Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

8C6DA3BE-2CEB-48EF-B527-B779BA569DA6.jpeg
How about a Smart Board? ;-)

They can borrow mine if they’d like.

IMHO SHoP doesn't do conservative, cost conscious interiors projects, nor do they really do classroom environments. They should do the core and shell and run away. I would save the school money and may produce a better outcome.
Edit *It would save money. I’m conceited, but not that bad. Actually, I bet I am cheaper than SHoP

Last edited:

Not much new.
The D.O.: What’s on your agenda for the next couple of years?

J.W.: There’s a number of things we want to do. The good news, there was a lot already in good shape. Our biggest upside is football. It’s incumbent on me and my staff to give Babers the time he needs to turn the football program around. We want to compete at the highest level. Are we putting enough resources behind them so they can compete at an ACC championship level? That’s what we’re here to do.

The D.O.: Can you provide an update on the status of a possible naming rights deal for the Dome?

J.W.: It’s premature at this point to get into that until we have a better sense of what we know what the renovation would include.

The D.O.: Maybe the Wegmans Dome?

J.W.: I am a big Wegmans fan. That place is amazing. Great brand. They have great equity with their consumers. I have great admiration with them. We used to miss it when we’d go back to Connecticut for the school year. Now we get to go 12 months of the year.

The D.O.: As far as upgrading facilities, what sort of update can you give? Could we expect any new upgrades soon?

J.W.: We made some modest modifications to softball this year, part of which is to get ready for the launch of the ACC Network in 2019. We really need to work on more of a holistic plan at some point for renovations. We’ve always got our eye on our facilities and what we can do to enhance them because that’s clearly an important element.

The D.O.: Speaking of the ACC Network, what update can you give there? What are you most excited about with its launch?

J.W.: ESPN was the partner with the network. They have to go out and get the network cleared and get the network distributed. They’re going to put their horsepower behind that. What really excites me is the opportunity it’s providing kids in Newhouse to get involved in live events sporting production. We’re doing that now. Which is great. It’s a tremendous hands-on experience for Newhouse kids. I look forward to expanding on that.

Not much new.
The D.O.: What’s on your agenda for the next couple of years?

J.W.: There’s a number of things we want to do. The good news, there was a lot already in good shape. Our biggest upside is football. It’s incumbent on me and my staff to give Babers the time he needs to turn the football program around. We want to compete at the highest level. Are we putting enough resources behind them so they can compete at an ACC championship level? That’s what we’re here to do.

The D.O.: Can you provide an update on the status of a possible naming rights deal for the Dome?

J.W.: It’s premature at this point to get into that until we have a better sense of what we know what the renovation would include.

The D.O.: Maybe the Wegmans Dome?

J.W.: I am a big Wegmans fan. That place is amazing. Great brand. They have great equity with their consumers. I have great admiration with them. We used to miss it when we’d go back to Connecticut for the school year. Now we get to go 12 months of the year.

The D.O.: As far as upgrading facilities, what sort of update can you give? Could we expect any new upgrades soon?

J.W.: We made some modest modifications to softball this year, part of which is to get ready for the launch of the ACC Network in 2019. We really need to work on more of a holistic plan at some point for renovations. We’ve always got our eye on our facilities and what we can do to enhance them because that’s clearly an important element.

The D.O.: Speaking of the ACC Network, what update can you give there? What are you most excited about with its launch?

J.W.: ESPN was the partner with the network. They have to go out and get the network cleared and get the network distributed. They’re going to put their horsepower behind that. What really excites me is the opportunity it’s providing kids in Newhouse to get involved in live events sporting production. We’re doing that now. Which is great. It’s a tremendous hands-on experience for Newhouse kids. I look forward to expanding on that.
I have been expecting an announcement by SU of a major project to build studios/buy equipment in preparation for the coming ACC network for some time. Most ACC schools announced initiatives some time ago. Most built them in their football or basketball facilities.

If John was going to make a splashy announcement, he surely would have alluded to it here. Maybe thry have quietly built studios, run fiber, and done everything else required by the ACC? It sounds like John was alluding to a fiber run to the out of the way softball field here. Fiber runs to sports facilities are something all the ACC schools seem to be doing...

with the new microsoft initiative to build wireless high speed networks maybe they should partner there and remove the cost of fiber and support?

I have been expecting an announcement by SU of a major project to build studios/buy equipment in preparation for the coming ACC network for some time. Most ACC schools announced initiatives some time ago. Most built them in their football or basketball facilities.

If John was going to make a splashy announcement, he surely would have alluded to it here. Maybe thry have quietly built studios, run fiber, and done everything else required by the ACC? It sounds like John was alluding to a fiber run to the out of the way softball field here. Fiber runs to sports facilities are something all the ACC schools seem to be doing...
I'd have to go back and look but I believe in some of the posted construction projects across campus there were some listed about running fiber. As for new studios SU already has existing studios that they are already using for broadcasting ACC Network games. I don't think there is going to be a new studio constructed as there is really no need to have one in the facility. We are ahead of the game with our Newhouse facilities.
Newhouse Studio & Innovation Center | Newhouse School | Syracuse University - Syracuse University

I'd have to go back and look but I believe in some of the posted construction projects across campus there were some listed about running fiber. As for new studios SU already has existing studios that they are already using for broadcasting ACC Network games. I don't think there is going to be a new studio constructed as there is really no need to have one in the facility. We are ahead of the game with our Newhouse facilities.
Newhouse Studio & Innovation Center | Newhouse School | Syracuse University - Syracuse University
You are correct CL. There was an announcement several months back about fiber cables being installed and Newhouse will host all studio efforts. The hiring of the recent production professionals may have noted this as well

I don’t know this professor, and while I agree with her assessment of the bidding process, and that drawings should be available, it is a private institution. I don’t agree one bit that employees, or the current pool users, about 10% of enrollment and not all students by her own inclusion, should somehow have some sort of veto power, especially if there is another facility! Perhaps this new facility will draw 10,000 a month. Perhaps it is intended for a post exercise cool down. This is strange sour grapes, and exemplary of some of the political problems on the hill. Glad to hear the design elements that came in this story.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the design elements that came in this story.
I agree, it is good to hear about these elements. I do wonder why they would get rid of a "regulation" size pool? I know we haven't had a swim team for a long time now, but there has to be a decent number of students (and staff) who swam in HS and want to go tongue to do so or those that want to just to keep fit. It is an excellent form of exercise. Why force them elsewhere?

I agree, it is good to hear about these elements. I do wonder why they would get rid of a "regulation" size pool? I know we haven't had a swim team for a long time now, but there has to be a decent number of students (and staff) who swam in HS and want to go tongue to do so or those that want to just to keep fit. It is an excellent form of exercise. Why force them elsewhere?
There will still be three lanes available for laps and there is another pool, Sibley Pool in the Women’s Building. I think this is more of a case that you can never make everyone happy.

I know nothing about swimming regulation and whatnot, but I'm just laughing to myself about a made up scenario that the professor doesn't want to swim an extra 25 ft per lap and that's why she's complaining. "They are throwing off my lap count damnit!"

I agree, and maybe some of this is my bias for serious sports and against silly toys. But it diminishes the university's physical assets to lose a regulation pool

Has there ever been a more useless invention?
If you actually take the effort to master the features...it is actually very good. A ton of functionality.

I don’t know this professor, and while I agree with her assessment of the bidding process, and that drawings should be available, it is a private institution. I don’t agree one bit that employees, or the current pool users, about 10% of enrollment and not all students by her own inclusion, should somehow have some sort of veto power, especially if there is another facility! Perhaps this new facility will draw 10,000 a month. Perhaps it is intended for a post exercise cool down. This is strange sour grapes, and exemplary of some of the political problems on the hill. Glad to hear the design elements that came in this story.

With that said, she has a great point. I could see if the numbers surrounding pool usage were low, but 2200 unique monthly users (staff included) is a lot more than I expected. Yes, there will be a regulation sized pool in the Women's Building, but after a long day of classes (attending or teaching) and/or working out, the last thing you want to do is walk to the Women's Building for a swim; especially during the Winter.

Agree ... "waterpark" sounds pretty millennial. No doubt many of them would like to lay around and watch more TV - but that shouldn't trump lap lanes.

Last edited:
Agree ... "waterpark" sounds pretty millennial. No doubt many of them would like to lay around and watch more TV - but that shouldn't trump lap lanes.

Exactly - what's SU in the business of? Education and building better humans, I thought.

Exercise (including swimming) is a virtuous activity. It belongs in a gym. Sitting on your a-- in pool of water is not, and it doesn't.

Rock climbing and some of these other active diversions purchased as part of this arms race are one thing. Axing a legitimate sporting opportunity in favor of (what is the point of this, exactly?) is antithetical to what higher ed is supposed to be all about.

Exactly - what's SU in the business of? Education and building better humans, I thought.

Exercise (including swimming) is a virtuous activity. It belongs in a gym. Sitting on your a-- in pool of water is not, and it doesn't.

Rock climbing and some of these other active diversions purchased as part of this arms race are one thing. Axing a legitimate sporting opportunity in favor of (what is the point of this, exactly?) is antithetical to what higher ed is supposed to be all about.
No offense but aren't some of you assuming that this professors description of what is going to happen with this pool is correct. There are other forms of exercise that can be done in a pool besides laps... water aerobics come to mind.

I agree, and maybe some of this is my bias for serious sports and against silly toys. But it diminishes the university's physical assets to lose a regulation pool
Bring back Syracuse varsity swim. My son’s a D1 caliber HS swimmer in California but won’t consider SU bc there is no team. Instead he’s looking at BC, Georgetown (ugh) and a few Ivy’s.

Bring back Syracuse varsity swim. My son’s a D1 caliber HS swimmer in California but won’t consider SU bc there is no team. Instead he’s looking at BC, Georgetown (ugh) and a few Ivy’s.

All we need is a modern swimming and diving center. 50 meter pool with 10 lanes.

$15-20 million ought to do it.

No offense but aren't some of you assuming that this professors description of what is going to happen with this pool is correct. There are other forms of exercise that can be done in a pool besides laps... water aerobics come to mind.

I am assuming she's right, so maybe that's not the case. But lap space is at a premium on campus (to say nothing of the central location), so if it's true that they're losing that, it's a diminishment of what SU has been able to offer in the past. For millions of dollars, I'd like to think that they're always moving forward and improving upon what they've got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom