Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 155 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

That sign is an abomination.
Also, best neon sign ever...
images.jpeg

Not sure if this is the same place, but wasn't there a (classy and traditional) set of granite steps flanked by columns to the R/L before this creation? Or am I thinking of another entrance?

Either way, this (neon) sign is oriented more like a barrier than a gateway. It's not traditional, or "academic" looking. It's not welcoming, and instead of framing the Hall of Languages and other interior buildings it's a distraction as NJCuse97 observed.
That's in front of the Hall Of Languages on University Place.

I just don’t understand why the sign has plain white around it. There should at least be a brick facade around the neon lights to make it pop. This university never spends the right money!!!

There wasn’t anything here really, so I am glad the did something, but this isn’t what I would aspire to. I believe the steps you mentioned are at the top of this strip of grass, and bring you past the wall of remembrance.
My take is this sign serves another purpose. An intended (pedestrian protection) barrier against motor vehicular movement up the wide sidewalk towards the HOL.

I don’t think that sign is bad at all. It’s also not something to get all wound up about.
Honestly, what could possibly be the productive intent of making negative posts on a message board about seemingly everything. Maybe Buzz Shaw was right about some of you. “Get a life!”

The biggest abomination is the font used on the #44 statues plaques, but I’m not one to complain lol

Honestly, what could possibly be the productive intent of making negative posts on a message board about seemingly everything. Maybe Buzz Shaw was right about some of you. “Get a life!”

[Eyeroll]

Seriously, if I didn't know you guys in real life I'd think it was really weird the way you drive by to pounce on any minor disagreement in taste.

So much animosity because I said I didn’t like it. It’s a good thing we weren’t critical of the 2019 season here. GRob was trying his best. Taj Harris just needs to express himself, who cares how it reflects on the university! We should stop trying to improve, it’s too negative.

This is literally the place where we are supposed to discuss the campus. It says so in the first post. I thought we could discuss it rationally, so I gave my opinion and calmly explained why I have it. I have seen opinions on Ernie Davis Hall and the IPF, that my office and colleagues designed and most were not flattering, but perhaps some was deserved.

As an architect who designs academic buildings, this IS my life. As an alum, this is a representation of me when I tell people where I went to school, or bring my kids to a game. Yes I’m critical, because it reflects me, I think its worth it, as I said, it is my life, it is my pride. All I said was I don’t like the lights.

[Eyeroll]

Seriously, if I didn't know you guys in real life I'd think it was really weird the way you drive by to pounce on any minor disagreement in taste.
You’ll be an old man, someday too!

It’s not just here, obviously. The constant negativity gets really tiresome and I just don’t understand what someone hopes to accomplish by making comments with no productive purpose.

And, by the way, What was that Betsy Ross thinking?! Red, white and blue? Let’s just copy France’s color scheme. Can’t we be a little bit original? And stars AND stripes? Pick a lane! Looks like shapes that fell out of some second graders pencil box!

No, the memorial is on University Place
I was initially confused by this too.

I assume what we are looking at is where University Ave terminates at Waverly, looking south, up the hill to the Hall of Languages.

You have to walk the block up to what used to be University Place, and that is where the grand staircase showcasing the main entrance to the campus (and the Place of Remembrace) were and remain.

IMHO, this is okay given it is on Waverly. It would really be out of place up on University Place.

Still have mixed feelings closing off that last block of University Ave and closing down University Place to normal traffic. I disliked it at first (must be the grouchy old man in me) but it has grown on me. In part because the university has improved how it was implemented over time. That vista looking west on University Place near the Place of Remembrance is really nice. See people taking pictures there a lot. And expanding the campus by a block and making things safer for distracted college kids is a good thing too.

I was initially confused by this too.

I assume what we are looking at is where University Ave terminates at Waverly, looking south, up the hill to the Hall of Languages.

You have to walk the block up to what used to be University Place, and that is where the grand staircase showcasing the main entrance to the campus (and the Place of Remembrace) were and remain.

IMHO, this is okay given it is on Waverly. It would really be out of place up on University Place.

Still have mixed feelings closing off that last block of University Ave and closing down University Place to normal traffic. I disliked it at first (must be the grouchy old man in me) but it has grown on me. In part because the university has improved how it was implemented over time. That vista looking west on University Place near the Place of Remembrance is really nice. See people taking pictures there a lot. And expanding the campus by a block and making things safer for distracted college kids is a good thing too.

+1 I think closing off University Place was a good move. It doesn't affect traffic since Waverly is a 4 lane road and parents/students are still able to pull up near the dorms. It also made campus a little safer as you said

I know you don't care for the new sign, but I feel like the last pic is a bit misleading because it is clearly VERY far from HL. It's in much closer proximity to those illuminated buildings you posted.
Fair comment, but I couldn't find an HOL pic from the same vantage as the one with the sign (a before to the after I guess).

I don't love, but ultimately don't mind the wall and the sign, I just don't like the way it's lit. I think its a bit too night-clubby or as I mentioned, "Vegas". I agree that Waverly is not University Place, but that is literally as far as most everybody can take a car and it's right outside the Sheraton, the closest hotel to campus. I think it's odd that the University wants to "clean up" M Street, and then does this, which seems to be in line with the M Street of old. I like M Street. I like this kind of stuff at the athletic facilities. I don't love it for the primary vista and front door of the campus. Just my taste.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom