Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Agree about the scoreboard. The movable scoreboard mounted in the middle of the roof was a key deliverable from day one for the renovation. They can't even hang a few speakers well with the air supported roof.

Agree that they are not even close to raising $118 million. Surely the fund raising will start in earnest soon. Hope the state and county are willing to chip in some money. Hope some big donors step up and I hope they target all supporters of the university sports programs this time.

If you are a Syracuse fan and you care about the sports programs, now is a good time to step up and make a contribution. If you don't have money to do that, it would be great if you could buy season tickets, or if you can't afford that, just buy tickets to the games you can afford to go to.

Send a message. Tell the university you support the sports programs with your wallet or purse!

They must have some money set aside, or at the very least assurances. We are being told that the funds are there and already allocated for lighting.

They must have some money set aside, or at the very least assurances. We are being told that the funds are there and already allocated for lighting.
True. The presser said some of the money is coming from university reserves. That is available today. Some is coming from fundraising and some will be borrowed.

Maybe they have raised some money already. Clearly not $118 million worth. It took them years to raise around less than one tenth of that for the IPF.

Was this pre- or post-acquisition by Eaton? Does Eaton/Crouse-Hinds already have a box at the Dome?

That's a good question. It was 2015 so possibly pre? I would think they'd do more since they're local and the most recognizable sports arena in upstate NY is 2 miles away from them and they're not in bed yet. We shall see. I trust Pete on this

Those are sinks? I thought they were large drinking fountains.
And I thought they were auxiliary pee troughs. No wonder I got such strange looks when I tried to use them!

Ephesus was ready to buy a box to do the lighting lol so I have a feeling it'll be them. I'm sure Musco would be great too - whomever gives 'Cuse the best for the least - wins
as well they should be willing to do that to keep this in their wheelhouse. We have already done the IPF and are also doing soccer, softball and field hockey fields. So, clearly they need to do a better job selling projects in Syracuse, lol. I am just kidding, while of course I would like it to be use for selfish reasons (I will find my way onto the project somehow someway...lol just so that I can go) but LED's are awesome. If Ephesus can do a good job than so be it.

It will be a mostly downward force and if the roof sheds snow as it should, it will only need to support its own weight. The top of the steel structure (RandomGuy is right, this isn’t an architectural rendering) will be a compression ring the will take most of the roof’s downward force. The rest of the ring thickness will help disperse that load evenly. The key is to minimize the lateral forces pushing out. The ring will be wrapped or infilled with an architectural treatment that will need to let wind through so it doesn’t pick up a lateral wind load (the louvers RandomGuy mentions). The point of the ring structurally is almost exactly the same as the masts that are part of BC Place, the Millennium Dome, Denver International Airport, or the Olympic Stadium in Munich. A firm I worked at right out of school did one of the first fabric structures in the US for the NJ pavilion at the ‘64 World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows (long before my time there) and a later firm I worked for was part of the BC Place team. What’s funny to me is there was a lot of joking about the Duomo in Florence, and there are some very real structural similarities.
Google Image Result for https://data.epo.org/publication-server/image?imageName=imgaf001&docId=14420054
Google Image Result for http://www.civilengineeringx.com/building/structural/FIGURE-8.32-Cable-roofs.-a-Cable-stayed-cantilever-roof.jpg
The Carrier Duomo

Let's do it

Ephesus was ready to buy a box to do the lighting lol so I have a feeling it'll be them. I'm sure Musco would be great too - whomever gives 'Cuse the best for the least - wins
Hope they get the absolute best.. No budget package. Almost silly to be talking about lights, but it can improve the fan experience. More importantly, if they can blow some recruits minds... An improved product on the field, will further enhance the fan experience... = $$$.. All for some pretty little lights that turn on and off.. Because NO ONE else can.

as well they should be willing to do that to keep this in their wheelhouse. We have already done the IPF and are also doing soccer, softball and field hockey fields. So, clearly they need to do a better job selling projects in Syracuse, lol. I am just kidding, while of course I would like it to be use for selfish reasons (I will find my way onto the project somehow someway...lol just so that I can go) but LED's are awesome. If Ephesus can do a good job than so be it.
A person relatively high up in the AD was recently asked about Ephesus and hadn't even heard of them. That tells me your company is well positioned to get this business.

A person relatively high up in the AD was recently asked about Ephesus and hadn't even heard of them. That tells me your company is well positioned to get this business.

That seems like more of an indictment on the person in the AD. Incomprehensible for someone in that position who has likely dealt with a number of projects related to stadium lighting and who I assume is involved in the Dome reno project to have never heard of them.

Pretty much everything I was told about the renovation was the stuff they decided.
I was told they wanted new video boards in the corners but the middle makes more sense.
It appears this AD is smartly only spending what the school has fundraised and not taking loans and spending more than we have. We have the TV money to spend more but have decided to be more fiscally responsible.
Sounds like the politically correct way to say that Syracuse did what they always do, cheaped out.

Was this pre- or post-acquisition by Eaton? Does Eaton/Crouse-Hinds already have a box at the Dome?
Ephesus was a small company before the buyout...not sure they would've done that. That said Eaton would be nuts not to do everything to win this contract. It would be the equivalent of Trane winning the HVAC contract over Carrier for the Dome. Eaton if smart goes to SU and asks them to use the Carrier Dome as a test bed for future sports lighting treatments. Crouse-Hinds and Ephesus (both Eaton companies) could provide quite a bit of the electrical luminaires and electrical product for the renovation.

If Musco does win...SU should name request GoCuse14 to be the on site rep.

That seems like more of an indictment on the person in the AD. Incomprehensible for someone in that position who has likely dealt with a number of projects related to stadium lighting and who I assume is involved in the Dome reno project to have never heard of them.

Agreed, because while we have done a very large amount of the projects on campus, Ephesus was always involved...

Ephesus was a small company before the buyout...not sure they would've done that. That said Eaton would be nuts not to do everything to win this contract. It would be the equivalent of Trane winning the HVAC contract over Carrier for the Dome. Eaton if smart goes to SU and asks them to use the Carrier Dome as a test bed for future sports lighting treatments. Crouse-Hinds and Ephesus (both Eaton companies) could provide quite a bit of the electrical luminaires and electrical product for the renovation.

I'm in!!!!

Yeah that's not a good look for the person in the AD. Regardless - this decision in lights and really all materials won't be done without research. Go with whatever gets you the best products

Agreed, because while we have done a very large amount of the projects on campus, Ephesus was always involved...
Involved? You mean as a subcontractor or as a bid competitor?

They were definitely a small company pre-buyout, but they did the Super Bowl lighting at University of Phoenix Stadium, among other major projects, before they were bought out. $22 million in sales the year before the buyout. Not a huge company, but seemingly large enough to afford a box at the Dome, especially if it were in exchange for business.

Sounds like the politically correct way to say that Syracuse did what they always do, cheaped out.
I gave you a "like" not for the comment but for lurking for 15 months and that being your first comment. Well Done! ;)

Seriously, welcome to non lurker side of commenting on threads...

Bid competitor. We do contract out installation, but not to competitors...lol.
Yeah...LOL

Why are all the LED SportsClusters the Ephesus guys wired up pointing the wrong way?

Probably an idiotic idea but I was thinking how great it would be to see 3D (halogram type) projections of our SU legends (Brown, Davis, Csonka, Mackey, Monk etc and Bing, Pearl, Sherman, Owens, DC etc) coming out on the court(field) during pregame before the team enters. Ok I’m probably hallucinating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom