Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 153 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Curious what SU's endgame is here with some of these purchases lately. They bought The Marshall building recently for $69M, so that's over $80M invested in real estate in the past year or so. Is it just a new investment strategy/seeking out new sources of income or is there something more to it?

Curious what SU's endgame is here with some of these purchases lately. They bought The Marshall building recently for $69M, so that's over $80M invested in real estate in the past year or so. Is it just a new investment strategy/seeking out new sources of income or is there something more to it?

They view that area as the “gateway” to the university. They don’t like how the “gateway” presents itself. The purchases are for control of which I agree with.

They view that area as the “gateway” to the university. They don’t like how the “gateway” presents itself. The purchases are for control of which I agree with.
i hope they know how important it is to a college atmosphere to have restaurants and bars, and enhance that element.

They hate the whole look of Marshall st. Look for the businesses to stay there but a lot of remodeling and adding apartments above the businesses.

They hate the whole look of Marshall st. Look for the businesses to stay there but a lot of remodeling and adding apartments above the businesses.
Don’t blame them, it’s tired looking

Yeah I’ve heard that before, but that doesn’t explain their purchase of The Marshall, which is a brand new building. Was that just an easy (albeit costly) way to add more student housing?

Marshall St def needs a good fix up. some of the buildings look like they're 100 years old

Yeah I’ve heard that before, but that doesn’t explain their purchase of The Marshall, which is a brand new building. Was that just an easy (albeit costly) way to add more student housing?

Yea I have to believe it was for housing reasons and having control along with the location. SU probably wants to own that whole area.

Recently visited Notre Dame... they have (what looks like recently) added a really nice downtown section that looks very appealing and has a lot of restaurants, pubs, etc. It would be nice to model whatever they are planning on something like that. Plenty of student housing in and near it.

Recently visited Notre Dame... they have (what looks like recently) added a really nice downtown section that looks very appealing and has a lot of restaurants, pubs, etc. It would be nice to model whatever they are planning on something like that. Plenty of student housing in and near it.

Obviously I don't think it would look exactly like that but it looks new and updated. And also I am very disappointed with having Popeyes. If we're going to have new, let's have new, updated and consistent with some of the history of Marshall Street.

Obviously I don't think it would look exactly like that but it looks new and updated. And also I am very disappointed with having Popeyes. If we're going to have new, let's have new, updated and consistent with some of the history of Marshall Street.

What’s wrong with Popeye’s? Just the fact that it’s a fast food chain? Unfortunately, with the rent these landlords charge, that’s all that can afford it typically.

Rochester's College town venture should be a cautionary tale of a university trying to be a landlord. Won't be as bad at SU because Marshall st is already a thing where UR is trying to create that too far from the campus

What’s wrong with Popeye’s? Just the fact that it’s a fast food chain? Unfortunately, with the rent these landlords charge, that’s all that can afford it typically.
Yup. It's a fast food chain and it replaced Acropolis. At least I got up there for a lax game in the spring and had the opportunity to eat there one last time. I get what you're saying about the rent. The financial realities are real.

VCU down here in Richmond, VA is buying any building around the downtown campus and medical campus. It’s pretty crazy. A lot for over 3-4 times over the city assessed value, sometimes more. Bunch of new dorms and apartments and graduate dorm villas. They are also buying property by the old aging pro baseball field for a whole new athletics complex. Watch out Utica, Richmond is a city on the grow.

Well, buying the Marshall Building was to ensure that they could charge "dorm rental" prices rather than market rate for apartments. Dorms are such a rip off. The other properties, they want to be the landlord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom