Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

They have LED lights at SunTrust Park in Atlanta. Watching the Braves-Mets tonight, it was pretty cool how quickly they turned the lights off during a a pitching change so the fans could flash their lighters or whatever they had and then turn them back on again.

They have LED lights at SunTrust Park in Atlanta. Watching the Braves-Mets tonight, it was pretty cool how quickly they turned the lights off during a a pitching change so the fans could flash their lighters or whatever they had and then turn them back on again.
Funny you should mention this, I was at the game and noticed the same. Though one of my companions noted that the LED lights seem to make it a little harder to pick up fly balls (not too sure about that.) They also do a sort of “wave” with the lights when interesting things happen. There are lots of possibilities.

Funny you should mention this, I was at the game and noticed the same. Though one of my companions noted that the LED lights seem to make it a little harder to pick up fly balls (not too sure about that.) They also do a sort of “wave” with the lights when interesting things happen. There are lots of possibilities.
Interesting, you just sparked something for me, we've completely stopped doing the wave at football games, haven't we? I don't think I saw us do it at any home games last year.

Interesting, you just sparked something for me, we've completely stopped doing the wave at football games, haven't we? I don't think I saw us do it at any home games last year.
I don’t recall it happening at all last year either. Not that I’m complaining though, as I’m not a big fan of the wave.

Interesting report ... in a couple respects. One, the architectural slide away graphics are first class. They remind me of the "impossible engineering" shows on the Science channel ... leagues better than the sketch we saw of the Dome roof. And two, this is shaping up to be a beautiful project ... love the interior spaces, the glass and the classy facade. It's going to be gorgeous.

Last edited:
Interesting report ... in a couple respects. One, the architectural slide away graphics are first class. They remind me of the "impossible engineering" shows on the Science channel ... leagues better than the sketch we saw of the Dome roof. And two, this is shaping up to be a beautiful project ... love the interior spaces, the glass and the classy facade. It's going to be gorgeous.
This is the difference between an architectural render and a structural engineer.

The difference is night and day. Not sure who the architects are, but I think Populous did the initial renderings. If that is the firm behind this ... Wow. And if they're also involved in the Dome project, I think the students (and just a few fans) are in for a treat.

Here are a couple more: IN PROGRESS

I'm kind of partial to the other architect at my other alma mater, but I'm still looking forward to what the finished product at Archbold (can we agree that, in spite of Mr. Barnes's generosity, the old name's a good one?) looks like.

Here are a couple more: IN PROGRESS

I'm kind of partial to the other architect at my other alma mater, but I'm still looking forward to what the finished product at Archbold (can we agree that, in spite of Mr. Barnes's generosity, the old name's a good one?) looks like.
Wow, Hayner Hoyt. I think they did the Melo Center too. Really impressive what they're doing at the Arch.

What other architects ... do tell (or PM me).

Wow, Hayner Hoyt. I think they did the Melo Center too. Really impressive what they're doing at the Arch.

What other architects ... do tell (or PM me).

If you scroll down, you'll see a couple new Colgate buildings that Hayner is working on. Robert A.M. Stern does nice work. I think Colgate's maybe gone a little over the top with all its recent limestone buildings, but it is a clean and timeless look.

On one hand, I kind of prefer the architectural hodgepodge that SU has to offer. On the other, that cheapo metal paneling doesn't age well physically or aesthetically and I'm sure SU won't be looking to preserve buildings like Newhouse 3, the big SciTech addition, and the new Archbold in 2040.

If you scroll down, you'll see a couple new Colgate buildings that Hayner is working on. Robert A.M. Stern does nice work. I think Colgate's maybe gone a little over the top with all its recent limestone buildings, but it is a clean and timeless look.

On one hand, I kind of prefer the architectural hodgepodge that SU has to offer. On the other, that cheapo metal paneling doesn't age well physically or aesthetically and I'm sure SU won't be looking to preserve buildings like Newhouse 3, the big SciTech addition, and the new Archbold in 2040.
I saw the Benton Hall renderings ... classy and timeless, no doubt. I prefer the limestone to straight brick in terms of visual interest.

I saw the Benton Hall renderings ... classy and timeless, no doubt. I prefer the limestone to straight brick in terms of visual interest.
I so wish SU would look at using Onondaga Limestone as the exterior for even a few of the new buildings it puts up. It was used a lot in the early buildings on campus, it is native to the region and I think using it more would help tie the old stuff to the new and not-so-new buildings nicely.

I so wish SU would look at using Onondaga Limestone as the exterior for even a few of the new buildings it puts up. It was used a lot in the early buildings on campus, it is native to the region and I think using it more would help tie the old stuff to the new and not-so-new buildings nicely.
Exactly. I get that the new multi-surface architectural styles are popular (e.g., Sadler Hall). But as OttoMets and I were discussing, Limestone's timeless. I didn't realize it was available locally -- looks like there's a quarry in Romulus. Seneca Stone Quarry - Fayette - Onondaga Limestone - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Steele and HL are two of my favorites for that reason.

Gotta be a matter of cost. Too bad. Ever since Eggers, they've gotten away from high-end finishes on buildings. Not sure if the IVMF building will be the exception to that trend.

Exactly. I get that the new multi-surface architectural styles are popular (e.g., Sadler Hall). But as OttoMets and I were discussing, Limestone's timeless. I didn't realize it was available locally -- looks like there's a quarry in Romulus. Seneca Stone Quarry - Fayette - Onondaga Limestone - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Sadler's actually an interesting case (I'd forgotten about that expansion). I know one of the architects who worked on it and apparently incorporating local materials was a priority (while also sticking to a budget and honoring the late-'50s design of the rest of the building).

The result: some fieldstone along with a lot of unfinished locust wood, harvested from within the state.
1528903199987.png

Allegedly it ages very well. I don't know, but I like the look right now. Definitely one of SU's better efforts of the last 20 years.

Sadler's actually an interesting case (I'd forgotten about that expansion). I know one of the architects who worked on it and apparently incorporating local materials was a priority (while also sticking to a budget and honoring the late-'50s design of the rest of the building).

The result: some fieldstone along with a lot of unfinished locust wood, harvested from within the state.
View attachment 130445
Allegedly it ages very well. I don't know, but I like the look right now. Definitely one of SU's better efforts of the last 20 years.
I'm still getting used to it. My son lived there for two years. I do like the new law school style also .. and I'm not sure why. It has a modern gotham-city appeal, dark and linear (Gluckman Tang).
State-of-the-art Dineen Hall at Syracuse University digs for LEED Gold

Last edited:

Archimedes Russell was born in Andover, Massachusetts on June 13th, 1840. Russell, the son of a carpenter (Moody Russell), apprenticed a local painter in Andover and, shortly after, a prominent Boston architect, John Stevens. He moved to Syracuse on December 4th, 1862 and found a job in the office of respected architect Horatio Nelson White. White’s office designed many fixtures of Syracuse’s landscape, including downtown’s Gridely Building and Syracuse University’s Hall of Languages and did so in a number of different styles that range from Gothic to to Victorian.
Russell established his own practice in 1868, taking advantage of the development boom of late 19th century Syracuse that occurred after the Civil War. He went on to work on nearly 800 commissions over the course of his life, the most of any architect according to Syracuse University. Some of his work includes the McCarthy Building, Dey Brothers, the Yates Hotel, Crouse College, Central High School, The Charles E. Lipe Machine Shop (today’s Gear Factory), and the fourth Onondaga County Court House.
In a 1979 paper by Evamaria Hardin at Syracuse University, “The very fact that a structure such as the Yates Hotel was built in Syracuse ‘gave ton to its domestic economy, confidence in its business prosperity, and evidence that life is lively and progressive…’ suggested the Syracuse Daily Standard with pride.”
He was also professor of Architecture at Syracuse University from 1873-1881. According to the Hardin paper, his colleagues included the likes of George Knapp, Sandford Thayer, Henry C. Allewelt, and Ward Ranger. Russell was also a member of the Board of Fire Commissioners, where he was president from 1883-1885 and a member of a Syracuse Masonic Order (lodge #305).
When Russell died in 1915, at age 75, partner Melvin King took over. Today, the firm is known as King & King Architects and is the oldest operating architectural firm in New York State and the fourth-oldest in the country.

Wow, so much here to talk about! What fun!
Populous is still the architect for Archbold (Barns, Arch, whatever). Populous is still involved with the Dome but in a VERY limited capacity. There is almost no architecture happening outside of ADA and bathrooms. Robert Stern is a very old school architect I like some of his stuff, but in general, he's very much the godfather of "American Vernacular" and as such, finds favor in campus design and high end residential towers in NYC. Many feel his design is nice, but not progressive. He was Dean at Yale up until two years ago. He did the Comcast Tower in Philly and that is a really nice change of pace for him IMHO. I know many think Dineen is a fortress, and it may in fact be that way on purpose, but I like it and Richard Gluckman is a distinguished alum. IVMF is SHoP and they are a reputable high design firm, but they do not have a track record for "traditional materials".

Can you link this?

Wow, so much here to talk about! What fun!
Populous is still the architect for Archbold (Barns, Arch, whatever). Populous is still involved with the Dome but in a VERY limited capacity. There is almost no architecture happening outside of ADA and bathrooms. Robert Stern is a very old school architect I like some of his stuff, but in general, he's very much the godfather of "American Vernacular" and as such, finds favor in campus design and high end residential towers in NYC. Many feel his design is nice, but not progressive. He was Dean at Yale up until two years ago. He did the Comcast Tower in Philly and that is a really nice change of pace for him IMHO. I know many think Dineen is a fortress, and it may in fact be that way on purpose, but I like it and Richard Gluckman is a distinguished alum. IVMF is SHoP and they are a reputable high design firm, but they do not have a track record for "traditional materials".

I very much prefer old school architecture to the "progressive" nonsense the university has been throwing up lately. I'm ashamed that Ernie Davis' name is on that pile of garbage on Comstock, and while the interior of Dineen Hall is very beautiful, the exterior is reminiscent of an Eastern European prison.

“a brand new Olympic size pool”
I call BS on that statement.

SU/Gross ditched the swimming program because the school did not have an Olympic sized pool and funding to build such a facility could not be found. While the new pool may be nicer than the previous incarnation, there’s no way that it will be Olympic sized (50m long).

“a brand new Olympic size pool”
I call BS on that statement.

SU/Gross ditched the swimming program because the school did not have an Olympic sized pool and funding to build such a facility could not be found. While the new pool may be nicer than the previous incarnation, there’s no way that it will be Olympic sized (50m long).
I think swimming was ended long before Gross. I remember it being discussed at length in the mid nineties with the first wave of Title IX guts that saw the wrestling program end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom