Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Someday we will look back fondly at the days when the Marshall St area was all one and two story buildings. They were/are kind of dumpy, and sometimes poorly maintained, but generations of SU students knew them that way and it was reassuring to see a big area near the campus that rarely changed.

I don't mind this building; even the height is reasonable for the area. But what is up with the use of gray and scarlet for part of the building?

It looks like an OSU alum helped finance it and insisted part of the building be built in his schools' colors. At least it doesn't look as though it was inspired by East German prisons.
It's not brutalist. But I think SU97inNJ could do better.

Someday we will look back fondly at the days when the Marshall St area was all one and two story buildings. They were/are kind of dumpy, and sometimes poorly maintained, but generations of SU students knew them that way and it was reassuring to see a big area near the campus that rarely changed.

I don't mind this building; even the height is reasonable for the area. But what is up with the use of gray and scarlet for part of the building?

It looks like an OSU alum helped finance it and insisted part of the building be built in his schools' colors. At least it doesn't look as though it was inspired by East German prisons.
Between this new building and the IVMF, Marshall Street is about to feel very different. I know I have mentioned this before, but, from chatting with the Chancellor and those around the framework plan, the idea was universally shared that Marshall Street was not up to "suitable," standards and soured the natural entryway to the university. Not much the school could do directly, but, projects like the one bees noted above, fall in line with what I think they are hoping causes more transformation. Kind of a bummer if it forces the street to lose some of its' charm, but, progress and change are inevitable.

Given they called it Marsh All I would’ve figured it’d be wrapped in a pbr label

And the once Red Barn next door. Now you know how old I am.
i loved the red barn chicken was always a stop for me before heading to walnut park after the games, great times and the some of the frats and sororities had home made signs and live bands on the porches---place was crowded

Well said. At this rate, SU won't be recognizable to even the more recent classes that graduated.

Between this new building and the IVMF, Marshall Street is about to feel very different. I know I have mentioned this before, but, from chatting with the Chancellor and those around the framework plan, the idea was universally shared that Marshall Street was not up to "suitable," standards and soured the natural entryway to the university. Not much the school could do directly, but, projects like the one bees noted above, fall in line with what I think they are hoping causes more transformation. Kind of a bummer if it forces the street to lose some of its' charm, but, progress and change are inevitable.
I hope the Chancellor does the same thing with the partiers giving SU it's infamous #1 ranking. Nothing wrong with having fun in college, but when the student section's empty and there are 17 year olds binge drinking on the roof of a house ... we might be in need of an upgrade (without losing the charm, of course).

Look I spent my fair share of time there but Marshall Street is a shiphole. There’s a reason toward the end people gravitate towards Armory. Good riddance
I agree. It's the time of their lives they're looking back on, not the beautiful architecture of Marshal Street. ;) Change is good here.

I agree. It's the time of their lives they're looking back on, not the beautiful architecture of Marshal Street. ;) Change is good here.
It's good and needed. In the dog eat dog world of NE college hierarchy, where the winters are cold, and the youthful population seeks the southern/western sun, it's essential to keep the mouse trap stocked with all the toys. Especially when you are subtly trying to deflect attention away from the 50k tuition and below 60 rating of your school. Better amenities is costly, and the academics scoff at it, but you need to sell your school.

It's good and needed. In the dog eat dog world of NE college hierarchy, where the winters are cold, and the youthful population seeks the southern/western sun, it's essential to keep the mouse trap stocked with all the toys. Especially when you are subtly trying to deflect attention away from the 50k tuition and below 60 rating of your school. Better amenities is costly, and the academics scoff at it, but you need to sell your school.
There's low-hanging fruit to improve the rating. They're addressing the percentage of alumni giving with the Boost Cuse initiative. I think the student center's in planning stages. Certainly, LA admissions standards have to be considered, even at the expense of numbers. Not all the students need to be chemistry nerds. But they shouldn't be posturing as binge-partiers either. We've developed a reputation that isn't going to be easy to shed unless we can attract more serious students. The U's doing a great job (IMO) with the physical campus. I like the new plan, but they need to get the Dome reno going to recapture the momentum they established with the Campus Framework.

Last edited:
In case you've missed it, here is what is being built in the now torn down alley way off Marshall st where chucks, funkin waffles etc were.

6 floors of student apartments and shops and restaurants on the first floor.

View attachment 113328

Is this an actual photo or just a rendering? The construction can't possibly be this far along can it?

Is this an actual photo or just a rendering? The construction can't possibly be this far along can it?

A rendering. The land has been demolished and cleared so far.

Look I spent my fair share of time there but Marshall Street is a shiphole. There’s a reason toward the end people gravitate towards Armory. Good riddance

What people? Maybe if you're a beer snob or just want a quiet night at the bar. Most stay/-ed on the Hill and Marshall. Now that most of those establishments are gone with the exception of a couple, people are going to be forced to go down there.

I liked going to Acropolis for a slice or a beef patty with cheese when I wanted something late and Kimmel had already closed or I didn't feel like ordering in. Shiphole's like Marshall is what helps make a campus.

There's low-hanging fruit to improve the rating. They're addressing the percentage of alumni giving with the Boost Cuse initiative. I think the student center's in planning stages. Certainly, LA admissions standards have to be considered, even at the expense of numbers. Not all the students need to be chemistry nerds. But they shouldn't be posturing as binge-partiers either. We've developed a reputation that isn't going to be easy to shed unless we can attract more serious students. The U's doing a great job (IMO) with the physical campus. I like the new plan, but they need to get the Dome reno going to recapture the momentum they established with the Campus Framework.
Class of 2017 admitted numbers are up quite a bit. Doing college fairs with admissions this week. We are quoting 1250 as the mean SAT right now. Newhouse, and some other schools 1350. I was at a breakfast with the Chancellor a couple of weeks ago, and while I do not remember the exact numbers he showed us, they made a nice jump this year. Also what was said above with fundraising as a means to improve our rankings is an emphasis. Also they have analyzed how to best boost our rankings and have a pretty good hold now on what was not done in the past, and how to correct this moving forward. Part of what the chancellor said was that they did not pay enough attention to the schools ranked lower than us who were passing us, and how they were doing that. Now they are looking both ways in figuring this out. This is definitely a top priority right now.

Class of 2017 admitted numbers are up quite a bit. Doing college fairs with admissions this week. We are quoting 1250 as the mean SAT right now. Newhouse, and some other schools 1350. I was at a breakfast with the Chancellor a couple of weeks ago, and while I do not remember the exact numbers he showed us, they made a nice jump this year. Also what was said above with fundraising as a means to improve our rankings is an emphasis. Also they have analyzed how to best boost our rankings and have a pretty good hold now on what was not done in the past, and how to correct this moving forward. Part of what the chancellor said was that they did not pay enough attention to the schools ranked lower than us who were passing us, and how they were doing that. Now they are looking both ways in figuring this out. This is definitely a top priority right now.
Agree 100%. It's a shame that Queen Nancy didn't give a damn about the academic reputation. She just wanted to hold hands with the community and sing "Kumbaya."

Agree 100%. It's a shame that Queen Nancy didn't give a damn about the academic reputation. She just wanted to hold hands with the community and sing "Kumbaya."

Clearly the academic reputation took a hit under Cantor, but I don't necessarily agree with your blunt assessment of why. It was a little more complicated than that, and SU trying to be a better community partner isn't exactly a bad thing and is still something that should be pursued.

There was a reason why Cantor did what she did in regards to integrating the university with the city/community... I'm not defending it, I think the idea was there, the execution was not...

Anyways, she did what she did because one of the first things she did when she got here was to hold focus groups with CEO and business owners of company's located in downtown Syracuse. I was part of the focus group and the common theme was that the university was separate, seemingly like on an island than the rest of downtown. There was no cohesion. There was no cohesion. To fix that? You see the Westside Initiative, The Warehouse, The Connective Corridor etc...

That said, I like the direction the university is taking right now. Fix the academic rankings. With 81 possibly coming down, there will be an opportunity to connect university hill to the rest of downtown in a way we have never seen before.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not saying I agree with all the methodologies used by the ranking magazines. They're facile metrics ... oversimplified, biased, arbitrary and inaccurate. Problem is, they're in popular media and people read them. It's the same with the party ranking .. old, distorted numbers, etc... but again, they're out there. So I'm glad the administration's finally paying attention. They need to work on the law school ... which I think is significantly under-ranked despite a SOA ($100M) facility. Something's wrong there.

Last edited:

Agreed. It should not be rocket science to have orange and blue instead of red and gray. Heck I would even take orange and gray to match our unis :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom