Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

and at the same time we have a tent on the quad for tailgating running 8-10 laptops and TVs and worth 25K trying to run in wireless mode that buffered every 20 secs or pixelated so that pictures were like being under water instead of running 1 Ethernet switch line and some cables to Roku Tvs that would have cost 1-2K and never buffered and would have been bigger screens and better picture?

do they have a tech group?

Some would say its not much different than the pool, b-ball court, climbing wall etc that are provided in the center.
I know its just a rounding error on the budget for this kind of project, just not my thing, figured everyone already bought a gaming computer with their student loans. I'd have been all in on that climbing wall...

I was shocked when a guy I know recently told me colleges are Offering scholarships for professional esports players. He said his son is ranked highly in some game and has gotten offers. Granted, they’re lower ranked schools but he Indicated higher ranked schools will eventually do it too.

I was shocked when a guy I know recently told me colleges are Offering scholarships for professional esports players. He said his son is ranked highly in some game and has gotten offers. Granted, they’re lower ranked schools but he Indicated higher ranked schools will eventually do it too.

Don’t some schools offer courses or even degrees in gaming design or something like it?

The center isn’t just a gymnasium, it’s health and wellness. And others would also say mental wellness is important as is relaxation.

Eh, some college students rationalize binge-drinking as a wellness/relaxation activity too, but most of us come to recognize it isn't. School-funded video games in a gym/health/wellness facility seems to me to be embracing an activity that isn't constructive, no matter how enthusiastic some of its participants are about it.

:vomit:

I'm sure every generation has something that their parents look at as totally ludicrous. But then over time it becomes a huge. I would imagine a lot of the same things were said about computers.

Eh, some college students rationalize binge-drinking as a wellness/relaxation activity too, but most of us come to recognize it isn't. School-funded video games in a gym/health/wellness facility seems to me to be embracing an activity that isn't constructive, no matter how enthusiastic some of its participants are about it.
I bet you really must hate the dog therapy room then (full disclosure - my wife, as a fellow alum, was incredibly jealous they had this and wanted to visit it).

Times change -- kids are going to play the games either way and the reality is, more and more schools are doing clubs or actual esports teams. I'd rather kids playing together than alone in a room -- at least it encourages them to walk there? I know, low bar...

I bet you really must hate the dog therapy room then (full disclosure - my wife, as a fellow alum, was incredibly jealous they had this and wanted to visit it).

Times change -- kids are going to play the games either way and the reality is, more and more schools are doing clubs or actual esports teams. I'd rather kids playing together than alone in a room -- at least it encourages them to walk there? I know, low bar...

Funny, my wife got a tour a while back and was raving about this dog room. (The good kind of raving, not my kind of raving.) I'd totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Yeah, not really my kind of scene, you're right. But that's a good silver lining, I guess - at least they're in public rather than anti-social in some dark apartment?

Funny, my wife got a tour a while back and was raving about this dog room. (The good kind of raving, not my kind of raving.) I'd totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Yeah, not really my kind of scene, you're right. But that's a good silver lining, I guess - at least they're in public rather than anti-social in some dark apartment?
thats the point. they get together and socialize and meet other people with common interests. helps promote social well-being

thats the point. they get together and socialize and meet other people with common interests. helps promote social well-being
Promoting social welfare sounds good. But by playing (not designing) video games? They can do that in their rooms or on their phones. Offering it in a student center displaces the main benefit of a facility like that - social interaction. If they're not going to communicate with each other, what's the point of a central meeting place? It's a University - not a community rec center. Just my .02.

Last edited:

I think that's generally a good thing. Still kind of weird from a programming perspective, though - that's what student unions traditionally are for: non-athletic social affinity groups.

With Schine under renovation, one could have expected this amenity to be incorporated there.

Oh, you mean this kind of socializing promoting well-being that's typical of today's youth with common interests. ;):)

1568816807932.png

Yep
Very sad that Syracuse was not listed here. We have to do better. On the positive side, we are up to 15 tubas, which is a real game changer.

hope i'm not hijacking here

I can't get over the number of new apartment buildings at SU. is enrollment at 90,000? where the hell are all the people coming from to fill these places and all the dumps people my age used to live in?

i spent all day at tailgate baffled about it

Oh, you mean this kind of socializing promoting well-being that's typical of today's youth with common interests. ;):)
Its this kind of thinking that corrupts the perception of this. I am an avid gamer and when with other gamers we dont just comminicate through phones and games. playing games is only part of the benefits. I met many of my friends today from playing video games. We have done beach trips and roadtrips many times due to the ability to gather and meet local gamers.

I’ll embarrass any of you in Smash Bros.

Its this kind of thinking that corrupts the perception of this. I am an avid gamer and when with other gamers we dont just comminicate through phones and games. playing games is only part of the benefits. I met many of my friends today from playing video games. We have done beach trips and roadtrips many times due to the ability to gather and meet local gamers.

Nice. Does your beach trips/road trips include anytime on the beach, in the water, oral discussion, etc? ;):)

I realize a lot of the older crowd want kids to go out and play instead of playing video games, but most studies have proven it helps improve critical thinking and problem solving...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom