Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 179 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Where were you in 1978 when they were making this decision? I think it's too late.
So many terrible times having the Carrier Dome on campus all those years.

LMAO.

Very evident you don’t pay attention.

When the roof replacement project happened, there was a decision to replace the roof or build a new stadium.

The new stadium would have been on South Campus.

Wildhack wanted it on South Campus but ultimately lost out and was forced to do the roof replacement

I’m up for the stadium being wherever maximizes our chances to regain national relevancy.

LMAO.

Very evident you don’t pay attention.

When the roof replacement project happened, there was a decision to replace the roof or build a new stadium.

The new stadium would have been on South Campus.

Wildhack wanted it on South Campus but ultimately lost out and was forced to do the roof replacement
There was also Stephanie miner turning down $200M

That pre-dates the roof and that was to allegedly move the stadium down by the inner harbor which was never going to happen for a variety of reasons.

I thought that was for a new hockey arena at Kennedy Square?

Cause you ain't getting a brand new football stadium for $300 mil.

I thought that was for a new hockey arena at Kennedy Square?

Cause you ain't getting a brand new football stadium for $300 mil.
Partially correct. It was proposed at Kennedy square (not the inner harbor), but yes, the state was thinking they could front $200M for a football stadium with the county and university doing the rest. Granted this was before the post-Covid inflation so maybe, just maybe, we could’ve built something decent if the county pitched in $100M and SU pitched in $100-200M.

I would’ve preferred the inner harbor if I had to choose between that and Kennedy (tailgating/ease of access), but this was never under consideration. It was all about trying to resurrect distressed neighborhoods.

Partially correct. It was proposed at Kennedy square (not the inner harbor), but yes, the state was thinking they could front $200M for a football stadium with the county and university doing the rest. Granted this was before the post-Covid inflation so maybe, just maybe, we could’ve built something decent if the county pitched in $100M and SU pitched in $100-200M.

I would’ve preferred the inner harbor if I had to choose between that and Kennedy (tailgating/ease of access), but this was never under consideration. It was all about trying to resurrect distressed neighborhoods.

They were never going to shoehorn a football stadium into Kennedy Square. Way too small.

Where were you in 1978 when they were making this decision? I think it's too late.
So many terrible times having the Carrier Dome on campus all those years.
Archs footprint worked. Today I'm glad we have an on campus venue.
The students won't bus to games. Won't ever happen. We are extremely fortunate the stadium wasn't built off campus especially at the fairgrounds which would have been a complete disaster.
There is nothing like walking up the Hill on a fall day watching the band on the steps. Passing Lincoln touching our legend for good luck and grabbing a slice after we win.

The students won't bus to games. Won't ever happen. We are extremely fortunate the stadium wasn't built off campus especially at the fairgrounds which would have been a complete disaster.
There is nothing like walking up the Hill on a fall day watching the band on the steps. Passing Lincoln touching our legend for good luck and grabbing a slice after we win.
100% agree. We all know the challenges with parking. And I suspect the vast majority of regulars figured out long ago where to park. Aside from that, being on campus is all sorts of awesome.

Agree.

Tailgating will never be super easy with the stadium where it is. You have to walk some to get to it and it isn't super convenient.

But I love walking through the campus. It has been a big part of my life almost my entire life. If the stadium was on top of the hill where the public golf course (Drumlins West) is on South Campus, going to an SU game would be as sterile an experience as going to a UConn football game.

Convenient and good for tailgating but you miss out on the whole college campus experience. It is like going to an NFL game on a smaller scale.

Give me games played on college campuses every time. UNC, UVa, FSU, Clemson, Duke, Wake. I love seeing different campuses when I go to road games.

And I love seeing my old friend, the SU campus on home games.

We made the right decision years ago. Thank you Chancellor Eggers and the BOT. And yes, Mel Holm and Carrier too.

totally agree. It is a real luxury. Only bummer is limited tailgating space.

Agree.

Tailgating will never be super easy with the stadium where it is. You have to walk some to get to it and it isn't super convenient.

But I love walking through the campus. It has been a big part of my life almost my entire life. If the stadium was on top of the hill where the public golf course (Drumlins West) is on South Campus, going to an SU game would be as sterile an experience as going to a UConn football game.

Convenient and good for tailgating but you miss out on the whole college campus experience. It is like going to an NFL game on a smaller scale.

Give me games played on college campuses every time. UNC, UVa, FSU, Clemson, Duke, Wake. I love seeing different campuses when I go to road games.

And I love seeing my old friend, the SU campus on home games.

We made the right decision years ago. Thank you Chancellor Eggers and the BOT. And yes, Mel Holm and Carrier too.
100% Tom spot on.
Great venues can't be "relocated" it's not about the stadium.
Look at Cameron, KU,
West Point, Wrigley, Fenway...All amazing experiences.
Build the cubs a new state of the art stadium in the burbs and...
Columbus bakery isn't in the best spot. The Saloon in Philly had a parking lot surrounded by a razor wire fence.
Great places don't exist because of convenience.

walking through campus before a game will forever be fun and nostalgic for me. Driving and chilling in a parking lot on south campus or by the mall sounds way less appealing.

I’ve never been a big tailgater though, I just bring beers and drink them on campus before heading into Dome.

walking through campus before a game will forever be fun and nostalgic for me. Driving and chilling in a parking lot on south campus or by the mall sounds way less appealing.

I’ve never been a big tailgater though, I just bring beers and drink them on campus before heading into Dome.

Completely agree. There's something to walking through YOUR campus for a Syracuse football game. It is like coming home and seeing your old friend. That friend has had some plastic surgery in the past 30 years (for me) but it looks fantastic every time i'm back

As other's, I'm completely in agreement with your sentiment here. However, I just wish Syracuse University would've been able to make that beautiful and aesthetically pleasing leaked Walter's Group rendering work, instead of the far less architectural and aesthetically pleasing and cheaper one that they went with.

1723222778114.jpeg

1723222823853.jpeg

As other's, I'm completely in agreement with your sentiment here. However, I just wish Syracuse University would've been able to make that beautiful and aesthetically pleasing leaked Walter's Group rendering work, instead of the far less architectural and aesthetically pleasing and cheaper one that they went with.

View attachment 243588

View attachment 243589
That is cuse always has been. Maybe things have changed now that they realize we need to get our programs back to a good spot

100% Tom spot on.
Great venues can't be "relocated" it's not about the stadium.
Look at Cameron, KU,
West Point, Wrigley, Fenway...All amazing experiences.
Build the cubs a new state of the art stadium in the burbs and...
Columbus bakery isn't in the best spot. The Saloon in Philly had a parking lot surrounded by a razor wire fence.
Great places don't exist because of convenience.
This will upset some

I think the City needs to work with the University and create 500-750 temporary grass and asphalt parking spots at Thornden Park for Football games.

It would help with the gameday experience.

SU would be on the hook to repair damage to any grassy areas used.

SU and the city split the proceeds

Last edited:
Lots if stadiums require a good walk..

LSU for example was much like SU, people scattered all over.
Maryland much the same.
OU, TAMU, UT, all on campus and limited nearby parking. All great venues All three have great student sections.

P.S. OU has many benches just like the Dome. Jam packed, just like the Dome

This will upset some

I think the City needs to work with the University and create 500-750 temporary grass and asphalt parking spots at Thornden Park for Football games.

Roses aren't in bloom in the fall. Just snip them down to the roots and open up more acreage.

This will upset some

That is logical, and probably the reason it will never happen. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement and beyond that, it benefits the gameday experience...so, some nitwit will find fault with it. I don't think that the powers that be often understand how they are failing to create the generational goodwill that our parents and grandparents created with us in taking us to games and sharing the joy and the pride in the program. Fran can only do so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom