Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 178 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Yes. I believe the long term plan is to house the students on the main (North) campus).

It will be interesting to see what SU does with Skytop.

I could see the University Village staying around long term. Those buildings are relatively new and very convenient (and popular) for the athletes that stay in them.

The rest of the Skytop housing is old and not good. Maybe make it into a business incubator center? I think SRC started up there back in the day...

I'm assuming SU will hold onto Skytop, but I do wonder if they would entertain offers from developers. Probably not, since the softball field and the hockey pavilion are up there (among other reasons), but it will be kind of odd to have those facilities up there with absolutely zero students living nearby.

Yes. I believe the long term plan is to house the students on the main (North) campus).

I could see the University Village staying around long term. Those buildings are relatively new and very convenient (and popular) for the athletes that stay in them.

The rest of the Skytop housing is old and not good. Maybe make it into a business incubator center? I think SRC started up there back in the day...
You are thinking correct Tom. Similar model to what Clemson has. Create commercial research space that can be leased. Brings business and students together. Win win.

One of the plans being discussed several years ago (pre-Covid) was building 55+ housing on South Campus like they have done at Duke, Texas, Arizona State, University of Rochester, etc.

https://www.retirementliving.com/college-linked-retirement-communities

One of the plans being discussed several years ago (pre-Covid) was building 55+ housing on South Campus like they have done at Duke, Texas, Arizona State, University of Rochester, etc.

https://www.retirementliving.com/college-linked-retirement-communities
That would be better than some things. Those seniors could also use the ice rink, the softball field and the track complex already up there.

Get some of our older people out of their houses, which have to be tough to take care of once you reach a certain age, so they can be made available for the younger generation.

I bet a lot of seniors would be interested. It is a better option than living downtown, where there are theives and homeless people to deal with. Up at Skytop, that stuff should not be much of a problem any longer.

Get a supermarket and a couple of restaurants in a commerical area near the center and you have something people could really get excited about.

Golf cart community?*

*=9 months a year

The campus master plan I believe envisions South Campus as a student recreational area in particular with a park setting and walking paths that also incorporates the sports facilities (softball, cross country, ice hockey).

That would be better than some things. Those seniors could also use the ice rink, the softball field and the track complex already up there.

Get some of our older people out of their houses, which have to be tough to take care of once you reach a certain age, so they can be made available for the younger generation.

I bet a lot of seniors would be interested. It is a better option than living downtown, where there are theives and homeless people to deal with. Up at Skytop, that stuff should not be much of a problem any longer.

Get a supermarket and a couple of restaurants in a commerical area near the center and you have something people could really get excited about.

Golf cart community?*

*=9 months a year
Great thoughts, and would be a built-in group of fans for all SU sports.

Realistically, they should have built a new stadium up on South and they could have really consolidated all of the athletic complex’s up there. There would have been ample parking with no shuttle etc

I love the Dome, don’t get me wrong, but we missed the boat by not putting a brand new stadium on South.

It really would have enhanced the gameday experience

mple parking with no shuttle etc

I love the Dome, don’t get me wrong, but we missed the boat by not putting a brand new stadium on South.

Along with easy access to the highway and plenty of room for tail gates without the "west stadium" contrivance. The Dome footprint would also have supported a variety of non-football activities (LAX, BB, student assemblies, academic programs, etc.). I think it came down to funding a new stadium ... huge capex.

Last edited:
Realistically, they should have built a new stadium up on South and they could have really consolidated all of the athletic complex’s up there. There would have been ample parking with no shuttle etc

While I agree, the thought of Syracuse being one of the few stadiums truly nestled into campus is pretty sweet.

You have to be a certain type of human to WANT to rent student housing. Drunken shenanigans destroying these houses. And then they take the security deposit for themselves rather than fixing the issue for the next tenants.

And on the flipside, I've heard some horror stories of kids who were respectful and didn't do any damage to a house losing their security deposit for "damages" that the landlord probably did themselves.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Laff

Yup, This happened to me but not at SU. We complained about a broken window when we moved in and asked them to fix it. They never did after asking multiple times. They then charged us for it being broken when we moved out. We disputed it and they charged us anyway because we didn't have any documentation. Learning lessons...

While I agree, the thought of Syracuse being one of the few stadiums truly nestled into campus is pretty sweet.
Yeah the most unique Syracuse thing is having a dome literally on campus. Other than BC i can't think of many schools where the football stadium is right there. Wesleyan I think has it too and that's in the NESCAC.

Syracuse redeveloping South Campus into a cool mixed use community sounds great.

Those tiles and grout lines are messing with my mind.
I am hoping there is some awesomeness that has not yet been added to this lobby to make it look less like something that was designed by random floor tile generator made in East Germany.

But if the kids like it, great.

I get that this was not done for me. I am in fact very unlikely to ever step foot in Link again (spent a lot of time there when I was a student though).

I am hoping there is some awesomeness that has not yet been added to this lobby to make it look less like something that was designed by random floor tile generator made in East Germany.

But if the kids like it, great.

I get that this was not done for me. I am in fact very unlikely to ever step foot in Link again (spent a lot of time there when I was a student though).
I'm not sure that's tile. It almost looks, to me, like some type of poured flooring is going in there.

I'm not sure that's tile. It almost looks, to me, like some type of poured flooring is going in there.
That could be. The reflections on that floor are strange and almost look like someone left plastic on it. I trust it looks a lot better when you are actually in the lobby looking around.

It does make me want to go in there some Saturday before a football game and check it out.

Where were you in 1978 when they were making this decision? I think it's too late.
So many terrible times having the Carrier Dome on campus all those years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom