Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 145 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

What you've seen cannot be unseen.

Along those lines, my freshman year the word got out that there was going to be a "nude-in" on the quad. I rushed right over, my young male brain filled with the hope of seeing hundreds...maybe thousands!..of naked bodies on a perfect sunny day. I may have cut a class, there's really no way to know...

When I got there, there were lots of people all right, all of them clothed. However, from the steps of Hendricks came loud music and a large guy wearing a robe. Word filtered back that he was a football player. From his size, he was likely an offensive lineman and from his demeanor (wobbly and ranting) he was clearly drunk out of his mind.

Realizing that no actually mass nudity was going to happen, the crowd egged him on until he removed the robe, naked underneath, and collapsed back on the steps. Many women rushed up with cameras to "document" the experience although most of the guys, including me, realized that it had been a total waste of time.

As I turned to leave, I noticed the short, stocky form of Coach Ben on the periphery of the crowd, arms folded and expressionless. Not sure if there were ever any repercussions for the player or if Ben just considered it "boys being boys being hammered."

Interesting. It's probably just a matter of time before SU buys the whole Marshall St/S. Crouse area, which would be unfortunate, imo.

Yea. JB was a partner in this one also. He is cashing out and collecting his retirement money, lol. Discuss amongst yourselves on that one.

Interesting. It's probably just a matter of time before SU buys the whole Marshall St/S. Crouse area, which would be unfortunate, imo.

Unlikely that will happen anytime soon unless Crouse closes as they aren't selling the property they own.

I believe JB was an investor in the project. Mo money, mo money, mo money...

Did they kick that scumbag Texas restaurant guy out of the group?

Also, I wonder what that does for Chuck's supposedly going into that building? My guess would be that's dead in the water now.

I'm assuming this puts SU one step closer to their goal of not having any students living on South Campus? Also, does this mean the new Chuck's is dead in the water? No way I could see SU keeping them as a tenant. Way too much liability.

I'm assuming this puts SU one step closer to their goal of not having any students living on South Campus? Also, does this mean the new Chuck's is dead in the water? No way I could see SU keeping them as a tenant. Way too much liability.

That's a great point.

Not a huge loss for me, I hated the post circa 2000 chucks. Once it came out of the basement it became just another shitty college bar to me.

That said, more sanitization of the Hill. At this point, I'm surprised there isn't more of an effort to establish a more lively walkable bar scene on E. Genesee. That area is slowly but surely developing, and I could absolutely see it housing a couple of pretty happening bars if SU keeps pushing things off Marshall.

In the link I posted above, the housing review found that students still want housing options on South Campus, so the school is looking to adding more South Campus apartments for seniors, graduate students, veterans and their families. Interesting that they're also exploring adding housing West of campus as well.

That's also a good point re: Chuck's. At this point I'll believe they'll be back when they're actually up and running.

That's a great point.

Not a huge loss for me, I hated the post circa 2000 chucks. Once it came out of the basement it became just another shitty college bar to me.
In the link I posted above, the housing review found that students still want housing options on South Campus for seniors, graduate students, veterans and their families. Interesting that they're also exploring housing West of campus as well.

That's also a good point re: Chuck's. At this point I'll believe they'll be back when they're actually up and running.

Yeah I mean this latest reincarnation of Chuck's would definitely be nothing like the prior two, but the bar scene near the university has been extremely lacking since they closed.

Yeah I mean this latest reincarnation of Chuck's would definitely be nothing like the prior two, but the bar scene near the university has been extremely lacking since they closed.

I added this above- At this point, I'm surprised there isn't more of an effort to establish a more lively walkable bar scene on E. Genesee. That area is slowly but surely developing, and I could absolutely see it housing a couple of pretty happening bars if SU keeps pushing things off Marshall.

It's been a while since I was a student there but I remember often walking to the Syracuse Stage. It's not a long walk and as more SU buildings go up that way, it gets shorter all the time. And they just finished a massive student apartment building there too. I gotta think someone will want to be first out of the gate there.

Last edited:

Yeah, hopefully it comes back cause every campus needs it's "bar" and Chucks was it when I was in school. At least with ride sharing nowadays it's easier to get around the area, I used to hate having to deal with taxis just to go out off campus. Pretty much stuck to Faegans/Lucys/Chucks and then house parties.

I know the guy who owns Chuck's. When I talked to him in June he was saying the deal had died. My guess he had just gotten wind of the negotiations with SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom