Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millhouse said:
i totally agree. most of the businesses on m street are totally worthless. some other thread, someone mentioned developing the area between the dome and marshall street. that would be great. i keep mentioning http://www.collegetownrochester.com/ because i live a mile awya, they did a nice job there. it's a little cookie cutter, maybe SU can give it a little more variety but this would be great. a decent market is a no brainer like the constantinos by UR

Those pictures are exactly the type of look we should shoot for.

This whole scenario makes great financial sense for the university. I think people underestimate the coolness of having all the fans parking in one location for parking and overestimate the issues in getting people to the games.
And call me crazy but I bet someone involved at the University is aware of parking challenges. Maybe they are coming up with some new ideas?

Those pictures are exactly the type of look we should shoot for.

what exactly is the issue w Marshall Street? I see something unique, very college-y and diverse as heck.

The antiseptic-ness of that Rochester picture smells like when Harvard gentrified and became "like any other square".

Again, bigger issues to the transformation of the campus but i always enjoyed the gritty nature of M Street

I was there and remember your question. It was a very interesting presentation. I was planning on posting a recap after, but someone needed a Prosecco, so we repaired to the bar. Thanks for the recap.
Thanks Bill! Wish I could have introduced myself. I'm sure your recap would be better than mine. Please share. I was quite impressed with the scope of the project, and what could be in the future. Hope most of it comes to pass.

what exactly is the issue w Marshall Street? I see something unique, very college-y and diverse as heck.

The antiseptic-ness of that Rochester picture smells like when Harvard gentrified and became "like any other square".

Again, bigger issues to the transformation of the campus but i always enjoyed the gritty nature of M Street

I think the major issue from what I can gather is that it is simply a little dingy and dated. It also happens to be the one place where visitors are almost guaranteed to stop at, thus, it presents a feel for the university. All I know is that it was emphatically stated, Syverud hated the first impression he got while on Marshall Street and felt that it didn't represent the university well. Now how to go about and change it is anyones guess. With all those individual businesses there, its not as if SU can just ask everyone, " Can you please put some money into the physical look of your business, it's reflecting poorly on us. "

I went back last summer. It's a dump, the food is bad, and you feel like you're on the cheap side of the Midway.

i totally agree. most of the businesses on m street are totally worthless.

some other thread, someone mentioned developing the area between the dome and marshall street. that would be great. i keep mentioning http://www.collegetownrochester.com/ because i live a mile awya, they did a nice job there. it's a little cookie cutter, maybe SU can give it a little more variety but this would be great. a decent market is a no brainer like the constantinos by UR

Who owns all of that property on Marshall Street? It's not the University, right? So I'm assuming any redevelopment there isn't in their hands.

I went back last summer. It's a dump, the food is bad, and you feel like you're on the cheap side of the Midway.

Yeah Marshall Street is kind of stuck in the early 80's/90's. It's not bad for college students looking for dive bars and and cheap food, but the amenities for visitors to the college, fans (visiting and home) and others are lacking, to be kind. There isn't a bar/restaurant in that area that I would frequent if I'm not up there for a game.

I remember going to Penn State for an SU game a few years back, and the bars and restaurants around the campus are light years better. Same goes for Ann Arbor. Now granted, those are two very large state universities, but they are also the only show in their respective towns. I think the Marshall Street area could easily support something similar, especially when you factor in the medical campuses that are right there as well.

shandeezy7 said:
Yeah Marshall Street is kind of stuck in the early 80's/90's. It's not bad for college students looking for dive bars and and cheap food, but the amenities for visitors to the college, fans (visiting and home) and others are lacking, to be kind. There isn't a bar/restaurant in that area that I would frequent if I'm not up there for a game. I remember going to Penn State for an SU game a few years back, and the bars and restaurants around the campus are light years better. Same goes for Ann Arbor. Now granted, those are two very large state universities, but they are also the only show in their respective towns. I think the Marshall Street area could easily support something similar, especially when you factor in the medical campuses that are right there as well.

Syracuse has the Armory area, which draws people to that area. But the Marshall area could use a facelift and some better shopping, restaurants and bars. That's why I question turning the Sheraton into dorms down the road. It's the only place in that area with any class.

elimunelson said:
what exactly is the issue w Marshall Street? I see something unique, very college-y and diverse as heck. The antiseptic-ness of that Rochester picture smells like when Harvard gentrified and became "like any other square". Again, bigger issues to the transformation of the campus but i always enjoyed the gritty nature of M Street

"Gritty nature of M Street" our new slogan!

AZOrange said:

I've been trying to come up with an analogy for an answer that was more than the word dumpy. You nailed it with the midway comparison.

Here is a link to the masterplan for the campus. Click on the link for Campus plan 2003. West Campus is on page 117. In this original version the train/trolley from downtown was incorporated in the plan to get fans to the Dome.

http://cpdc.syr.edu/CPDC/display.cfm?content_ID=#(8I/

Thanks CL. Dean Speaks spoke about this plan last night. Said that while it was impressive, it wasn't followed or built for execution. New buildings were just put up ad hoc without utilizing this resource for how to grow intelligently. Speaks to a lot of frustration that has come out on this board about developments that aren't brought about in smart ways, that would make for easier transitioning. This new plan is made for action. Kent mandated it.

Syracuse has the Armory area, which draws people to that area. But the Marshall area could use a facelift and some better shopping, restaurants and bars. That's why I question turning the Sheraton into dorms down the road. It's the only place in that area with any class.

I guarantee what they decide on remodeling it with will be a host of chain style restaurants and the entire original feel of M Street will be lost. I'm just saying be careful what you wish for. I also think since Syracuse is a school with students, the idea of having cheap eats right off campus is kinda what the students are looking for. Go to BC and the entire area in Cleveland Circle is 100% catering to students.

elimunelson said:
I guarantee what they decide on remodeling it with will be a host of chain style restaurants and the entire original feel of M Street will be lost. I'm just saying be careful what you wish for. I also think since Syracuse is a school with students, the idea of having cheap eats right off campus is kinda what the students are looking for. Go to BC and the entire area in Cleveland Circle is 100% catering to students.

You can make it less dumpy and have cheap eats.

The parking thing amazes me with some of you, but I get it, we're all different.

Pick stadium after stadium, and google image search aerial images. There are many, nearly all that I picked and many in the acc, with little to no parking around them. I guess all of these schools are in the business of making it hard for the fans to get there.

Yup. Everybody should see or go to a Colorado game. No parking anywhere. I don't recall them blocking off both sides of the streets though.

Last edited:
elimunelson said:

You can have a healthy mix. Other schools do it.

I live near Yale and they own all of the area where the stores and restaurants are located. It's become very gentrified. I would hope SU would steer away from that.

You can make it less dumpy and have cheap eats.

eminent Domain is going to get the landlords to sell or how does everyone propose the university from dropping the hammer on M Street?

Yeah that's what I was thinking as I wrote that. Since SU is right in the middle of the city of Syracuse, there are other options within close proximity to the University, so there isn't necessarily a need that has to be filled by Marshall Street. Still, it would be nice to see something in that area that is better than some glorified market place that was slapped together in a day.

I've been trying to come up with an analogy for an answer that was more than the word dumpy. You nailed it with the midway comparison.
Dumpy works for me just fine, I would tear everything down there. Not sure who went to Maryland a few years ago but they had an off campus development that was mixed use. Nice retail on the bottom and apartments up top. It's was very nicely done and fit the landscape.

Here we are ...likely getting a nice renovated stadium (awesome)... we don't really all the details about things like parking, etc... and all we see here are complaints about these things we don't really know about. We may be getting a really nice stadium! That' great!

I'm so sick of that look. Box store/chain. Everywhere in CO looks like those Rochester pics and it's already old. So tired of Syracuse doing everything other cities have done 10 years ago and they're not even that cool or comfortable. I love the term you used "antiseptic-ness". Syracuse is a very unique city, be progressive not 10 yrs behind. Like every restaurant/bar they put in Destiny. Those are not only old in every other city, they're lame and not money makers anyways.

eminent Domain is going to get the landlords to sell or how does everyone propose the university from dropping the hammer on M Street?

City Planning board, Building Department, Zoning etc. They can pass ordinances to force things like brick facades and better signage. that's all they need to do. can still have cheap eats and non- chains but you turn it into 13th Street in Boulder or the main drag in Ann Arbor - East Liberty Street?

i'd go two story buildings with eats and shopping underneath. apartments on top. - or some rooftop bars, that'd be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom