Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 173 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

They are also removing a clerestory (fancy architects), moving some signage that was previously approved, and changing some paneling finish.
It seems the purpose of the clerestory was to allow additional light in. Disappointed that's being taken out. Never believe the original rendering is what you'll get.

I think the concourse widening is only happening on the East side for the 300 level.

I wish it was also happening on the 100 level.

Hopefully they do not repeat this when they work on the west end of the building.
How is it possible to expand the 300s without doing the same down below? Glad I'm perfectly comfortable in the 300s.

How is it possible to expand the 300s without doing the same down below? Glad I'm perfectly comfortable in the 300s.

I could be wrong but I assume it's because the upstairs will be an expansion of the concourse which will be above the outdoor walkway & entryway for the first level.

Just in keeping up with the changes coming. Is this part expected to be ready for this fall?

I could be wrong but I assume it's because the upstairs will be an expansion of the concourse which will be above the outdoor walkway & entryway for the first level.
Yes. The 300 level concourse is at ground level on the East side, which is where the addition is being built.

I haven’t seen any excavating in this area. I assume this means the only way to get down to the 100 level from the Miron Court will be from the stairs that take one from ground level to the 100 level gates in the southeast and northeast corners of the dome.

To expand the 100 level on the east side, they would have to move a lot of dirt. Probably some pipes for electricity, gas, water and steam too. My guess is it was very costly and judged not worth pursuing.

On the west side of the stadium, we have the floor of the stadium at ground level. The 100 level concourse is a story higher. And the 300 level concourse is another story higher. So there will be no expensive excavating required.

So I would expect any addition to the east side of the stadium to have at least 3 stories. If there is a hotel, a dorm or some other needs, they would presumably be built on top of the 3 levels needed to expand the two concourses and the space on the lock room/field level. I know we need more space for locker rooms for players, for refs, and bigger and better facilities for press conferences and more space for the press period.

It will be interesting to see what happens on this front in the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Yes. The 30 level concourse is at ground level on the East side, which is where the addition is being built.

I haven’t seen any excavating in this area. I assume this means the only way to get down to the 100 level from the Miron Court will be from the stairs that take one from ground level to the 100 level gates in the southeast and northeast corners of the dome.

To expand the 100 level on the east side, they would have to move a lot of dirt. Probably some pipes for electricity, gas, water and steam too. My guess is it was very costly and judged not worth pursuing.

On the west side of the stadium, we have the floor of the stadium at ground level. The 100 level concourse is a story higher. And the 300 level concourse is another story higher. So there will be no expensive excavating required.

So I would expect any addition to the east side of the stadium to have at least 3 stories. If there is a hotel, a dorm or some other needs, they would presumably be built on top of the 3 levels needed to expand the two concourses and the space on the lock room/field level. I know we need more space for locker rooms for players, for refs, and bigger and better facilities for press conferences and more space for the press period.

It will be interesting to see what happens on this front in the next 5-10 years.
Think this is a logical take. Would probably be costly to go below ground in between the Dome and Barnes without running into issues. Makes far more sense to do that on a side with a beneficial slope. Kind of surprised they didn’t start on that side for many reasons, including it being bball side.

Yes. The 300 level concourse is at ground level on the East side, which is where the addition is being built.

In the zoning packet, they show the original site plan for the Dome from 1979. No pipes were shown going through the access road. who knows now.

But you're right. Cost to excavate that down to 100 lvl probably triples the cost of this project.

In the zoning packet, they show the original site plan for the Dome from 1979. No pipes were shown going through the access road. who knows now.

But you're right. Cost to excavate that down to 100 lvl probably triples the cost of this project.
At the least, there was a also tunnel that led from a basement Archbold gym that went under the area we are discussing directly to Archbold Stadium.

Maybe two of them (not sure about the visiting team).

I was hoping they could be opened as part of this project (as well as expanding the 100 level eastern concourse).

It would have been cool but yes, the cost to do it had to be very high. It is a bummer that the 100 level east concourse is never going to get expanded though.

At the least, there was a also tunnel that led from a basement Archbold gym that went under the area we are discussing directly to Archbold Stadium.

I was hoping they could be opened as part of this project (as well as expanding the 100 level eastern concourse).

It would have been cool but yes, the cost to do it had to be very high. It is a bummer that the 100 level east concourse is never going to get expanded though.
This is why I love this site.

You get all the history behind the construction and old buildings on campus. Thanks.

Never knew about the tunnels.

Nothing short of a stampede or fire code disaster will force their hand in the 100s.

Lateral load on the foundation/sub grade walls. If you excavate, you would have to sheet and shore both the dome and Archi to dig, then you would have to add permanent reinforcement to leave it “unexcavated”. That’s what the famous World Trade Center “bath tub” is.

Are the tunnels still there!? I would be surprised if they were left post demo of Archbold Stadium. I believe there was a mini collider or some other physics lab under the north bleachers of Archbold (or a rad lab) but I’m not sure of the validity of that.

Are the tunnels still there!? I would be surprised if they were left post demo of Archbold Stadium. I believe there was a mini collider or some other physics lab under the north bleachers of Archbold (or a rad lab) but I’m not sure of the validity of that.
I have never read what become of the tunnels. I assume the entrance to them from the gym locker room was closed after Archbold closed. Believe the locker rooms survived for a long time afterwards. They might still be there for all I know. They were surely sealed on the Archbold side as well before it was demolished. I doubt anyone took the time to excavate them and remove them so they probably remain down there, and probably likely will remain there for the foreseeable future.

I know the Physics lab under the north bleachers at Archnbold was originally for Professor Levinstein.

Good article on the SU Physics department back in the 1950s. It mentions when Levinstein’s lab was moved to Archbold. I believe it also includes some mentions of nycfan ’s remarkable father.

I never had classes there but I remember seeing signs on doors for the Physics department at Archbold in 1978. I am sure it remained at Archbold all the way to the day it closed, and perhaps beyond that. I thought it said something about collider by the lab. Believe there were also some ominous looking radiation symbols on the doors.

There was also a facility under the north bleachers at Archbold that housed dogs. I have no idea why there were dogs there but there were. It seemed whenever I walked by one would sense my presence and it sounded like the whole crew of dogs would go crazy barking. It was very loud and I was very scared. Anyone else remember dogs at Archnbold?

I have never read what become of the tunnels. I assume the entrance to them from the gym locker room was closed after Archbold closed. Believe the locker rooms survived for a long time afterwards. They might still be there for all I know. They were surely sealed on the Archbold side as well before it was demolished. I doubt anyone took the time to excavate them and remove them so they probably remain down there, and probably likely will remain there for the foreseeable future.

I know the Physics lab under the north bleachers at Archnbold was originally for Professor Levinstein.

Good article on the SU Physics department back in the 1950s. It mentions when Levinstein’s lab was moved to Archbold. I believe it also includes some mentions of nycfan ’s remarkable father.

I never had classes there but I remember seeing signs on doors for the Physics department at Archbold in 1978. I am sure it remained at Archbold all the way to the day it closed, and perhaps beyond that. I thought it said something about collider by the lab. Believe there were also some ominous looking radiation symbols on the doors.

There was also a facility under the north bleachers at Archbold that housed dogs. I have no idea why there were dogs there but there were. It seemed whenever I walked by one would sense my presence and it sounded like the whole crew of dogs would go crazy barking. It was very loud and I was very scared. Anyone else remember dogs at Archnbold?

We were influencing the Browns then ( not just a uni-thread thing). That was the original dog pound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom