Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 128 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I realize a lot of the older crowd want kids to go out and play instead of playing video games, but most studies have proven it helps improve critical thinking and problem solving...
At the expense of social and life skills, sure.

Worst thing parents can do is give young kids an Ipad, Iphone, etc. Why have kids if you're just going to hire an electronic babysitter to do your job?

Well they aren’t being hired as sales people, they are technical people.
omg. life and social skills apply to everyone regardless of profession. the world doesn't begin and end inside a cubicle. most engineering jobs I know require being able to communicate. good luck climbing the pay scale if you don't know how to talk and carry on conversations with peers and customers. one of the things we look for interviews is whether this kid is socially awkward or has it together.

i seriously wonder how much the dating scene has changed in just the last 15 years. do people even date anymore or do they just flirt over texting.

omg. life and social skills apply to everyone regardless of profession. the world doesn't begin and end inside a cubicle. most engineering jobs I know require being able to communicate. good luck climbing the pay scale if you don't know how to talk and carry on conversations with peers and customers.

Some people I know just crunch numbers and they are good at it. I also know some people who can’t crunch any numbers and need every bit of information spoon fed to them. I’m not sure they are any better than the first group of people. In fact they actually make me more angry at work

A lot of people can play video games and still have social skills. You act like people playing video games is a crime. They’ve been around since the 80’s.

The sound system comes in 2020, yes? I hope they're on time with that, because I could barely hear Veley over the PA system Saturday.

Some people I know just crunch numbers and they are good at it. I also know some people who can’t crunch any numbers and need every bit of information spoon fed to them. I’m not sure they are any better than the first group of people. In fact they actually make me more angry at work

A lot of people can play video games and still have social skills. You act like people playing video games is a crime. They’ve been around since the 80’s.
i was referring more to the smart phone addiction and how today's kids would rather do everything through their social media instead of have "normal" conversations.

I bet you really must hate the dog therapy room then (full disclosure - my wife, as a fellow alum, was incredibly jealous they had this and wanted to visit it).

Times change -- kids are going to play the games either way and the reality is, more and more schools are doing clubs or actual esports teams. I'd rather kids playing together than alone in a room -- at least it encourages them to walk there? I know, low bar...

I actually do. This generation of student and teens coming up need to be coddled in a way I think was imaginable. Everyone is triggered and bothered by something that sets off their anxiety.

i was referring more to the smart phone addiction and how today's kids would rather do everything through their social media instead of have "normal" conversations.

That’s a total different conversation.

By not having this area you would basically tell anyone who games to play by themselves. Having those systems set up give those people a place to meet up and socialize. if you want to be a luddite and assume people wont socialize in person here and outside because of it then i cant help you

There is definitely a feeling of generational perspective around what people think gaming is today. For those of you who enjoyed a nice round of Telepong with your friend or brother I have news for you, it is a vastly new experience. If you have not experienced it, seen it or spoken with the men and women who operate within it, your perspective will continue to be dated and honestly uninformed. To calibrate you corporations who contract LMS solutions and services are actually as a part of training delivery are looking at video game style formats as one medium for the delivery of training. That is how far gaming has come in our society. Sony and Microsoft have built sophisticated gaming platforms that allow for real time, PVP interactions with both visual and audio interactions that allows groups of friends to interact. What is the benefit? I will give you a personal example. When my son is at his mom's house, he and I can meet in a video game of his choice and spend time together. His and my current preference is Siege. From a life balance standpoint my son was also on Varsity lacrosse his first year of high school in 2018, has a girlfriend and is a double black stripe at Tae Kwan do. Video games are fun, fine for society and promote many good things. Another positive? My son as an early teen knows more about coding, solid state drives, CPU's and technology than I will likely ever know. He is building his own gaming computer. I can barely fix my Wifi and when I can't figure it out guess who does? Yep...my gamer son. So let's not try to judge to much if you don't have allot of information to go by. Go Cuse!

This thread has taken an interesting direction. My only two cents that I'll throw into the gaming debate: as with most things, moderation is key. I've played video games most of my life (including now at 34 years old), but it's never consumed me. Just another form of entertainment.

I realize a lot of the older crowd want kids to go out and play instead of playing video games, but most studies have proven it helps improve critical thinking and problem solving...

I hope they use those skills to solve problems in between the games. ;)

Well they aren’t being hired as sales people, they are technical people.

They still have to exist successfully in the world with other people. There is a reason young people struggle to deal with real world problems.

There is definitely a feeling of generational perspective around what people think gaming is today. For those of you who enjoyed a nice round of Telepong with your friend or brother I have news for you, it is a vastly new experience. If you have not experienced it, seen it or spoken with the men and women who operate within it, your perspective will continue to be dated and honestly uninformed. To calibrate you corporations who contract LMS solutions and services are actually as a part of training delivery are looking at video game style formats as one medium for the delivery of training. That is how far gaming has come in our society. Sony and Microsoft have built sophisticated gaming platforms that allow for real time, PVP interactions with both visual and audio interactions that allows groups of friends to interact. What is the benefit? I will give you a personal example. When my son is at his mom's house, he and I can meet in a video game of his choice and spend time together. His and my current preference is Siege. From a life balance standpoint my son was also on Varsity lacrosse his first year of high school in 2018, has a girlfriend and is a double black stripe at Tae Kwan do. Video games are fun, fine for society and promote many good things. Another positive? My son as an early teen knows more about coding, solid state drives, CPU's and technology than I will likely ever know. He is building his own gaming computer. I can barely fix my Wifi and when I can't figure it out guess who does? Yep...my gamer son. So let's not try to judge to much if you don't have allot of information to go by. Go Cuse!

Your son sounds remarkable. That being said, he also sounds far from typical. I'm basing that on children (and grandchildren) of people my age that I know well.

Your son sounds remarkable. That being said, he also sounds far from typical. I'm basing that on children (and grandchildren) of people my age that I know well.
Thanks Alpha, indeed I am very proud of him. My intention was not to do the proud dad thing though but to just illustrate in that a) if you have not circulated in that world you will be surprised how much gaming/technology has evolved, 2) that there are very much positive social aspects to today's gaming environment, 3) that in many cases it can lead to positive outcomes(learning and becoming proficient at a number of things)and lastly just because you game, does not mean you fit only a certain profile whatever you(don't mean you directly Alpha but more the "collective/everyone " you think that profile is.
Good luck to the kids and grand kids you referred to Alpha. I am sure they are surrounded by good people and the good thing is they have plenty of time to learn and grow.
Cheers Alpha

Last edited:
We're way off campus development, but I'd be interested to see support for this post. In education and psychology, play theory has been studied extensively. Generally, simple toys are best, so that the child is creating instead of being entertained by a software developer. Some educational apps are excellent for short term use. But for very young children (primary level and earlier) - going outside or using legos or blocks beats a TV or a tablet every time.

For teens and young adults, the studies I've seen do not demonstrate video-game-specific cognitive benefits. Occasional use probably does not have much of an impact. However, it is common for young people to be online 6-8 hours per day and a significant percentage is online 24/7. Screen time at these levels is associated with significant health and behavioral impacts. Specifically, in teens and young adults there are concerns about impulsivity, addiction (compulsive use of social media), and elevated rates of depression. Studies have also shown negative behavioral effects from gaming (de-prioritization, isolation, anxiety), the worst being first-person shooter scenarios (aggression, desensitization, etc).

There's a $300M NIH study going on right now in this area. The findings are not ready and it would be premature to speculate. But I wouldn't be too confident about a link between gaming and improvements to "critical thinking".

Last edited:
I video game. I completely see some of the benefits of casual gaming. Without a doubt.

HOWEVER, when video gaming gets out of moderation ...say more than 1.5 hours a day, it's not good. And it's super common for kids to spend 6 hours a day or more gaming ...even during a school week. That is NOT good for an up and coming young adult--socially, emotionally, or physically.

The addictive nature of gaming is real. And kids are glad to waste away their lives on front of a screen. Some might even carry full time jobs early in life, but they are living for game time after punch out. This no doubt leads to feelings of worthlessness, social anxiety, lack of confidence (which is due to lack of productivity), and fear of the future. So what do they do? They game to get away from dealing with those feelings.

Video gaming can easily become vicious and addictive, and any study that fails to report this is lacking in honesty and integrity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom