Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 154 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Landlord, property owner with controlling ground lease to developers, ability to set not just prices, but program/tenants. If you look at what may be the most successful examples of this, look no further than NYU, Columbia, or perhaps the best example, MIT. Drexel is doing this sort of thing in the hottest growing research market in the NE, uCity Philadelphia. MIT owns most of the land under all the corporate research facilities in Cambridge and collects on ground leases. They can mandate parking requirements, bike storage, and retail needs. MITIMCO is their real estate arm. As with them and Drexel, very few of these buildings are for their direct use, just collecting rent and building local industry to support their enrollment and graduate placement. Cooper Union in NYC owns the land that the Chrysler Building sits on and until recently offered a heavily subsidized (pretty much free) education to all who could get in (making it pretty selective). I know that M Street is a far cry from Cambridge or Manhattan, but most private universities are major land-holders and most buy like crazy when the economy is weak.

Give me a vucking brake
Wow. Curious to hear why this upsets you so much. I’m just not one for neon lights at my school. I think it cheapens the image of a high level academic institution. You don’t see this kind of stuff at other peer schools that take academics seriously. BC, Duke, ND? I’ve worked on the MIT, Yale, Cornell, Princeton, Brown, Northwestern campus as an architect and never have I heard them ask for an illuminated sign like this at their front door. Rutgers would do this (I’ve done work there too). I think it’s “vucking” ugly. Just my opinion (and that of all those high ranked schools I mentioned).

It’s Syracuse not Harvard. Chill
There’s a reason for that, and I mentioned about 10 other schools not named Harvard just off the top of my head. We were a top 40 school before Nancy. She left for Rutgers and now we are decorating our campus like them. We’re not Kean University either.
1660968264203.jpeg

1660968331880.jpeg

That’s their two latest buildings.

I’m not saying it’s because of this that we’re not still top 40, but I don’t think it helps, and I don’t like it. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Last edited:
I’m thinking there was some practicality for having a night time lighted sign. University Ave ends at this sign, at this busy intersection with Waverly and particularly at night it is potentially very dangerous if vehicles try to go straight. Years ago you used to be able go straight because it extended part way up. That stone wall the sign is on, wouldn’t be very visible at night alone. I would guess that it’s a worrisome safety issue.

I’m thinking there was some practicality for having a night time lighted sign. University Ave ends at this sign, at this busy intersection with Waverly and particularly at night it is potentially very dangerous if vehicles try to go straight. Years ago you used to be able go straight because it extended part way up. That stone wall the sign is on, wouldn’t be very visible at night alone. I would guess that it’s a worrisome safety issue.
OK, interesting argument and I like it, but streetlights and headlights have a way of illuminating walls. If not, we need glowing buildings.

I think it detracts from the beautiful view of a wonderfully lit Hall of Languages, the oldest building on the campus.

The sign is okay, but does it affect the remembrance wall for the Lockerbie victims?

Am I the only one who doesn't like that they've gone all-in with the block S and ditched the university seal?

Our heritage logo combines our laurel, University motto and founding date in the form of a seal. While our primary logo should be applied in most contexts, the heritage logo can be a powerful way to elevate our prowess and prestige. Environments could include academic ceremonies (e.g., convocation), achievements (e.g., diplomas, certificates) and awards.

Am I the only one who doesn't like that they've gone all-in with the block S and ditched the university seal?
Not sure if this is the same place, but wasn't there a (classy and traditional) set of granite steps flanked by columns to the R/L before this creation? Or am I thinking of another entrance?

Either way, this (neon) sign is oriented more like a barrier than a gateway. It's not traditional, or "academic" looking. It's not welcoming, and instead of framing the Hall of Languages and other interior buildings it's a distraction as NJCuse97 observed.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the same place, but wasn't there a (classy and traditional) set of granite steps flanked by columns to the R/L before this creation? Or am I thinking of another entrance?

Either way, this (neon) sign looks more like a barrier than a gateway. It's not welcoming and fights with the illuminated Hall of Languages as NJCuse97 observed.
There wasn’t anything here really, so I am glad the did something, but this isn’t what I would aspire to. I believe the steps you mentioned are at the top of this strip of grass, and bring you past the wall of remembrance.

looks like a motel vacancy sign unreal how does this stuff happen

Either way, this (neon) sign is oriented more like a barrier than a gateway. It's not traditional, or "academic" looking. It's not welcoming, and instead of framing the Hall of Languages and other interior buildings it's a distraction as NJCuse97 observed.
Only after dark

It's crazy, I come through here at least a couple times a week and I have no firm idea.

My general memory is that there was a gentle ramp on each side while the center was low granite steps. And the two were separated by a concrete bannister of sorts. Not as grand as the columns on the next set of steps by the Lockerbie memorial.

But I wouldn't swear to it. Funny how we take these everyday sights for granted.

Anyway, y'all think this is tacky, wait til you see the signage they're pinning to the facade of Manley Highest Bidder Fieldhouse, without any consideration for the context of the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom