Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 150 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I found an old picture taken in from of a Carrols on the internet and sent it to my cousin, who sentimentally recalled that Carrol's hamburgers were the thinnest, smallest he's ever seen.

"During the 1960s, a yellow slug character served as Carrols' first mascot, replaced in 1974 by a young blonde boy wearing a tweed suit and a Fedora hat."

A 'yellow slug' character?

I remember: 2 burgers, fries and a drink for under a buck.

This was before free refills.

The Club Burger is still the best!

I remember: 2 burgers, fries and a drink for under a buck.

This was before free refills.

The Club Burger is still the best!

The Club Burger was like a better version of the Big Mac.

Does anyone recall Ike’s Cook House? Greasiest home fries of all time. Closed early 70s.

I remember carrols restaurant in baldwinsville which eventually became BK. Now we are the only town in America without one. We have McDonald’s, Taco Bell, two subways, two Dunkin’s, and 73 Auto parts stores.

They need to buy and tear down that strip of old crappy buildings on Marshall. I think Dave Jacobs own two of them.
No. It will just lead to more gentrification. Too many buildings these days being built on the hill that resemble old Soviet Architecture and that’s what we will end up with here. Architects have little ingenuity these days.

No. It will just lead to more gentrification. Too many buildings these days being built on the hill that resemble old Soviet Architecture and that’s what we will end up with here. Architects have little ingenuity these days.
I understand your comment. If it is ever done hopefully it is done with architectural design with a flourish.

Also, gentrification isn't usually a bad thing.

I understand your comment. If it is ever done hopefully it is done with architectural design with a flourish.

Not always, but to often cultural differences are lost and small business is pushed out for corporate uniformity.

I’m all for economic progress, but it needs to be done right.

Seems like there’s way too much 5 story wood framed construction in Syracuse these days. We need some differentiation.

If it's the same folks in the community who are benefitting and occupying the buildings sure - it can be. Not so much if the community itself is being replaced so to speak. That is what happens too often sometimes.

Hipster...

(I thought the idea was the build up and around Faegan's / Varsity?)

Well, he's not going to fix them up, so I guess they will collapse on their own eventually.

Like a cockroach it will reemerge the next day selling slightly smoky clothes at huge discounts. See what it costs at the temporary cash register.
Buy one slightly smoky Hoodie get a 2nd one free… kinda? Maybe? First Hoodie costs $83.76?;)

Gentrification = good.

Losing that fine-grained urban fabric with lots of (mostly) mom-and-pop shops = really bad.

Marshall Street leaves a lot to be desired, but I think the likely alternative (large-scale development of new buildings) is going to be a lot worse. Picture The Marshall: five or six oversized retail spaces, mainly vacant due to financing structure that requires above-market asking rents, that replaced almost a dozen diverse businesses.

I remember carrols restaurant in baldwinsville which eventually became BK. Now we are the only town in America without one. We have McDonald’s, Taco Bell, two subways, two Dunkin’s, and 73 Auto parts stores.
And that Taco Bell only opened about a month ago. You forgot Byrne Dairy which is going big on sandwiches etc. ;)

Gentrification = good.

Losing that fine-grained urban fabric with lots of (mostly) mom-and-pop shops = really bad.

Marshall Street leaves a lot to be desired, but I think the likely alternative (large-scale development of new buildings) is going to be a lot worse. Picture The Marshall: five or six oversized retail spaces, mainly vacant due to financing structure that requires above-market asking rents, that replaced almost a dozen diverse businesses.

It's hard for big retail space to make sense economically.
You still have to rent out space to somebody. If you go down to Armory, or over by City Hall, several of those properties are owned by recent immigrants. Traditional retail franchises don't make sense on Marshall St. with the way the landlords seem to auction off the lease of a failed business to a new tenant. Very weird dynamic up there. A lot of those owners have been problems. They all think they're Congel, and that Marshall Street is a money tree.

Gentrification = good.

There was supposed to be a Blaze Pizza in The Marshall. Think it was supposed to open like 2 years ago.

I take it that is never going to happen now? What a shame such prime locations are being wasted.

There was supposed to be a Blaze Pizza in The Marshall. Think it was supposed to open like 2 years ago.

I take it that is never going to happen now? What a shame such prime locations are being wasted.
And now with more people blazing than ever it would be a perfect time to open one up.
Blazing Light It Up GIF by 16BARS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom