Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

RPI is in Troy. Cornell and Colgate are Syracuse "locals", and Clarkson, St Lawrence, and RIT are not far away.

Upstate NY is not Minnesota, but it can certainly handle the Frozen Four.
Also Union, located in Schenectady. Thry won a NC in 2014.

To further dispel the notion college hockey is a Midwestern thing, 7 of the last 10 national champs are from the Northeast.

A team from the Northeast has played in the NC final 8 of the past 10 years.

Only once in the past 10 years has the Northeast not placed at least 1 team in the Frozen Four.

Buffalo has hosted once and will again in 2019.

The Crunch are thriving in Syracuse, as are AHL franchises in nearby Utica, Binghamton and Rochester.

Lastly, the Crunch played a regular season game in the Dome a couple of years ago. Attendance was 30,715. No question this is a hockey town. No question there is strong interest in the sport here.

Syracuse Crunch pack record 30,715 into Carrier Dome for hockey game

NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Wikipedia

Last edited:
hockey is the reverse of bball.. in hockey a team can buy a regional and as a host they have to placed there if they make it.. with such poor attendance maybe bball rethinks some of this..

hockey is the reverse of bball.. in hockey a team can buy a regional and as a host they have to placed there if they make it.. with such poor attendance maybe bball rethinks some of this..
I don't think ncaa cares about hoops ticket sales. They don't appear to be worried about empty seats.

I don't think ncaa cares about hoops ticket sales. They don't appear to be worried about empty seats.
It's embarrassing. Yet if they held the games at other specific sites they would sell outs.

is playing at the dean dome any different than 15 miles away? same for SU.. playing at albany/buff or at home we travel. its not like many places could do it anyway.

I would love a frozen four but it would never happen. I’m in hockey country for the weekend and 3/4 of the people from Minnesota couldn’t find Syracuse on a map.
That's okay. Most of the people in NYC don't know that the USA exists west of the Hudson River. :rolling:

The NCAA has also said in the past that they prefer to host their championship events on college campuses and prefer to rotate the events to all areas of the country.

If the Dome was renovated and the field level was lowered, it would be possible to seat 50K for basketball, probably more, even if 6K of existing seats were lost as part of the renovation. It would offer most intimate and closest seating for fans of any domed stadium venue currently in the rotation.

I would hope the NCAA would give a waiver on seating capacity to make the event more accessible for the most populated area in the country, to give fans who attend a chance to actually see the game and to get it hosted on a college campus again.

Let's get a renovation going first though, maybe host some smaller big events and see where things stand then.
How does having fewer seats equal more availability of seats?:confused:

C24BE426-EAE4-44C8-BC53-1B1F78FBD821.jpeg
How does having fewer seats equal more availability of seats?:confused:
When a Dome hosts the final four, they build custom seating for the lower level that goes all the way down to the court. Thry call this ‘in the round’ seating. You can fit thousands of additional seats using this method. Imagine the court at the 50 yard line with stands going uninterrupted from the top of the first level to the court.

This is how The Alamodome, which normally has a capacity of 65,000, will have 72,000 for the Final Four this year.

Colonnade helps NCAA answer Final Four capacity questions

Last edited:
i wonder what the cost of this extra seating is? fball ends around nov 25th.. lax started feb 9th. thats 10 games where you could potentially sell some tickets with much better seating than the long range seats..

you have the issue of lax getting into the dome but with the IPF is that really that big a deal? in any given year 7-10 games could be played with special seating. maybe it doesnt sell more tickets but maybe it would worth looking into?

i wonder what the cost of this extra seating is? fball ends around nov 25th.. lax started feb 9th. thats 10 games where you could potentially sell some tickets with much better seating than the long range seats..

you have the issue of lax getting into the dome but with the IPF is that really that big a deal? in any given year 7-10 games could be played with special seating. maybe it doesnt sell more tickets but maybe it would worth looking into?

There isn't room for any seating in the IPF.

There isn't room for any seating in the IPF.
I think the question was about hoops games. The IPF enables the lax squad to practice there instead of needing half or all of the Dome, so the court and special seating can be in place for that month and a half or so of hoops season, until lax season needs the Dome for games.

Sorry if you understood that or if I misinterpreted the original thought from upperdeck

It’s a great thought but not at the 50 yard line. 20,000 in a place that suddenly holds 45,000 or whatever would not look good. For a final four that’s different.

I’d try to get more seats where the curtain used to be. Add 5k good premium seats there and you’ll have demand.

That's okay. Most of the people in NYC don't know that the USA exists west of the Hudson River. :rolling:
You're clearly not a Giants/Jets fan.

These are funny. I guess IVMF's comms (and development, I assume) people are diligent about trying to maintain a buzz, gotta give them that.

'Look, a rendering of a classroom interior! It's got a drop ceiling and fluorescent strip lighting! What'll they think of next?'
How about a Smart Board? ;-)

These are funny. I guess IVMF's comms (and development, I assume) people are diligent about trying to maintain a buzz, gotta give them that.

'Look, a rendering of a classroom interior! It's got a drop ceiling and fluorescent strip lighting! What'll they think of next?'
Windows!

The people in military uniforms let you know it's for military veterans. Helpful!

Windows!

I can't wait to see SHoP's next rendering of a couple urinals in front of a tile wall.

Or maybe they'll make headlines with a trough?

I can't wait to see SHoP's next rendering of a couple urinals in front of a tile wall.

Or maybe they'll make headlines with a trough?
Cuse is a trough town!

I am glad they are doing something but agree the visuals are not the kind that will generate excitement. They need to show some unique aspects to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom