Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

My goodness, can we get back to discussing the actual concepts and timelines for the renovation? All this back and forth about who should be paying for this is... I zoned out.
Design concepts and timeline are fine to discuss -- have at it. But there is that little thing about raising the $$$.

There is another dimension to this. The Board reflects (to some extent) the level of interest/commitment to football of the Central NY community, the SU alums, and the SU donor base. How is attendance at games, how is the alum & other donor support for SU football? There has been a good level of Board support in hiring Dino Babers and the other upgrades. If there was a high level of attendance, and more financial support from the community & alums, it would be a strong signal to the Board. Is that happening?
This is exactly the discussion occurring in the Alumni Donations thread. The argument is in part that the AD isn't committed to the Dome reno, and this is based in part on the lack of evidence for a structured giving campaign in support of this project. It appears our AD is terribly weak in the area of fundraising.

This is exactly the discussion occurring in the Alumni Donations thread. The argument is in part that the AD isn't committed to the Dome reno, and this is based in part on the lack of evidence for a structured giving campaign in support of this project. It appears our AD is terribly weak in the area of fundraising.
Is that what that thread says... you could have fooled me. I think that is the spin of a few posters .

Is that what that thread says... you could have fooled me. I think that is the spin of a few posters .
Ok, regardless of that thread, is there a structured giving campaign for the dome renovation? If "yes", why have so many here not seen requests to give specifically to that project?

Ok, regardless of that thread, is there a structured giving campaign for the dome renovation? If "yes", why have so many here not seen requests to give specifically to that project?

Not saying there is or isn't a campaign (sounds like there isn't, otherwise board insiders would have tipped us off), but any major capital campaign has a "silent phase" where you typically raise 50% or more of the goal before going public.

Not saying there is or isn't a campaign (sounds like there isn't, otherwise board insiders would have tipped us off), but any major capital campaign has a "silent phase" where you typically raise 50% or more of the goal before going public.
I was told that there was an ongoing campaign...like a United Way goal campaign. How true that is I don't know.

My reality isn't necessarily only focused on just the Dome renovation. It's the entirety of the AD and spending priorities and also how the BOT perceives athletics in general.

It depends at what metric you are looking to determine the success. If being a good athletic program is being profitable, then bravo, clap clap. That will be short lived as the fanbase erodes faster and faster because they are fed up with how they are treated and the lack of success on the field.

I am looking at the only metric that counts, wins on the field. In this industry, that is the only metric that matters. In this industry, you don't win unless you spend, period.

How much is the Syracuse football program worth?

Syracuse dropped 11 spots in Brewer's calculations from last year, when the team was valued at $130.5 million. It's not clear why the Orange's valuation declined so sharply but the most obvious shift are some changes in revenue and expenses that generated less of a surplus.

In its most recent filing with the federal government through the Equity in Athlatics Disclosure Act , Syracuse reported making $38.1 million from its football program in 2015-16, while spending $23.2 million on football in 2015-16.

Much of that financial surplus generated goes toward supporting non-revenue sports, while the school's athletic department reported generating an $8.5 million surplus as a unit.

But there is that little thing about raising the $$$.
I don't see any $$$ being raised in these threads - just a back-and-forth over who to blame.

Sure they would, indirectly. SU would no longer be in the ACC, and 95% of the students can be pumped again for those Providence, Depaul, Seton Hall, etc. affairs. ;):)
i miss not playing seton hall and frankly i do not think we could have beaten them the past few years as well this year

True. Purely a hypothetical here, but I'd would be curious to see what percentage of SU's enrollment would go away/disappear if not for the athletic department's significance to the university and its overall stature. SU isn't Ivy League (yet the cost of going there is comparable), not even Top 50 for that matter. SU reaps significant benefit in its enrollment (ensuing endowment) because of its sports identity.
who do you think su peer schools are academically? graduate and undergraduate? regardless of tuition.just curious. not being a smart ass.

And yet we wonder why we're ranked 61 or need to funnel ACC revenue into the general fund for academic use.
"general"academic use should be focused on Establishing a sophisticated research component. RE-establishing a medical school and Improving the law school status which is dismal.

who do you think su peer schools are academically? graduate and undergraduate? regardless of tuition.just curious. not being a smart ass.

I'm assuming US News & World Report tilt their ratings based upon SAT, GPA, % acceptance rates, etc. With SU's most current ranking at 61 (and only considering schools that also play D1 ball) that puts them on par with SMU & the University of Maryland. Ranked slightly higher than SU, is the beloved University of Connecticut, Purdue University & the University of Washington. A few notches below SU's current rankings lies Clemson, VT, Pitt & Rutgers. So, academically, I'd say the aforementioned.

With SU being a relatively small private school, I grasp the rationale when people here mention peer schools (again who also play D1 ball) of Syracuse being the likes of BC, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc., however, their academic standing ranks considerably higher. So, academically, I wouldn't place those schools at peer level, but superior, considering the general definition of peer is one having the same/level qualities and abilities.

Saturday, October 7, 2017
Campus Framework Event

10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Engage in conversation about the future of the Syracuse University campus. The draft Campus Framework, a 20-year roadmap for enhancing the student experience, will be at the heart of this important discussion. Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly; Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala; and Dean Emeritus Cathryn Newton, special advisor to the Chancellor and provost for faculty engagement, will host the forum. To learn more about the Campus Framework and the University’s Academic Strategic Plan, visit campusframework.syr.edu.
Event Cost: No charge
Register Now

If the BOT didn't believe in developing athletic programs at SU they never would have joined the ACC. If they didn't believe in athletics there wouldn't be the variety of sports being supported and developed to be competitive in the conference. When a program is deemed not to be cost effective any longer it is "retired"...as was swim at both SU and Clemson.

And again just because you don't know, your reality, how monies are being spent on upgrades doesn't mean it isn't happening. I watched a volleyball game last night, one of those womens' sports on which you think the school spends too much money. It was a good production. You could see the direction that the university is going to produce content for the ACC Network, which will produce more money for the university. If you go to the AD website you can now see a Athletics Production/ACC Network department listed. Money is being spent and invested in SU athletics.

Never once did I say anything of the sort, especially about picking and choosing sports to spend money on. I think they should spend more on everything, period. Compete to win, do I think Football, Basketball (Men's and Women's) and lax should get priority, absolutely. That doesn't mean that other sports should wither on the vine. Always compete and spend to be competitive. If we have a tiddly winks team we should always aim to be competitive and spend accordingly.

When the revenue sports are earning, everyone wins including volleyball and tiddly winks.

I don't see blaming but rather a discussion on how funds are distributed. If it's boring you can always put the thread on ignore.
I like the back and forth discussion for what it;s worth. Even though the reality of the lack of funds is frustrating to us non billionaires.

Whoever said the state wanted to wait until Minor was gone is on to something. They do have the money now as some were told just 2 days ago, but the University lost two new schools, one To Binghamton( Nursing) and the Homeland Security went to the Rome Area ( MARCY).They really do need the footprint of the Dome if they want new schools on Campus and it's coming home to bite them in the Arse as their was lots of Federal and State funds they lost by not getting these new schools and the Academics knows....State fair is now the talk, but at the same time who knows.

They were a lot closer to building that 44,000 seat Arena with a retractable roof than what I was originally told. The state really wants a new Stadium for this region and they were more than happy to give the funds to make it happen. There was to be a PLA on it,but somehow Minor dug her heels in so deep over something more than what was really led on.

The Dome is not the only Athletic sports Facilities the ACC mandated by contract to upgrade....Oh and beer sales are going Bye-Bye as the ACC is claiming they are going to stick by some NCAA by-law to enforce that...I have no idea what that means.

If the state puts up a large portion of the funding no way are beer & wine sales going away. They're not going to give up the tax revenue and SU isn't going to let go of the cash flow. I see a retractable roof in the future before the loss of alcohol sales in the dome

Whoever said the state wanted to wait until Minor was gone is on to something. They do have the money now as some were told just 2 days ago, but the University lost two new schools, one To Binghamton( Nursing) and the Homeland Security went to the Rome Area ( MARCY).They really do need the footprint of the Dome if they want new schools on Campus and it's coming home to bite them in the Arse as their was lots of Federal and State funds they lost by not getting these new schools and the Academics knows...State fair is now the talk, but at the same time who knows.

They were a lot closer to building that 44,000 seat Arena with a retractable roof than what I was originally told. The state really wants a new Stadium for this region and they were more than happy to give the funds to make it happen. There was to be a PLA on it,but somehow Minor dug her heels in so deep over something more than what was really led on.

The Dome is not the only Athletic sports Facilities the ACC mandated by contract to upgrade...Oh and beer sales are going Bye-Bye as the ACC is claiming they are going to stick by some NCAA by-law to enforce that...I have no idea what that means.
From what I was told if you want a new stadium you better hope for Walsh to win. I also don’t see it happening at the the fair. They are already planning on a new building. Don’t see room for a stadium after that goes up unless it’s near the amphitheater and I can’t see them taking parking spaces out.

How much is the Syracuse football program worth?

Syracuse dropped 11 spots in Brewer's calculations from last year, when the team was valued at $130.5 million. It's not clear why the Orange's valuation declined so sharply but the most obvious shift are some changes in revenue and expenses that generated less of a surplus.

In its most recent filing with the federal government through the Equity in Athlatics Disclosure Act , Syracuse reported making $38.1 million from its football program in 2015-16, while spending $23.2 million on football in 2015-16.

Much of that financial surplus generated goes toward supporting non-revenue sports, while the school's athletic department reported generating an $8.5 million surplus as a unit.
I have serious questions about their methodology.

Dome Reno. Nothing happens til after the election. There will be a big campaign, naming rights for things, etc. Done in phases won't lose any seasons.

Of course that could change...

Whoever said the state wanted to wait until Minor was gone is on to something. They do have the money now as some were told just 2 days ago, but the University lost two new schools, one To Binghamton( Nursing) and the Homeland Security went to the Rome Area ( MARCY).They really do need the footprint of the Dome if they want new schools on Campus and it's coming home to bite them in the Arse as their was lots of Federal and State funds they lost by not getting these new schools and the Academics knows...State fair is now the talk, but at the same time who knows.

The Dome is not the only Athletic sports Facilities the ACC mandated by contract to upgrade...Oh and beer sales are going Bye-Bye as the ACC is claiming they are going to stick by some NCAA by-law to enforce that...I have no idea what that means.
This sounds like a pretty good assessment. Miner has done almost nothing for this city. With the amount of money handed out by both state and federal government over the last few years I'm surprised more people aren't knocking down her door demanding answers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom