting the vet complex done, then i agree they are a priority, providing it is actually functional and really helps veterans not just self serving academic bs.

its over nothing will get done. what will be really telling is when babers is "contacted" about a new hc job. i am disappointed in the chancellor (on the face of this)---nail in the coffin. ivy league wannabe bs. is there no fed. money for the veterans complex??? i do emphatically agree with u if its matter of getting the vet complex done, then i agree they are a priority, providing it is actually functional and really helps veterans not just self serving academic bs.

If Babers leaves b/c the dome isn't refurbished so be it. Do we honestly believe he's going to be around for the entire rehab of the Dome anyway. i always saw that project happening in the 2020s. If Babers is still here then i'll be pleasantly surprised. I see him leaving once we get that one 10 win season anyway.

The only real refurb the Dome needs is to install over 45k people on Saturdays there. Dino can help w that specific build out.

He has already been contacted tipp, you are too late on that.

I think the first indication SU is going forward with the renovation is when we start hearing recruits talking about seeing the plans and having it all explained to them.

If Babers leaves b/c the dome isn't refurbished so be it. Do we honestly believe he's going to be around for the entire rehab of the Dome anyway. i always saw that project happening in the 2020s. If Babers is still here then i'll be pleasantly surprised. I see him leaving once we get that one 10 win season anyway.

The only real refurb the Dome needs is to install over 45k people on Saturdays there. Dino can help w that specific build out.
The useful life of the roof is up in a few years, theyou don't have a choice but to replace it, in one way or another. Just replacing it in its current for will run something like 30 mil.

Huge egg on their faces if that happens after announcing a 200 million refurbishment.

Translation. Lack of $$$ for everything in phase one. Re-prioritize and cut back. IMO the number one priority will be the veterans complex.
Isn't the veterans complex and the Military and Family Affairs program flush with cash? Makes sense to move the facility with funding to the top of the list. The fact that the cash for athletic improvements doesn't seem to be close to being there ....a little disconcerting in today's cash flow game.

I know nothing about SU's fundraising structure, but I am familiar with the industry and would like to throw in my speculative guess as to why funding is lacking. At many higher-ed institutions, especially large ones with multiple schools and fundraising priorities, gift officers for the various schools are incredibly protective of their fundraising prospects. They manage the relationship because the prospect is a graduate of their school, and therefore they get to dictate what project they want to steer the donor to.

It gets tricky with athletics prospects, because they are either non-athletes, making it harder to identify their athletic interest, or, having been a former student-athlete at SU, they are also graduates of a certain program at the school, making them targets to be donors to their respective program/school.

Now, this could mostly be cured with a directive from the top (be it the Chancellor or the Chief Advancement Officer) that Athletics fundraising takes priority. The problem (not really a problem, but a problem as it relates to Athletics fundraising) with that is that is appears the Chancellor's top goal is to raise the school's academic profile back to the level it was at before, and beyond. Sure, some of this can be accomplished through reorganization, refocus and new hires, but it also takes $$$.

SU has a successful alumni base, but, being a smallish private school, the scope of wealthy alumni needed to hit a $200 million+ fundraising goal is limited. Couple that with the school having other fundraising priorities on top of renovating the Dome, and I think you can see why this has been a struggle.

What becomes of the ACC money being brought in? I have no idea how universities or athletic departments spend their money, but it seems like the ACC move added quite a bit of cash flow into the university that wasn't there before. Is that money all earmarked already and if so, on what? If they increased their income by $10M per year, which I think is ballpark, then a $200M dome reno doesn't seem that crazy. Lets say you raise $5M from donors, get $20M from government in some form or other, get a little more scratch for the naming (conservatively $5M) and you finance the remaining $170M, that would be reasonable over a 20-25 year period or so given the cash surplus that must exist. Unless my numbers are completely insane, the renovation could be financed over a reasonable period without ever touching university funds and while funding all athletics programs at Big East levels.

What becomes of the ACC money being brought in? I have no idea how universities or athletic departments spend their money, but it seems like the ACC move added quite a bit of cash flow into the university that wasn't there before. Is that money all earmarked already and if so, on what? If they increased their income by $10M per year, which I think is ballpark, then a $200M dome reno doesn't seem that crazy. Lets say you raise $5M from donors, get $20M from government in some form or other, get a little more scratch for the naming (conservatively $5M) and you finance the remaining $170M, that would be reasonable over a 20-25 year period or so given the cash surplus that must exist. Unless my numbers are completely insane, the renovation could be financed over a reasonable period without ever touching university funds and while funding all athletics programs at Big East levels.

Good point. $24 million payout from the ACC for the 2014 fiscal year, versus $11.9 million payout from the Big East in our last year there. So their income increased by even more than $10 million per year.

ACC revenue increases $100 million over last year; Syracuse receives $24 million

I know nothing about SU's fundraising structure, but I am familiar with the industry and would like to throw in my speculative guess as to why funding is lacking. At many higher-ed institutions, especially large ones with multiple schools and fundraising priorities, gift officers for the various schools are incredibly protective of their fundraising prospects. They manage the relationship because the prospect is a graduate of their school, and therefore they get to dictate what project they want to steer the donor to.

It gets tricky with athletics prospects, because they are either non-athletes, making it harder to identify their athletic interest, or, having been a former student-athlete at SU, they are also graduates of a certain program at the school, making them targets to be donors to their respective program/school.

Now, this could mostly be cured with a directive from the top (be it the Chancellor or the Chief Advancement Officer) that Athletics fundraising takes priority. The problem (not really a problem, but a problem as it relates to Athletics fundraising) with that is that is appears the Chancellor's top goal is to raise the school's academic profile back to the level it was at before, and beyond. Sure, some of this can be accomplished through reorganization, refocus and new hires, but it also takes $$$.

SU has a successful alumni base, but, being a smallish private school, the scope of wealthy alumni needed to hit a $200 million+ fundraising goal is limited. Couple that with the school having other fundraising priorities on top of renovating the Dome, and I think you can see why this has been a struggle.

Although, as you mention, you're not familiar with SU's structure, your knowledge of the industry makes it probable that points you touched on are accurate, at least to some extent.

That said, why come out publicly as they did last May and announce such an aggressive plan to modernize/renovate the dome? The powers that be had to know, again based upon things you eluded to, that fundraising wasn't going to be a piece of cake. Additionally, it was just this past September that Sala mentioned/confirmed that the renovated dome was getting AC. He had also commented on other aspects, LED lighting, etc.

I wonder if the new committee the school announced this week in regards to new facilities and/or renovations applies to the dome and/or Archbold? My understanding was that the board met last year and already approved what was placed in front of them relative to the reported $250M dome and Archbold renovations. Therefore, I'm wondering if this new committee appertains to same, but more so, moving forward, on projects, etc. that haven't already been drawn up/unannounced yet?

Ultimately, it'll come down to the university's commitment. If it wants to be a player in the ACC, and henceforth nationally, it will need to invest/reinvest substantially into its related infrastructure. Specifically, interest rate related, there's really never been a better time.

Last edited:
How anyone can support government in it's current form is beyond me. 100 permits, even 50 is out right ridiculous and nothing but a power and money play.
I thought about that...our board's IPF fundraiser basically went to purchase most of those 100 permits from Queen Steph.

I thought about that...our board's IPF fundraiser basically went to purchase most of those 100 permits from Queen Steph.
I heard it was 1,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom