Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

FWIW, SU and the BOT has approved the renovation of archbold gym to a new student health and wellness center. I’ll leave out the name of the person who made the major gift to make it possible until it’s made public.
I would think the Archbold formal announcement needed to be green lighted before any additional steps were announced for the Dome renovation. So this might be significant.

Or perhaps not.

Hopefully the election of Ben Walsh will help get the Dome renovation done.
Can someone provide the why and how this mayor helps get the Dome renovation done? Aside from him being a fan. Thanks

Can someone provide the why and how this mayor helps get the Dome renovation done? Aside from him being a fan. Thanks
Someone who is more tapped in to local politics could answer this better than me but I think people are saying it in this thread because, aside from being a huge fan of Syracuse sports, Ben has a reputation as someone who gets things done. He has good relationships with many movers and shakers in both parties and with some of the big developers in CNY.

Can Ben Walsh play nice with Junior Cuomo?

The answer I think is as Tom suggested above, as well as what Maxwell is alluding to here. Bit of wishful thinking in my opinion, in that regardless of how well our new Mayor can work with Albany, funds must become available. That ship might have sailed. There is also the hope that a clean slate might reinvigorate new players. Nothing is a certainty however, and SU should continue to push forward for donations. Too bad our Saudi connection just got arrested. Perhaps, he was looking to unload a few billion before it got lost.

Bit of wishful thinking in my opinion, in that regardless of how well our new Mayor can work with Albany, funds must become available
Money can always be made available. Overall, there is a tremendous amount of money out there looking for something to finance. How the financing gets done is just politics. I do think if Walsh supports the community grid version of the I-81 project, he can leverage that into a complete renovation of the area and include a dome renovation (or a new arena).

My two cents (worth about two cents): it doesn't.

He's got a development rep because his campaign got a ton of contributions from local developers who liked his work on development under a mayor who, according to popular legend, is anti-development. Make sense?

Maybe Cuomo wants to throw state money at a private university to renovate a stadium. Seems unlikely, but he's not real miserly with the state's money as he looks to buy votes for a future run at federal office. If that's the case, and the city is also involved, having a mayor who's not mortal enemies with the governor would be an asset.

how do you do this Arch thing without the Dome thing right next door getting done? isnt that a pretty tight project and one effects the other pretty closely?

how do you do this Arch thing without the Dome thing right next door getting done? isnt that a pretty tight project and one effects the other pretty closely?

One has sufficient donor funding, the other doesn’t?

Agree. If Project A and Project B are announced at the same time and said to be closely tied to each other, and Project A gets formal approval to be implemented, it is a good sign that Project B might also move forward. At some point. Someday.

Someone who is more tapped in to local politics could answer this better than me but I think people are saying it in this thread because, aside from being a huge fan of Syracuse sports, Ben has a reputation as someone who gets things done. He has good relationships with many movers and shakers in both parties and with some of the big developers in CNY.
If Ben an INDEPENDENT and SU fan cant help ill be shocked

Jamesville couple donates $8M to Upstate for neuroscience complex

Not exactly on campus, but close by. He's also a lifetime member of the Syracuse board of trustees. Anyone know where this building will be located? Is it in the parking lot across the street from Upstate and adjacent to 81?

Edit - got my answer from the SUNY Upstate website:

Where will this new center be located?

This new building will be added to the Upstate Campus, on E. Adams St. directly across from the Cancer Center.

Professional Athlete Alums Offer ADs Unique Opportunities - CollegeAD

"However, many of the schools that have pro alums are not taking advantage of the affiliation. According to SoonerSports.com, only six active NBA players have their names on a college court or building thanks to donations. While this is not to say athletes aren’t giving to their schools, it is surprising more universities aren’t reaping the secondary benefits of putting famous names on their facilities."

Thank you Melo.

has SU released how they got to these numbers? I"m sure there are any number of formulas that can be applied, curious as to what they used or how they got to their number. IF SU needs to demonstrate their economic impact on the area our elected officials need more help than I thought.

The article says they commissioned reports from 2 private companies.

Well, isn't his claim to fame really just the renovation of the Hotel Syracuse? I'm not aware of any other big projects that he was behind.

Well, isn't his claim to fame really just the renovation of the Hotel Syracuse? I'm not aware of any other big projects that he was behind.
and I would be interested to dig into the real numbers on how that hotel is performing. Great that it was saved and open but can it stay saved and open...

I am not a close follower of these things but my understanding is that he was a key player in the establishment of the Land Bank and the development of the Inner Harbor.

Also, I think characterizing the Hotel Syracuse rebirth as 'just the renovation of the Hotel Syracuse' is not very informed or fair. The city has tried to get that hotel, such a key part of downtown Syracuse, renovated for many years with little or no success. How many people swung and missed before this happened?

The renovation was hugely successful. The hotel is already expanding because demand for its rooms is so high. The developer is being asked to lead similar renovation efforts in other cities. The city just landed a major convention with a three year commitment in large part because of the hotel.

Have you been to the hotel post renovation? This was a huge win for the city. Other development in the area has already started or been announced based on the enormous success of the hotel renovation project. It took an eyesore and made it into a huge asset for the city.

What Ben Walsh's 6 years at Syracuse City Hall say about his potential as mayor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom