Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

The projection system requires a light canvas to properly project. Could work for basketball but would be a total waste to install for football as you'd need a white sheet to cover the entire field to even try that. With the giant new scoreboard it's probably not necessary to get the projector system.

Not to mention the fact that a projection system is pretty cost prohibitive. It would definitely be very cool, but I'm not so sure the university would plan on budgeting for an expense like this that I would deem a luxury. Add on that it costs a considerable amount of money to produce/create each one of these projection shows, and it doesn't seem very feasible for an AD that seems to have had some trouble fundraising as it is.

Not to mention the fact that a projection system is pretty cost prohibitive. It would definitely be very cool, but I'm not so sure the university would plan on budgeting for an expense like this that I would deem a luxury. Add on that it costs a considerable amount of money to produce/create each one of these projection shows, and it doesn't seem very feasible for an AD that seems to have had some trouble fundraising as it is.
The AD already has videographers on staff. All those hype videos. And with the ACC channel there will have to be an upgrade in equipment in the Dome.

The projection system requires a light canvas to properly project. Could work for basketball but would be a total waste to install for football as you'd need a white sheet to cover the entire field to even try that. With the giant new scoreboard it's probably not necessary to get the projector system.
There's always the ceiling/roof;).

That seems feasible. They could have a crew the gets it off of the field after intros like when baseball teams cover the infield for a rain delay. If they could figure out a way to make it work, it would certainly set us apart.

This is what I was thinking but didn't know enough about to comment. A green field can't be conducive to this kind of display, but white ice is perfect.

This isn’t true, at least according to experts in this field (see below). I think the problem of ambient light is a bigger concern; don’t think it will be possible to do these in the renovated dome during g the day.

I think the only way buying and installing a 3D projection system for our Dome makes sense is if SU works with Quince, or competitors if they exist, to develop a formal course of study/curriculum on how to devel0p these presentations. Make Syracuse University the center of excellence in the world in this field. Then, the initial investment of $1 million or so could make a lot of sense. The students and professors could develop new shows as required.

This could differentiate Syracuse home games from our competitors. It could be a big deal for increasing attendance and helping recruiting.

Showtime: Turn Playing Surfaces into 3-D Video Boards - Athletic Business

By game time, actually pulling off the show is the easy part. With the media already created and everything tested, the operator presses “play,” and the show begins.

Application of this technology isn’t limited to basketball courts. Ice, grass, turf, even the side of a city building can all be turned into projection screens.

“Now, the lighter the color of the surface is, the better,” Williams says. “A football field is more of a challenge, but it’s certainly not something you can’t overcome.”

Then there’s the million-dollar question. Literally. There are a lot of costs involved to pull this off. In Quince Imaging’s business model, the customer pays Quince to rent the equipment involved. Each projector retails for $85,000-$90,000. Then there are the fiberoptic cables and media servers required to support the content. A typical show requires at least two servers, each costing about $75,000. Then there is the time required from Williams and his team. He says Cleveland’s show required about 500 hours of work.

While we couldn’t squeeze an exact price quote out of Williams, he did say this:

“The prices [on projection technology] continue to come down. And I know some teams spend up to $1,000,000 on lighting and special effects in their arenas and for about the same price, they could have something like this — so that gives you some clue as to the cost.”

For sports venues, Quince Imaging has mostly just done one-time productions. “A playoff series or something like that would be a good opportunity to do it on multiple occasions, but for the most part, these are one-time things right now,” Williams says.

The AD already has videographers on staff. All those hype videos. And with the ACC channel there will have to be an upgrade in equipment in the Dome.

The 3D projection systems are an entirely different beast. I can almost guarantee that SU has no one on staff who could produce one of those. I read an article on the Cavs system and a projection they ran prior to a playoff game last year. The article said that it took over 500 man hours just to produce that one 90 second show.

Edit - just saw that Tomcat posted an excerpt from the article that I was referencing.

It works on turf... With that price tag, I can see the University wait til the price comes down...I'll take the light show til then.(or be pleasantly surprised)

Last edited:
That looks like it works well for the height that that it is working at in the video. But the height from where the projectors will need to be in the dome are much much higher, plus the addition of light from the translucent portion of the dome will make this harder, no?

This isn’t true, at least according to experts in this field (see below). I think the problem of ambient light is a bigger concern; don’t think it will be possible to do these in the renovated dome during g the day.

I think the only way buying and installing a 3D projection system for our Dome makes sense is if SU works with Quince, or competitors if they exist, to develop a formal course of study/curriculum on how to devel0p these presentations. Make Syracuse University the center of excellence in the world in this field. Then, the initial investment of $1 million or so could make a lot of sense. The students and professors could develop new shows as required.

This could differentiate Syracuse home games from our competitors. It could be a big deal for increasing attendance and helping recruiting.

Showtime: Turn Playing Surfaces into 3-D Video Boards - Athletic Business

By game time, actually pulling off the show is the easy part. With the media already created and everything tested, the operator presses “play,” and the show begins.

Application of this technology isn’t limited to basketball courts. Ice, grass, turf, even the side of a city building can all be turned into projection screens.

“Now, the lighter the color of the surface is, the better,” Williams says. “A football field is more of a challenge, but it’s certainly not something you can’t overcome.”

Then there’s the million-dollar question. Literally. There are a lot of costs involved to pull this off. In Quince Imaging’s business model, the customer pays Quince to rent the equipment involved. Each projector retails for $85,000-$90,000. Then there are the fiberoptic cables and media servers required to support the content. A typical show requires at least two servers, each costing about $75,000. Then there is the time required from Williams and his team. He says Cleveland’s show required about 500 hours of work.

While we couldn’t squeeze an exact price quote out of Williams, he did say this:

“The prices [on projection technology] continue to come down. And I know some teams spend up to $1,000,000 on lighting and special effects in their arenas and for about the same price, they could have something like this — so that gives you some clue as to the cost.”

For sports venues, Quince Imaging has mostly just done one-time productions. “A playoff series or something like that would be a good opportunity to do it on multiple occasions, but for the most part, these are one-time things right now,” Williams says.

Might get me back into the Dome

Happy Days - more sunlight will be shining in the Dome. Post-roof structural work - including opening up the concourses - is on the menu:

Some additions the university want[sic] to integrate can't happen until the roof is replaced, which will allow structural changes, such as widened concourses, that open up more possibilities previously discussed as part of the project."That's key to what some of the further enhancements that are in this menu that we have of enhancements," Carrier Dome Managing Director Pete Sala said. "Once that happens, we can go back to some of the thing[sic] we saw earlier where there's much more daylighting into the facility, and we can actually move some of the walls."

How do Carrier Dome renovations compare to other schools' new or planned stadiums?

Last edited:
Always the glass half empty. How about waiting to see what we do instead of anticipating the worst?
This! Keep quiet with all your ideas until after everything is done. Then they're no longer ideas, just complaints.

This! Keep quiet with all your ideas until after everything is done. Then they're no longer ideas, just complaints.

There’s ideas. Then there’s complaining and anticipating the worse.

There’s ideas. Then there’s complaining and anticipating the worse.

The university brings some of this on itself. Those amateurish, ugly renderings can easily lead the casual viewer/reader to the conclusion that that is what we are going to end up with. Personally, I think things will look much better. I doubt SU will spend $100 million plus to erect a blight on the Syracuse skyline. For a lousy $10,000 the AD could have probably had some better quality renderings whipped up and avoided at least some of the criticism and complainimg that accompanies an announcement of anything new in the Syracuse area.

I'm not so sure the university would plan on budgeting for an expense like this that I would deem a luxury.
That's missing the point. Our return to national prominence would receive a great boost if we can differentiate ourselves from the competition. We'll never have the best facilities, tropical beaches, or night clubs... but we are the only P5 school that plays in an on-campus domed stadium. If we become known as that football school that does those fantastic light shows for ESPN Primetime night games -- that's priceless exposure. Have to think long-term. We're friggin newhouse, man.

I gotta say the amount of energy for light shows and holograms over seats and stuff is
surprising to me.
flat bleachers allow everyone else to adapt to the fat person

everyone else just adjusts and takes a little less room

with the curved backs, you can't do that because everyone has a sore back so the two people next to the fat person try to fold in half to not get sweat on all day

I gotta say the amount of energy for light shows and holograms over seats and stuff is
surprising to me.
Seatbacks are a win for some, a loss for others. It's not a unanimous benefit. A 3D projection light show on the other hand is a form of entertainment that you can't truly appreciate from your recliner at home. It's a huge deal.

That's missing the point. Our return to national prominence would receive a great boost if we can differentiate ourselves from the competition. We'll never have the best facilities, tropical beaches, or night clubs... but we are the only P5 school that plays in an on-campus domed stadium. If we become known as that football school that does those fantastic light shows for ESPN Primetime night games -- that's priceless exposure. Have to think long-term. We're friggin newhouse, man.
Yepp. For short $$, we can do something no one else can. Wow the recruits. Wow the fans, in their uncomfortable seats(for now)... It's just great that it's even a possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom