Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 177 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I love the framing around the historic "mansion" that is a decrepit frat house. It's not historic just because it's old. I can understand the rose garden concerns more than the mansion concerns.
I just don’t get how you can determine that the owner of an old home couldn’t do to it as they pleased. Would be something needed presale or a preexisting historic designation. Post sale, no way. Seems crazy given how beat down that home is that they would put their foot down about this, but in theory SU could let that place rot and fall apart.

I just don’t get how you can determine that the owner of an old home couldn’t do to it as they pleased. Would be something needed presale or a preexisting historic designation. Post sale, no way. Seems crazy given how beat down that home is that they would put their foot down about this, but in theory SU could let that place rot and fall apart.

I hope they do let it rot and fall apart. Would be a great look for their campus over the next decade.

I hope they do let it rot and fall apart. Would be a great look for their campus over the next decade.
I think what they will do, if they can’t tear it down, is put it on a truck and move it. I’m all for saving historic and classic homes. I personally wish the university bought more of them and used them as offices, etc. That would be a cool look.

I think what they will do, if they can’t tear it down, is put it on a truck and move it. I’m all for saving historic and classic homes. I personally wish the university bought more of them and used them as offices, etc. That would be a cool look.

I think they've already invested too much money in that property to do something like that and I don't think they care to do something like that anyway. They could care less about the surrounding neighborhood and have shown that time and time again. Any property they purchase is solely to demo it, and they are encroaching further and further east.

Remember a few years back, when they proposed a shared services agreement with the city that said they would kick in money for upgrades and repairs in the neighborhood, but they wanted to have greater control of Thornden Park? Shockingly, people in the neighborhood didn't trust them, pushed back and I believe ultimately no agreement was reached. Now this proposal is like a Mr. Burns story arch out of the Simpsons. You won't give us the park? Well then we'll block the sun from your precious rose garden!

simpsons sun.jpg

I think they've already invested too much money in that property to do something like that and I don't think they care to do something like that anyway. They could care less about the surrounding neighborhood and have shown that time and time again. Any property they purchase is solely to demo it, and they are encroaching further and further east.

Remember a few years back, when they proposed a shared services agreement with the city that said they would kick in money for upgrades and repairs in the neighborhood, but they wanted to have greater control of Thornden Park? Shockingly, people in the neighborhood didn't trust them, pushed back and I believe ultimately no agreement was reached. Now this proposal is like a Mr. Burns story arch out of the Simpsons. You won't give us the park? Well then we'll block the sun from your precious rose garden!

View attachment 243197
FYI, the city and SU eventually did reach an agreement on an arrangement where SU gave the city money and got more control over the part of Thornden closest to its dormitories.

You are right though, the neighborhood did not trust SU on this. At all. I think the city can be flexible though if the price is right.

The fear with tearing down Comstock homes, once that begins, SU won't stop until the whole 'row' of homes are dorms or apartments. Then Walnut.

Identity of the campus slowly changes, then all at once 10-15 years from now the 'character' of the area we all love is totally unrecognizable.

FYI, the city and SU eventually did reach an agreement on an arrangement where SU gave the city money and got more control over the part of Thornden closest to its dormitories.

You are right though, the neighborhood did not trust SU on this. At all. I think the city can be flexible though if the price is right.

Thanks. For the life of me, I couldn't remember whether or not they actually came to an agreement.

The fear with tearing down Comstock homes, once that begins, SU won't stop until the whole 'row' of homes are dorms or apartments. Then Walnut.

Identity of the campus slowly changes, then all at once 10-15 years from now the 'character' of the area we all love is totally unrecognizable.

More or less what I've been trying to convey (probably poorly, at times).

Yeah, it'll be a bummer to see that. But the school seems pretty clear they want to have all students on Main campus eventually and they need more housing to accomplish that

As a question of curiosity, is anyone familiar with SUNY's vision/SU's relationship with ESF?

I'm sure there are numerous protections in order by NY state, and no way promoting its acquisition, but if SU were ever to really expand, that would seem like the long, long-term solution.

Then build up not out.
I will say this. If the dorm ends up 4 to 6 stories high, being built at that location, the kids that live there are going to have some great views to the west and north.

They should be able to see downtown, the mall, and Onondaga Lake really well. I could see pictures taken from the roof of the new dorm becoming an iconic view of Syracuse.

It would be a great place to do a before and after set of pictures with I81 getting replaced by the community grid. Someone please do this.

I will say this. If the dorm ends up 4 to 6 stories high, being built at that location, the kids that live there are going to have some great views to the west and north.

They should be able to see downtown, the mall, and Onondaga Lake really well. I could see pictures taken from the roof of the new dorm becoming an iconic view of Syracuse.

It would be a great place to do a before and after set of pictures with I81 getting replaced by the community grid. Someone please do this.
Isn’t Nancy’s Folly in the way of some of those views?

(I’m referring to the dorm she constructed that blocks the view of the dome from 81)

Isn’t Nancy’s Folly in the way of some of those views?

(I’m referring to the dorm she constructed that blocks the view of the dome from 81)
I am not sure what Nancy's Folly is but if you are 6 stories above that plot of land on Ostrom Ave, you are going to be really high.

I don't think any existing building is going to block much of the view.

Most of the Comstock homes are student "slums". The landlords do not care about property upkeep. Unless that changes then SU's redevelopment is probably for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom