Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate

Most likely Daniels or Price.

JUCOs could also be in the mix. One of them is big [6-0 210 pounds], and the other is a grown a$$$ man [Branham]. Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see either of them in the mix.

And if the aforementioned duo nails the fort down behind LA, disco.

But as with most positional units, outside of TE -- we have abundant depth and quality at RB, so may the best players win the PT.
I'd guess Price (Edit: meant Daniels) or Parkman is RB3, at least to start the year as he has been here longer and should know the plays and assignments better. They were early enrollees. And i'd guess Price over Parkman being RB3.

Last edited:
Thought the same about Lockett not being on the two-deep.

Not worried about Bellamy / Gould [or Lockett / Thompson, for that matter]. Colgate is a tomato can -- let's get the secondary guys out there and see how they perform. Depth chart might look different in a week or two.
Seems like injuries and recent transfers explain the absences and demotions: in the slot, Pena left out; on the OL, Bleich ahead of Ellis; on the DL, Lockett left out; at LB, Thompson behind Lowery; in the secondary, no Farmer or Peterson (for now).

But we got some surprises on the OL: starting at center ... the General (preliminary but still impressive), and Wohlabaugh at RT. Great news at these critical positions. Overall, genuine depth on both OL and DL ... long time coming.

Last edited:
I'd guess Price or Parkman is RB3, at least to start the year as he has been here longer and should know the plays and assignments better. They were early enrollees. And i'd guess Price over Parkman being RB3.
Price is rb2, no?

I don't like this but RB3 (or maybe even RB2) is going to be Garrett Shrader.

Beck has coached several QBs who were the #1 or #2 rusher on the team - Bryce Perkins, Taysom Hill, Brennan Armstrong - so I can see his offense involving a lot of Shrader scrambling.

I like Ike and I really hope Price hits a higher gear this season but, for 2023 rushing stats, it's probably going to be the Garrett and LeQuint show.

And hold up better at the point of attack instead of being driven backwards after the snap.

And open up bigger holes for the RBs.

And protect Shrader from taking unnecessary hits by holding off the pass rush a little more effectively.

And giving Shrader an extra half-second to make throws.

Improved OL play is so important -- even just an incremental improvement on those four factors listed above is going to make an ENORMOUS difference on offense.
And not be the most highly penalized player on the team

I don't like this but RB3 (or maybe even RB2) is going to be Garrett Shrader.

Beck has coached several QBs who were the #1 or #2 rusher on the team - Bryce Perkins, Taysom Hill, Brennan Armstrong - so I can see his offense involving a lot of Shrader scrambling.

I like Ike and I really hope Price hits a higher gear this season but, for 2023 rushing stats, it's probably going to be the Garrett and LeQuint show.
I completely get the point you're making about rushing threats, and think you're right, but Shrader won't be RB3 in the sense that going down the bench he's the 3rd guy we look to to line up behind the QB.

I'm curious about RB3 because I think that guy needs to be like Allen, in the sense of being a dual threat back. Maybe I'm over indexing the Pinstripe game, but I think throwing to the RBs is going to be a big part of this offense. Allen and Price (RB2) don't strike me as similar players, which is fine, the thunder and lightning thing works for the top two. Are Parkman or Daniels more like Allen though? I didn't get the sense the JUCOs are, they seem like standard running backs.

I completely get the point you're making about rushing threats, and think you're right, but Shrader won't be RB3 in the sense that going down the bench he's the 3rd guy we look to to line up behind the QB.

I'm curious about RB3 because I think that guy needs to be like Allen, in the sense of being a dual threat back. Maybe I'm over indexing the Pinstripe game, but I think throwing to the RBs is going to be a big part of this offense. Allen and Price (RB2) don't strike me as similar players, which is fine, the thunder and lightning thing works for the top two. Are Parkman or Daniels more like Allen though? I didn't get the sense the JUCOs are, they seem like standard running backs.
Unless the true freshman are significantly better than the JUCOs I hope they redshirt.

Deepest team Dino has had. I’m stoked for the season. When’s the unfortunate but inevitable injuries happen (hopefully none season ending.) then we actually can replace that player with a P5 level player. Huge kudos to the staff what they have done to stock the cupboard with depth is remarkable in this age of NIL and turnover.

Yeah I was talking stats and not the third guy up, you’re right.
Don’t try to control me, Otto!!!!

I don’t know about stacked. The underbelly is much improved. This is a competitive top 1/2 ACC roster.

Stacked are the 80‘s-90’s teams that had nfl guys all over the roster.

It’s better than it was.
I think it is by far the best two deep I have seen us have since I've been old enough to care about things like the week one two deep. Probably the last 7 or 8 seasons.

I'll have a post breaking down our schedule tomorrow but if we aren't bowling this season it's time for a new coach. I'm annoyingly (to some) team Dino but six wins is the absolute floor with this much talent on the roster. Offensive skill positions alone might be top two or three in the ACC come November.

Last edited:
I think it is by far the best two deep I have seen us have since I've been old enough to care about things like the week one two deep. Probably the last 7 or 8 seasons.

I'll have a post breaking down our schedule tomorrow but if we aren't bowling this season it's time for a new coach. I'm annoyingly (to some) team Dino but six wins is the floor with this much talent on the roster. Offensive skill positions alone might be top two or three in the ACC come November.
I agree, most talented 2 deep we’ve had in a very very long time and a for the most part a favorable schedule. I think 7 wins is the floor, so if we don’t even get to a bowl I’d also be ready for a new coach.

I think the player you’re looking for will be Peña. A traditional RB in the backfield with Peña split out for the screen or some sort of sweep route (or this is where we employ the elements of the old option that we’ve heard about this spring).

Eh, I dunno.

I generally agree with saving a redshirt.

But if they're going to play a lot it's fine.

I'm probably being unfair but I'm skeptical of the JUCO RBs.

Nice that you get a 4 game audition to work it out.

But I also feel like the transfer portal makes the old redshirt question kinda useless.

But I also feel like the transfer portal makes the old redshirt question kinda useless.
Exactly.

Dino tends to reward loyalty. That’s how I view this 2-deep. Guys they have been here for the long-haul are going to be starters, as long as it does not potentially impact the outcome of a game.

In other words, if we were starting the season at Purdue I’m sure we might see a different to deep right now. But against Colgate there’s nothing wrong with rewarding those who worked very hard For this program to be giving first shot at starting.

It sort of reminds me of the DeVito and Shrader’s year where it really was a foregone conclusion that Schrader was going to take over at some point. I don’t know what positions that may be true this year, but I’m sure there will be a position or two or you’ll see a transfer sneak into the starting lineup by game three or certainly by game five.

Last edited:
And hold up better at the point of attack instead of being driven backwards after the snap.

And open up bigger holes for the RBs.

And protect Shrader from taking unnecessary hits by holding off the pass rush a little more effectively.

And giving Shrader an extra half-second to make throws.

Improved OL play is so important -- even just an incremental improvement on those four factors listed above is going to make an ENORMOUS difference on offense.
But VET graded out as our second best OL...

Dino tends to reward loyalty. That’s how I view this 2-deep. Guys they have been here for the long-haul are going to be starters, as long as it does not potentially impact the outcome of a game.

In other words, if we were starting the season at Purdue I’m sure we might see a different to deep right now. But against Colgate there’s nothing wrong with rewarding those who worked very hard For this program to be giving first shot at starting.

It sort of reminds me of the DeVito and Shrader’s year where it really was a foregone conclusion that Schrader was going to take over at some point. I don’t know what positions that may be true this year, but I’m sure there will be a position or two or you’ll see a transfer sneak into the starting lineup by game three or certainly by game five.
Funny you mention 2021 because there were rumors Shrader looked improved and took the off-season seriously. It was fate.

Probably true. Kids will lose a RS fifth year. But some will pick it up in the portal.

Agreed. I think we all know if Dino wasn’t obligated to put out a depth chart, he wouldn’t.

I definitely look at all the weekly depth charts as more of a reward/ motivation tool than an updated snapshot of who’s playing the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom