Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 129 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I video game. I completely see some of the benefits of casual gaming. Without a doubt.

HOWEVER, when video gaming gets out of moderation ...say more than 1.5 hours a day, it's not good. And it's super common for kids to spend 6 hours a day or more gaming ...even during a school week. That is NOT good for an up and coming young adult--socially, emotionally, or physically.

The addictive nature of gaming is real. And kids are glad to waste away their lives on front of a screen. Some might even carry full time jobs early in life, but they are living for game time after punch out. This no doubt leads to feelings of worthlessness, social anxiety, lack of confidence (which is due to lack of productivity), and fear of the future. So what do they do? They game to get away from dealing with those feelings.

Video gaming can easily become vicious and addictive, and any study that fails to report this is lacking in honesty and integrity
I'd even say 1-1.5 hours/day is pushing it. I grew up with the Atari 2600 and then in my teenage years the SNES became the greatest thing ever. It was also a bonding activity with my brothers, playing Madden, Tecmo Bowl, etc. It was addictive, but nothing like today's temptations.

The difference now is the onslaught of the iphone, social media and online gaming, fortnite, etc. We didn't have those distractions as kids. And those are much bigger distractions - they just pound you over the head with instant gratification. The online aspect means that you'll always be able to connect with someone or something 24/7. Once a kid has an iphone they can access these things whenever they want. It's scary what our kids are growing up into. I truly hope flip phones are still around in 10+ years because that would be the first phone my kids get when they learn to drive.

I video game. I completely see some of the benefits of casual gaming. Without a doubt.

HOWEVER, when video gaming gets out of moderation ...

I'm pretty anti-video game. And I agree with you. But I'd like to add one thing.

When anything (not just gaming) gets out of moderation it's not good. Moderation = good.

I'd even say 1-1.5 hours/day is pushing it. ...

Agree. Kids sleep a ton (and they should), they're in school or preparing to go to school for eight hours a day, presumably they need to do homework for at least an hour, and hopefully they eat dinner with their family for 30-45 minutes. That leaves about four hours left over. Hopefully for most of that time they're playing an after-school sport and socializing with friends and finding a few minutes to read a book (unless they're Kemba Walker).

Agree. Kids sleep a ton (and they should), they're in school or preparing to go to school for eight hours a day, presumably they need to do homework for at least an hour, and hopefully they eat dinner with their family for 30-45 minutes. That leaves about four hours left over. Hopefully for most of that time they're playing an after-school sport and socializing with friends and finding a few minutes to read a book (unless they're Kemba Walker).
We came to the same conclusions. Sleep is critical. And for school-age kids - what little leisure time they have is best spent away from electronic devices: outside or with simple toys (plain cardboard boxes are amazing). If interested I'll fill you in this weekend in on an experiment we did with TV when our kids were young.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if there is a parallel to the way that radio stations have managed over the air commercial sponsors when they begin simulcasting on digital platforms. Hear me out...

In many cases, there are very long, in some cases multi-year contracts in place with advertisers. But the deals were based on the over the air audience, not the additional thousands of ears that will hear the content digitally, or on TV broadcasts. So radio stations do all sorts of creative things to "bump around" those over the air spots (watch Boomer and Carton on CBS Sports Net in the AM to see a station that does this a LOT). They may play music, they may cut away to different spots all together, they may just dump to a "we'll be back" graphic...Now, if these sponsors want to kick in more $, they'll stop "blocking" them...but if they dont, and the platform moves more and more to digital, eventually they will just fade away.

In this case, SU may be arguing that Carrier paid to have their name on the building but not around all the ancillary elements that could not even have been conceptualized during the original deal.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is a parallel to the way that radio stations have managed over the air commercial sponsors when they begin simulcasting on digital platforms. Hear me out...

In many cases, there are very long, in some cases multi-year contracts in place with advertisers. But the deals were based on the over the air audience, not the additional thousands of ears that will hear the content digitally, or on TV broadcasts. So radio stations do all sorts of creative things to "bump around" those over the air spots (watch Boomer and Carton on CBS Sports Net in the AM to see a station that does this a LOT). They may play music, they may cut away to different spots all together, they may just dump to a "we'll be back" graphic...Now, if these sponsors want to kick in more $, they'll stop "blocking" them...but if they dont, and the platform moves more and more to digital, eventually they will just fade away.

In this case, SU may be arguing that Carrier paid to have their name on the building but not around all the ancillary elements that could not even have been conceptualized during the original deal.
I think one of the biggest incentives to expanding the concourses is that it truly becomes a new building at that point with the expanded footprint. Seems like it would pay for itself over time.

not sure what is hideous about it. if this was day one of new building what would people think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom