Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

What does Syracuse University do for Central New York's economy?

Curious timing of this release. Hopefully lays the groundwork for state funding.

Nothing coincidental about this...clearly orchestrated in my view. But I say, good for them to get this out at such a critical time. If Syracuse University and its hospitals weren't present, imo, today the area would be on the same plane as Utica, Binghamton, Watertown, etc.

Nothing coincidental about this...clearly orchestrated in my view. But I say, good for them to get this out at such a critical time. If Syracuse University and its hospitals weren't present, imo, today the area would be on the same plane as Utica, Binghamton, Watertown, etc.
You clearly haven't been to Watertown lately. It's coming back stronger then ever. Lots of new buildings and roads. Fort drum has invigorated life back into that city.

has SU released how they got to these numbers? I"m sure there are any number of formulas that can be applied, curious as to what they used or how they got to their number. IF SU needs to demonstrate their economic impact on the area our elected officials need more help than I thought.

Not sure if you meant SU's hospitals, or just the hospitals in general. SU has no hospital affiliations.

Between this new building and the IVMF, Marshall Street is about to feel very different. I know I have mentioned this before, but, from chatting with the Chancellor and those around the framework plan, the idea was universally shared that Marshall Street was not up to "suitable," standards and soured the natural entryway to the university. Not much the school could do directly, but, projects like the one bees noted above, fall in line with what I think they are hoping causes more transformation. Kind of a bummer if it forces the street to lose some of its' charm, but, progress and change are inevitable.
Not sure that it is progress. It is change.

You clearly haven't been to Watertown lately. It's coming back stronger then ever. Lots of new buildings and roads. Fort drum has invigorated life back into that city.

No I haven't, I only drove through it a couple of years ago when I stayed up at by buds summer camp on Wellesley's/1000 Islands for a bit. That's good to hear though. It's still Watertown...can't get away from 'town' distinction vs. that of a city (by definition). Syracuse today would likely be no more than a town, if not for the university. ;)

Not sure that it is progress. It is change.
Certainly worthy of a discussion. That said, I think a major investment in our veterans, which creates a cutting edge facility on SU's campus is progress. The Marshall development is the opposite. More than likely a cheap way for non-CNY residents/owners to make money off SU students.

Not sure you read the article. Here is an excerpt:
“This was an affiliation waiting to happen,” said Laura Schweitzer, Ph.D., who serves as vice president for academic affairs at SUNY Upstate and as vice provost for academic affairs and health liaison at SU. “It’s a natural partnership, not simply because we’re neighbors, but because both institutions-through the coordination of academic programs, faculty and administrative interactions and curricular exchanges-can create outstanding and challenging educational opportunities for our students.”

It's an affiliation in respect to a degree tract or tracts. Le Moyne has similar affiliations with the iSchool and the College of Law at SU, but they are quite obviously distinct and separate institutions.

Marshall Street is a dump in its current state. Almost an embarrassment. I’m looking forward to the upgrade. And the modern student apartments are the new normal on most major campuses these days.

Not sure you understand my point. The OP referred to SU's hospitals. SU currently has no hospitals. It may have affiliations. Those are 2 different things.

Walsh is hosting a rally at the Palace Theater on Sunday. Forecast is for rain. No college football games. No leaves to rake. Get your butts there.

Not sure you understand my point. The OP referred to SU's hospitals. SU currently has no hospitals. It may have affiliations. Those are 2 different things.
If you look at your post, it says 'SU has no hospital affiliations'.

No worries, just wanted people to know that wasn't true; SU does have affiliations.

FWIW, SU and the BOT has approved the renovation of archbold gym to a new student health and wellness center. I’ll leave out the name of the person who made the major gift to make it possible until it’s made public.

FWIW, SU and the BOT has approved the renovation of archbold gym to a new student health and wellness center. I’ll leave out the name of the person who made the major gift to make it possible until it’s made public.

Wasn't that revealed months ago?

Hasn't that been public for months? I won't say who because I don't want to steal your thunder.

Is there still a possibility the 2nd floor patio be built into the building to attach to the Dome in the future?

Haven’t heard any more about that since it was first proposed. So I can’t say yes or no right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom