Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

So, I havent gotten anywhere as to how much this project could run. I was told that there are way too many variables from project to project to make an educated guess. Gun to my head, I think were lookin at around 250 LED fixtures...I’d say approx 2 mil in materials. At this time we do not have colored capabilities to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean that R & D isnt working on something to that effect...limited access to that area.

As I mentioned before Ephesus is putting on the full court press, this would be a huge project and foot in the door on campus. What I have been told about them is that there have been issues with their warranties with other places. I don't know details on that at all. They do have a colored fixture that’s new and they are pushing it. Paul Mahaney is a name that I have been told is the Senior Project Engineer for the University and he is pushing for Musco. So it sounds as though this is very much an ongoing bid process that could go either way.

Last edited:
I gotta say the amount of energy for light shows and holograms over seats and stuff is
surprising to me.
OTOH, recruits couldn't care less about seats and stuff. The cool stuff is where it's at. A Jim Brown hologram sitting next to a 5 star RB on a game day recruiting visit and watching the team enter to super cool light show. Not really kidding here.

So, I havent gotten anywhere as to how much this project could run. I was told that there are way too many variables from project to project to make an educated guess. Gun to my head, I think were lookin at around 250 LED fixtures...I’d say approx 2 mil in materials. At this time we do not have colored capabilities to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean that R & D isnt working on something to that effect...limited access to that area.

As I mentioned before Ephesus is putting on the full court press, this would be a huge project and foot in the door on campus. What I have been told about them is that there have been issues with their warranties with other places. I don't know details on that at all. They do have a colored fixture that’s new and they are pushing it. Paul Mahaney is a name that I have been told is the Senior Project Engineer for the University and he is pushing for Musco. So it sounds as though this is very much an ongoing bid process that could go either way.

IMO Colored lighting should be paramount. The last few pages are talking about full 3D projection, if we can't even change the LED color that would be a major disappointment.

IMO Colored lighting should be paramount. The last few pages are talking about full 3D projection, if we can't even change the LED color that would be a major disappointment.

I completely understand that. But there might be a reason one company that I know of is attempting it...and also willing to donate the entire project. Not a lot of comfort level there.

As long as the university gets it right, doesn’t matter to me.

The university brings some of this on itself. Those amateurish, ugly renderings can easily lead the casual viewer/reader to the conclusion that that is what we are going to end up with. Personally, I think things will look much better. I doubt SU will spend $100 million plus to erect a blight on the Syracuse skyline. For a lousy $10,000 the AD could have probably had some better quality renderings whipped up and avoided at least some of the criticism and complainimg that accompanies an announcement of anything new in the Syracuse area.
So SU is expected to make efficient use of it's money to upgrade facilities, and yet you want them to spend $10,000 to produce pictures that make you can feel better about what they're going to build? :bat:

So SU is expected to make efficient use of it's money to upgrade facilities, and yet you want them to spend $10,000 to produce pictures that make you can feel better about what they're going to build? :bat:

In defense of that poster, you may be missing that larger point. Most people are visual, and, a "picture paints a thousand words," or so the saying goes. If the university is expecting/anticipating donors to assist in this project, I think it likely behooves them by putting out a a visual that at least revs folks up a bit. That "structural" drawing released was abysmal to say the least and rather mickey mouse-ish. Just my opinion.

I mean...how can we expect a better rendering when they don’t even know who they are doing it for. Lol.

Attachments

• 36C19454-2615-4607-8DC0-28962802AD49.jpeg
    36C19454-2615-4607-8DC0-28962802AD49.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
chris carlson‏Verified account @ccarlsononSU 19m19 minutes ago
Wildhack on radio with Brent Axe: Says school will make sure vertically-hung scoreboard is out of Sterling Hofrichter's range.

Wildhack on radio with Brent Axe on look: Aesthetics. It is the landmark building in town. Not that it has to be consistent with current look but it has to look great. We want something that will stand out and make us proud.

Wildhack on Carrier and naming rights: That's independent from this. Honestly, I haven't spent one second on that.

Wildhack on with Brent Axe on seating: Among many items beyond 2022, seating is right there. It'll be at or near the list of things we want to do. There are things that work for football but might not for basketball, and vice versa.

Wildhack on with Brent Axe on luxury seating: It's on the menu. There's a lot that goes into a decision like that. It makes the most sense to do a top-down. That is the most efficient.

Yepp. For short $$, we can do something no one else can. Wow the recruits. Wow the fans, in their uncomfortable seats(for now)... It's just great that it's even a possibility.

I wouldn't call it "short $$." Those 3D projection systems are a seven figure initial investment and then very expensive to upkeep and develop new programs for. I suppose it would be up to the university to decide if there was a worthwhile ROI there, or if they can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

I could care less about me feeling better. But I would like to see the AD spend a few bucks to mount a half-way competent PR campaign about this major investment that will hopefully counteract all of the negative recruiting that is still holding up the Dome as an example of SU's lack of willingness to go full out in support of the football program. Maybe you think SU does a good or great job on the PR-marketing front. I don't.

I mean...how can we expect a better rendering when they don’t even know who they are doing it for. Lol.
Think they are just a publication, across the pond, in The Kingdom United.. or Britain Great...

I wouldn't call it "short $$." Those 3D projection systems are a seven figure initial investment and then very expensive to upkeep and develop new programs for. I suppose it would be up to the university to decide if there was a worthwhile ROI there, or if they can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.
Short $$ compared to a $500 mil stadium.. I'm more referencing an LED colored light show, as well. If it's $2mil for the white stadium lights, I'd guess they could get by with half that expense in colored lighting, for a proper show... Glow the stadium orange, at night, etc.. or a "Perth - lite" type display.. Something like that could land some recruits, and make for a better fan experience... For pennies on the dollar, compared to what other schools spend.

In defense of that poster, you may be missing that larger point. Most people are visual, and, a "picture paints a thousand words," or so the saying goes. If the university is expecting/anticipating donors to assist in this project, I think it likely behooves them by putting out a a visual that at least revs folks up a bit. That "structural" drawing released was abysmal to say the least and rather mickey mouse-ish. Just my opinion.
Valid point. I retract my :bat:

I could care less about me feeling better. But I would like to see the AD spend a few bucks to mount a half-way competent PR campaign about this major investment that will hopefully counteract all of the negative recruiting that is still holding up the Dome as an example of SU's lack of willingness to go full out in support of the football program. Maybe you think SU does a good or great job on the PR-marketing front. I don't.
That's fair.

flat bleachers allow everyone else to adapt to the fat person

everyone else just adjusts and takes a little less room

with the curved backs, you can't do that because everyone has a sore back so the two people next to the fat person try to fold in half to not get sweat on all day

All I know is the most comfortable I have been during a long athletic event was in Scranton watching the Railriders. Individual seats with cup holders on the back of the seat in front of you. Just a great experience. Also, the audio was as clear as a bell. Oh yeah...I am a big guy...6'5, 295.

Last edited:
Short $$ compared to a $500 mil stadium.. I'm more referencing an LED colored light show, as well. If it's $2mil for the white stadium lights, I'd guess they could get by with half that expense in colored lighting, for a proper show... Glow the stadium orange, at night, etc.. or a "Perth - lite" type display.. Something like that could land some recruits, and make for a better fan experience... For pennies on the dollar, compared to what other schools spend.

That I'd agree with. Hope the lighting system is impressive. The 3D projection show would be cool to add on, but I'd still deem it a luxury that isn't exactly needed.

That I'd agree with. Hope the lighting system is impressive. The 3D projection show would be cool to add on, but I'd still deem it a luxury that isn't exactly needed.
Yeah, 7 figures for 1 show seems cost prohibitive. The fact that we're the only football program in the country that could do it? Awesome.
I think they'll need to be significant cost reductions in the tech before we would ever see it.. still a cool possibility.

A spectacle of a light show seems the most likely, if they'll spend the $$. I think it comes with some immediate ROI, as well..

Last edited:
My read is that the announced approach addresses a few items at a time with best in class solutions that can be fully funded with currently identified sources rather that a wide swath of items with less than optional solutions or unidentified funding sources. Makes sense to me.

And I doubt that the $6M in Phase I ADA enhancements comes close to what is needed to be fully ADA compliant. Pretty wide ranging list of requirements that go beyond upgrading an elevator, several entries and adding closed captioning.

https://www.access-board.gov/attachments/article/1350/adaag.pdf

Yeah, 7 figures for 1 show seems cost prohibitive. The fact that we're the only football program in the country that could do it? Awesome.
I think they'll need to be significant cost reductions in the tech before we would ever see it.. still a cool possibility.

A spectacle of a light show seems the most likely, if they'll spend the $$. I think it comes with some immediate ROI, as well..

Most of that investment in the light show is designing it, right? So if you designed it once and used it repeatedly, it could be more cost effective. Maybe it wouldn't make as much sense for football but basketball could be more justifiable. Or maybe they could design something that could be used over multiple seasons.

That number is for 3d projection. It's the set up, rental, programming of the show. Haven't seen a # for purchasing the system.. Makes more sense for bball, night games.

Have to buy the LED lighting, anyway. Also. The translucent part of the roof will allow 45% of the light, so a light show could still be effective during a day game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom