Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 146 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I know the guy who owns Chuck's. When I talked to him in June he was saying the deal had died. My guess he had just gotten wind of the negotiations with SU.

Bummer, wonder if they might try for another spot elsewhere

This is the first I have read about SU plans to establish housing for retirees on South Campus. This is something many other colleges have been doing, with some success.

I think it is a great idea. There is a significant group of seniors that love their school and want to be closer to it once they have stopped working. I bet this is very popular at Syracuse.

This is the first I have read about SU plans to establish housing for retirees on South Campus. This is something many other colleges have been doing, with some success.

I think it is a great idea. There is a significant group of seniors that love their school and want to be closer to it once they have stopped working. I bet this is very popular at Syracuse.

Agreed.

He said he was looking, but IMO it will be hard to recreate the atmosphere if its not in the Marshall St. area. And 8000+ SF of real estate is hard to find there.

He said he was looking, but IMO it will be hard to recreate the atmosphere if its not in the Marshall St. area. And 8000+ SF of real estate is hard to find there.
I don't know if he is the guy, but i would love someone with an established brand (Chuck's would be but there are others) and deepish pockets to take a shot at E Genesee. Like I said above, I really do think its going to become a signif retail/bar destination as SU takes up more and more influence on Marshall, and also stretches further, via University buildings AND off campus residences, towards E Gen.

If the prices are right, and the atmosphere is dope, kids will go there.

I added this above- At this point, I'm surprised there isn't more of an effort to establish a more lively walkable bar scene on E. Genesee. That area is slowly but surely developing, and I could absolutely see it housing a couple of pretty happening bars if SU keeps pushing things off Marshall.

It's been a while since I was a student there but I remember often walking to the Syracuse Stage. It's not a long walk and as more SU buildings go up that way, it gets shorter all the time. And they just finished a massive student apartment building there too. I gotta think someone will want to be first out of the gate there.

I think it's a great idea, but those new developments on E. Genesee don't seem to be in any hurry to fill their commercial space. I have to imagine that the rent they want to charge is outrageous.

I think it's a great idea, but those new developments on E. Genesee don't seem to be in any hurry to fill their commercial space. I have to imagine that the rent they want to charge is outrageous.

They're asking $40 a square foot. High for Syracuse. 941 does finally have one tenant, a bubble tea/poke place that's slowly building out its storefront.

They're asking $40 a square foot. High for Syracuse. 941 does finally have one tenant, a bubble tea/poke place that's slowly building out its storefront.

Is Strong Hearts new location in that building? Or is it in the building that they renovated, so it technically doesn't count as a new build?

Is Strong Hearts new location in that building? Or is it in the building that they renovated, so it technically doesn't count as a new build?

Strong Hearts is in the new addition to the renovated building on the other side of that block, 900 East Fayette. But they're the only commercial tenant in that building, too. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what they're asking. But the absorption period for these retail spaces is really long in the best of times. And for the national developers their crazy asking rents aren't helping that.

Umm... unadulterated stories of capitalism belong on the OT Board. ;) Just kidding, of course. Nice article. Thanks for sharing.
Totally sports related. These kids can offer someone under NIL rules to sign cups or serve lemonade.

My favorite bar on the Hill was Sutter's Mill - 1980-1982. I used to cook there, and they would clear out the tables and turn it into a dance club at night.

Downstairs was the original Hungry Charlie's, where you could get $5 pitchers of German beer (real pitchers, not cardboard containers), and a hot sub would cost you around $2.50.

My favorite bar on the Hill was Sutter's Mill - 1980-1982. I used to cook there, and they would clear out the tables and turn it into a dance club at night.

Downstairs was the original Hungry Charlie's, where you could get $5 pitchers of German beer (real pitchers, not cardboard containers), and a hot sub would cost you around $2.50.

Yeah, Chucks in the basement = CHUCKS.

Chucks upstairs in what was formerly Sutter's Mill = "chucks"

I tended bar at Sutter's for spring semester my Jr year ('87) - was a good time.
Highlight was serving all of the hoops players one night, Sherm & Stevie & DC and several other guys were hanging out at one corner of the bar, and just mobbed with people all around them.

Hey whatever happened to the plan to expand the Dome towards Archbold? Didn't SU receive a generous donation from a booster to connect the 2 buildings? It's a little disconcerting that we hear big plans and then poof it's just a mirage.

Yeah, Chucks in the basement = CHUCKS.

Chucks upstairs in what was formerly Sutter's Mill = "chucks"

I tended bar at Sutter's for spring semester my Jr year ('87) - was a good time.
Highlight was serving all of the hoops players one night, Sherm & Stevie & DC and several other guys were hanging out at one corner of the bar, and just mobbed with people all around them.

Back when I worked there, Gary Bugenhagen was the owner. For those who don't remember the name, Bugenhagen was an offensive lineman for SU in the 1960s on the Floyd Little / Larry Csonka teams. He played in the NFL for a few years, for the Bills and the Patriots.

Anyway, he told us when recruits were in the house, and he made point of coming in the back when he was hosting someone to tell us that anything was free "except the steaks - those they gotta pay for!". LOL

For "pub grub", we were pretty proud of the quality of the food we put out. I would say that we were better than Faegan's, in our hey day. We had great french onion soup. Our cook started the broth in the morning, and it cooked all day long. The salads were served in these big wooden bowls, and they taught us to cut the ham, turkey & swiss for the chef's salads in one inch cubes, not just slices of lunchmeat. Those are big pieces of meat and cheese, in case you don't realize. Our Reubens were done under the grill on outstanding pumpernickel and were THE BEST.

I learned to really be a short order cook working there. Previously, I had cooked in the dining halls in college for work study. I liked that a LOT better than working in the library. Cooking in dining halls is little pressure, as you are making 20-40 portions of food at the same time. It's industrial cooking in a big kitchen with all the tools.

Sutter's taught me how to make meals quickly and plate them well, or else a good waitress would give you the "what for". From there, I went to Dominick's, and learned how to cook seafood properly. Somebody else was the Sauce Boss, and frankly, I like a lot more garlic in my marinara than they use. But, honestly, they used to be considered much better, 40 years ago, than they are considered today for the quality of the food. The older folks can vouch for me on this!

And then I cooked at Kirby's, which may have been called Mr. Steak back then. So that is my history as a cook. I cooked on dates for a lot of girls in college and as a young man. It's an inexpensive night out, shows real effort to please your date, buy a nice bottle of wine, and it's a much shorter walk to the bedroom.

Last edited:
Hey whatever happened to the plan to expand the Dome towards Archbold? Didn't SU receive a generous donation from a booster to connect the 2 buildings? It's a little disconcerting that we hear big plans and then poof it's just a mirage.

no

Yeah, the interior lighting is terrific, although under-utilized at this point.

But no changes have been made to the size of the hallways or to the bathroom, really. Some of the stairways down close to the field are really narrow, I discovered last week, too.

Lots of interior work needs to be done to really make for a better in-game experience.

As many have said, the speakers are loud, but they are not clear. It's like the equalizer is a lost technology of the 1970s that people ought to rediscover.

Connecting to Archbold Gym, and kicking out the exterior walls, was not until Phase 2, and many millions of dollars are needed.

Of course, there once was a Phase 2 of Destiny - there was going to be a historical Erie Canal boat ride (right by the waste processing plant ...), and an amusement park to rival Disney World. So don't hold your breath waiting for Phase 2, I guess is what I'm saying ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom