Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 147 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Back when I worked there, Gary Bugenhagen was the owner. For those who don't remember the name, Bugenhagen was an offensive lineman for SU in the 1960s on the Floyd Little / Larry Csonka teams. He played in the NFL for a few years, for the Bills and the Patriots.

Anyway, he told us when recruits were in the house, and he made point of coming in the back when he was hosting someone to tell us that anything was free "except the steaks - those they gotta pay for!". LOL

For "pub grub", we were pretty proud of the quality of the food we put out. I would say that we were better than Faegan's, in our hey day. We had great french onion soup. Our cook started the broth in the morning, and it cooked all day long. The salads were served in these big wooden bowls, and they taught us to cut the ham, turkey & swiss for the chef's salads in one inch cubes, not just slices of lunchmeat. Those are big pieces of meat and cheese, in case you don't realize. Our Reubens were done under the grill on outstanding pumpernickel and were THE BEST.

I learned to really be a short order cook working there. Previously, I had cooked in the dining halls in college for work study. I liked that a LOT better than working in the library. Cooking in dining halls is little pressure, as you are making 20-40 portions of food at the same time. It's industrial cooking in a big kitchen with all the tools.

Sutter's taught me how to make meals quickly and plate them well, or else a good waitress would give you the "what for". From there, I went to Dominick's, and learned how to cook seafood properly. Somebody else was the Sauce Boss, and frankly, I like a lot more garlic in my marinara than they use. But, honestly, they used to be considered much better, 40 years ago, than they are considered today for the quality of the food. The older folks can vouch for me on this!

And then I cooked at Kirby's, which may have been called Mr. Steak back then. So that is my history as a cook. I cooked on dates for a lot of girls in college and as a young man. It's an inexpensive night out, shows real effort to please your date, buy a nice bottle of wine, and it's a much shorter walk to the bedroom.
Wow, does this bring back memories. Sutters was our go to place before and after the game. The French onion soup was the best! Food was excellent. Miss that place. Why did it close, can’t remember?

Last edited:
Wow, does this bring back memories. Sutters was our go to place before and after the game. The French onion soup was the best! Food was excellent. Miss that place. Why did it close, can’t remember?

I would guess that he sold it and cashed out.

I can't quite place the location, but it seems pretty close to where the vale of Onondaga meets the eastern sky.
I would guess front porch of Psi Upsilon house or just to the left looking at campus. That is Lyman in the foreground followed by Smith, Hall of Languages, Maxwell and Crouse in the distance. Great picture.

I would guess front porch of Psi Upsilon house or just to the left looking at campus. That is Lyman in the foreground followed by Smith, Hall of Languages, Maxwell and Crouse in the distance. Great picture.
Doh!

Thought this story would be good to talk about. Haven't seen any posts on it, though I might have missed them.

Kind of surprised TPA rejected the initial proposal.

It is a good thing, right? Guessing SU is thinking a healthy, safe, vibrant park (Thornden has so much wasted potential) next to the campus is good for the quality of life for students living nearby.

Is TPA worried SU is going to annex the park? I would think they would welcome help. I haven't spent a lot of time there recently but every time I go past it, it looks like it has decayed a bit more than the last time. It really needs an infusion of money, time and effort to get back on track.

From looking at the TPA web site, I don't see much activity. The camps look nice.

Thought this story would be good to talk about. Haven't seen any posts on it, though I might have missed them.

It is a good thing, right? Guessing SU is thinking a healthy, safe, vibrant park (Thornden has so much wasted potential) next to the campus is good for the quality of life for students living nearby.

Is TPA worried SU is going to annex the park? I would think they would welcome help. I haven't spent a lot of time there recently but every time I go past it, it looks like it has decayed a bit more than the last time. It really needs an infusion of money, time and effort to get back on track.

From looking at the TPA web site, I don't see much activity. The camps look nice.

Yeah I think their issue is that the agreement almost made it seem like SU would be able to make changes to the park without their input/consent. They aren't against the agreement in principle, they just have issues with the language in it.

Yeah I think their issue is that the agreement almost made it seem like SU would be able to make changes to the park without their input/consent. They aren't against the agreement in principle, they just have issues with the language in it.
I hope a good working relationship can be established and the university, city and TPA can work together to make improvements to the park. It is sad what it has become. So much potential...

I hope a good working relationship can be established and the university, city and TPA can work together to make improvements to the park. It is sad what it has become. So much potential...

Yeah, it's a shame to have it be such a dump now, when it could be a lovely green space right next to campus.
Which would benefit not just students, but all people in and around that area.

FWIW, Thornden's in better shape now than it has been in decades. The volunteers have managed a number of grants for capital improvements, and the Lily Pond, Herb Garden, and Rose Garden are exclusively volunteer-maintained.

Among other things, SU's exploring the possibility of clearing invasives due west of the basketball courts and conducting unspecified maintenance to the old brick sidewalks in a portion of the park. Given their own recent maintenance track record (along with their shaky support of park preservation efforts in the past), there was bound to be some pushback.

FWIW, Thornden's in better shape now than it has been in decades. The volunteers have managed a number of grants for capital improvements, and the Lily Pond, Herb Garden, and Rose Garden are exclusively volunteer-maintained.

Among other things, SU's exploring the possibility of clearing invasives due west of the basketball courts and conducting unspecified maintenance to the old brick sidewalks in a portion of the park. Given their own recent maintenance track record (along with their shaky support of park preservation efforts in the past), there was bound to be some pushback.

I was going to say that I would not classify Thornden as a "dump." Does it need some work? Yeah for sure. And I know that it's not as grand as it once was, but it's still a decent city park.

Big fight that started at Sutters back in early January 1993, before students were back on campus from winter break (was my sophomore year). Fight was Sutters employees and some basketball players. Ended with Mike Edwards smashing the bar manager's window with a hammer.

And that was that. Sutters reputation for being the easiest bar for an underage underclassman/woman to get a drink didn't help. Just needed a student ID.

It's closing made me really sad. Because of that whole easiest bar to get a drink thing.

I wasn’t mistaken. There was a gift from a donor:
I’m going to quote myself to get this bumped because I feel like there should be a mention that this project is tabled due to the pandemic delays… or they found a different use of the donor’s generous gift.

And that was that. Sutters reputation for being the easiest bar for an underage underclassman/woman to get a drink didn't help. Just needed a student ID.

It's closing made me really sad. Because of that whole easiest bar to get a drink thing.
Local HS youth could also get in there with the flimsiest of fake ID's

I think the concern here is that of "ceding control" of areas of the park to the university. The way the agreement was worded, I understand, made it ambiguous just how much control the university could asset. Could it take control / ownership of that portion of the park? Could it develop that part of the park without any say by the TPA / City / Neighbors?

Lots of poorly drafted contracts by unqualified attorneys is how this happens.

SUNY should take it over and let the stumpies work on it.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

I’m going to quote myself to get this bumped because I feel like there should be a mention that this project is tabled due to the pandemic delays… or they found a different use of the donor’s generous gift.

24 hours later after your ensuing bump and still no responses. Apparently, even those seemingly in the know here haven't the faintest relative to the linked article and status.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom