Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

The DO may need to rethink their 10th 'thing'. ;)
Odd how #10 was a quote from 2018 how there would be no impact in terms of the Carrier name. Why include a quote from 2018?
Why would the article include #10 which was said a year ago?

Wild guess that the DO reporter just returned from Summer Break and didn't read all the memos yet.

That article was old and outdated.

Pretty positive the scoreboard plans have been scrapped and it will be a non-moveable scoreboard...gotta love design builds. These plans could change 100 times from now

When I was young, my mom would give me the catalogues from Sears, Montgomery Ward and Spiegel, I think it was. I would lay on the floor with a pen or a marker and circle all the things that I thought were cool. That became my wish list. It was like the 1960s version of ordering from Amazon today.
I am curious how the post office delivered the underwear models.

How was it a horrendous deal for the city?
Yeah. All that income (which is taxed by NYC) all those new homes purchased (taxed by NYC) all the new goods and services purchased (taxed by NYC), all the construction jobs, equipment sales, materials sales, lunches and breakfasts and snacks purchased by the construction workers. Projected losses of $27B in revenue to NYC.
What will NYC lose after Amazon HQ2 deal crumbles?

That article was old and outdated.

Pretty positive the scoreboard plans have been scrapped and it will be a non-moveable scoreboard...gotta love design builds. These plans could change 100 times from now
Has that been made public? I hadn't heard they scrapped the moveable scoreboard.

The giant tax break/credit is the obvious issue, the city shouldn't be building Amazon's HQ with the amount of money they make. The "25,000 new jobs" were over a 10 year period, and NYC already adds more way new jobs annually. Prices for apartments/rents are consistently going up, this just exacerbates that problem, and puts more strain on an already struggling transit system.

There was no commitment from Amazon to do anything that benefited the city.
How was the city "building Amazon's HQ"? You understand the differences between tax credits and tangible capital, correct? I ask this because many politicians who opposed the Amazon move actually thought that NYC was giving Amazon billions of dollars.

Why are increasing rent prices a bad thing? Higher valuation = higher property taxes and income taxes, right? Why can't these be redistributed accordingly as the NYC politicians see fit?

How was the city "building Amazon's HQ"? You understand the differences between tax credits and tangible capital, correct? I ask this because many politicians who opposed the Amazon move actually thought that NYC was giving Amazon billions of dollars.
Yes, I am very much aware that NYC isn't actually giving Amazon billions of dollars.

Why are increasing rent prices a bad thing? Higher valuation = higher property taxes and income taxes, right? Why can't these be redistributed accordingly as the NYC politicians see fit?

Laughing out loud that you think NYC politicians will properly allocate tax money... There's still no money for the Gateway tunnel, can't wait until the region shuts down when that collapses! The subway is an absolute disaster but good thing we have swipeless entry at like 10 stations!

Yeah. All that income (which is taxed by NYC) all those new homes purchased (taxed by NYC) all the new goods and services purchased (taxed by NYC), all the construction jobs, equipment sales, materials sales, lunches and breakfasts and snacks purchased by the construction workers. Projected losses of $27B in revenue to NYC.
What will NYC lose after Amazon HQ2 deal crumbles?
It's NYC. If any city can absorb $27B in misses revenue, it's NYC. Especially because there's always development going on here.

It's NYC. If any city can absorb $27B in misses revenue, it's NYC. Especially because there's always development going on here.
Agree and to your point it's actually $13B in missed revenue for NYC ($14B was to be state taxes), assuming that HQ2 fully delivered on all of its job promises. Amazon's commitment to Queens infrastructure/transportation improvements was unimpressive - it was piggybacking on $300M in spending by NYC and insisting on "helipads" for its execs. Lots of jobs, but lots of headaches and sacrifices. I think both parties will be ok here.

Last edited:
The Amazon HQ2 they are building here in Arlington is already pricing people out and it's still being built. Homes for sale in the zip code where it's being built have gone up in asking price over 100% since it was announced. It's already insanely expensive to live around here. This is why my generation can't buy homes and live paycheck to paycheck in small overpriced apartments. People my age that are buying homes end up 40+ miles away from DC and pay half a million for a townhouse.

They can't absorb anything. They are already upside down on public pensions with enough money coming due in the coming years to bankrupt the city. One of the dirty little secrets nobody there wants to talk about.....

This line from the article confused me. Are they referring to the camp with the old roof?
The new roof will make the building more transparent, and over the summer, Wildhack said men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim was able to run camps without turning on artificial lighting until 6 or 7 p.m.

There's a huge difference to the impact that something like this would have on Syracuse than NYC. If Amazon chose Newark it probably would have been a positive for that area too.

Still, Amazon has a lot of questionable business practices I struggle to get on board with which is why I don't use them for things I can buy at a local shop.

The giant tax break/credit is the obvious issue, the city shouldn't be building Amazon's HQ with the amount of money they make. The "25,000 new jobs" were over a 10 year period, and NYC already adds more way new jobs annually. Prices for apartments/rents are consistently going up, this just exacerbates that problem, and puts more strain on an already struggling transit system.

There was no commitment from Amazon to do anything that benefited the city.
That is ridiculous. That area where the project was set to go needed that in the worst way. It’s slums and vacant building falling apart. The fact that those jobs which would have benefited the locals went away over tax breaks is absurd. People there are struggling and they could have used that to get out from a bad situation. You’re thinking is extremely short sided. What would help someone more? free hand outs or an actual job. This country wastes more tax dollars in worse ways then stimulating employment opportunities and on one of the largest companies in the country.

This line from the article confused me. Are they referring to the camp with the old roof?

I think so. On sunny summer days they keep the lights off for camps and it's still bright in there.

Not very clear writing, though.

The new roof will make the building more transparent, and over the summer, Wildhack said men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim was able to run camps without turning on artificial lighting until 6 or 7 p.m.

Yeah also super confused on this part.

The b-ball courts in the Arch being completed.

9FD34D10-7779-40EE-8DCE-9A9594D47840.jpeg

Yes, I am very much aware that NYC isn't actually giving Amazon billions of dollars.

Laughing out loud that you think NYC politicians will properly allocate tax money... There's still no money for the Gateway tunnel, can't wait until the region shuts down when that collapses! The subway is an absolute disaster but good thing we have swipeless entry at like 10 stations!
Thanks for proving my point. If Amazon gets a giant tax break, why then does it matter if NYC politicians can't properly allocate tax money?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom