Game Thoughts- Clemson fan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Game Thoughts- Clemson fan

I agree 100%. I didnt grow up on campus but I did play at Clemson, when we were at our worst,...I get that "in the heat of the moment" etc.

BUT after the game when he should have had time to calm down...I just think he could have handled that better,
If he said everything he did EXCEPT the part about I said the same stuff as a kid...I (PERSONALLY and I recognize my opinion doesnt really mean ) would had no problem with it and thought he handled it well.
See, I guess I just don't see what you're seeing in his quote. He's saying he used to act that way as a kid, but he's a grown man and should know better now. That's literally what he's saying, so it sounds to me like he HAS calmed down and is owning up to his mistake, and is being apologetic about it.

I guess I'm just reading the quote differently than you are?

Nah, they said "Clemson is a team with many holes and we will exploit them. They are very beatable, and they haven't played in an environment like this"

This is a cultural differnce thing. In my job I deal with people from all over the country, after a while you learn the idiosyncrasies I suppose. Quite honestly this is one of the things that causes some of the "dumb southerner" "damn yankee" friction.

In the SE by and large, humility is of greater value than performance. An average performer in any organization, who says, "Aw shucks, I just got real lucky and have great support." will go far, much farther than a higher performer who toots his own horn. Same attitude in the community at large. In the NE it is glorified to "tell them what you are gonna do, then do it, then remind them you told them it was coming."

Its not right or wrong but folks who never leave the SE will be taken aback by the brazeness and brashness. Not saying others should coalesce to their views...just explaining why it was taken so wrong by so many.

You will rarely see crap talking from the SE centric teams. (BTW FL is not in the South...we annexed them years ago, so Miami is of course not included.) ;)
You folks have got to be kidding. Geez Louise. Trash talk? Feelings got a little boo boo? There was no trash talk. Thought a southern football school would be a tad tougher.

I'm not crazy about Shafer but he says what he means. As a northerner recently relocated down south in Georgia I can tell you Dabo probably says the same stuff but not in public. People down here are self righteous and "fake nice". At least northerners have the balls to say what we mean.

I'm not crazy about Shafer but he says what he means. As a northerner recently relocated down south in Georgia I can tell you Dabo probably says the same stuff but not in public. People down here are self righteous and "fake nice". At least northerners have the balls to say what we mean.
Born in the north - grew up in the north, then moved south and grew up here more. Then moved north again and back south again.

People are the same - accents different, look different - people are the same.

That said, don't think anyone argues folks say things in private they won't/wouldn't say in public - that's not a northern/southern thing. Per your own coaches comments, it's a maturity thing.

Ain't like we ain't made mistakes ourselves that's fo'sho'. That said, the yammerin' by your coach and players before and after the game does change it a bit, you can say it's a 'northern thing' (which I disagree w/), but does make winning (particularly in the style it went down) better.

I know...we'll get it paid back in spades in hoops...gotcha'.

All good...heck, I'm still not completely dried out from the Gator Bowl Whoopin'.

Looks like a cultural divide. Which means we'll think your sensitive, with an inferiority complex and you'll think we're arrogant trash talkers. I can live with that.

Dabo went for the kill because he is arrogant. He thought we'll just score again right here and play our backups. He said that at halftime! So our guys talked before the game??!! And the onside attempt was the same thing. Football Karma gave us some nice momentum in the 3rd.

This is why the word "Clemsoning" was invented. It's this Dabo and company with giant heads thinking they are above all. They will lose one they should win this year.

So now your coaches comments make us seem soft?

Really?

No.

What you guys consider "trash talking".

Our players pre game comments seemed nothing more than backing your teammates and having healthy confidence in your team, which every player should.

No one talked. Period. This is a make-believe story make up by your local radio hacks to get you all riled up. It didn't happen.

No.

There are was talk.

Looks like a cultural divide. Which means we'll think your sensitive, with an inferiority complex and you'll think we're arrogant trash talkers. I can live with that.
I think you're spot on. Weird thread. I genuinely did not think moving to the ACC would be a big deal culturally. Still don't, but maybe this is a big thing. I have a hard time believing Maryland and BC are much different from us.

So help me though, if any of our ACC brethren refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression, I will smack them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, this dude, but seriously...does anyone care about Clemson basketball? Legit wondering about it.

Last time we played Syracuse in basketball, we won. We had some good teams under Oliver Purnell and Rick Barnes. The last two years have been rough though. We have had some good players: Larry Nance, Horace Grant, Dale Davis, Tree Rollins, etc.. Truth is, we will probably never beat ya'll up in Syracuse and will have to be on an uptick to beat you in Clemson. We have been to the elite 8 once (Lost to eventual champ UCLA in 1980) We have three Sweet16 teams (lost to UCONN on a half-court shot, lost to Minnesota in double-overtime and had one other Sweet16 game. We've played in only two ACC Tournament Championship games, the last being in 2008 or 2009. That's about it in basketball.

Last time we played Syracuse in basketball, we won. We had some good teams under Oliver Purnell and Rick Barnes. The last two years have been rough though. We have had some good players: Larry Nance, Horace Grant, Dale Davis, Tree Rollins, etc.. Truth is, we will probably never beat ya'll up in Syracuse and will have to be on an uptick to beat you in Clemson. We have been to the elite 8 once (Lost to eventual champ UCLA in 1980) We have three Sweet16 teams (lost to UCONN on a half-court shot, lost to Minnesota in double-overtime and had one other Sweet16 game. We've played in only two ACC Tournament Championship games, the last being in 2008 or 2009. That's about it in basketball.
I forgot Horace played at Clemson. Well hey, here's a reason for you to throw our hoops team some support when we aren't playing you, his nephew Jerami is a sophomore we all expect to blow up this season and is projected to be a 1st round pick this season.

With the upcoming 2 or 3 years of great syracuse recruit...love how clemson's basketball program is on the upswing but we'll be darn near unbeatable with exception to damned Louisville and UNC.

I forgot Horace played at Clemson. Well hey, here's a reason for you to throw our hoops team some support when we aren't playing you, his nephew Jerami is a sophomore we all expect to blow up this season and is projected to be a 1st round pick this season.
Jerami's older brother Jerri Grant played at Clemson a few years back. Good ball player.

Jerami's older brother Jerri Grant played at Clemson a few years back. Good ball player.
Good lord, how many Grant brothers are there? Jerian still plays at Notre Dame, too, and there's a younger brother as well. Those dudes are friggin' everywhere.

Good lord, how many Grant brothers are there? Jerian still plays at Notre Dame, too, and there's a younger brother as well. Those dudes are friggin' everywhere.
I thought we'd have an inside shot at the others but didn't happen. I think there are four of them.

Yes, I will always pull for any of the Grants. Jerami's brother Jarai played for us and graduated a couple of years ago. He was good and played on NCAA Tourney teams. The Grants were very classy student-athletes. You can believe that I will always pull for Syracuse in your Duke and UNC battles, and any time you are carrying the ACC banner deep into the NCAA tournament.

With the upcoming 2 or 3 years of great syracuse recruit...love how clemson's basketball program is on the upswing but we'll be darn near unbeatable with exception to damned Louisville and UNC.

I don't think we're on the upswing. I think we are projected to be worse than we were last year if that is possible. I've seen a couple of mags that have us picked 14th out of 15 teams in teh ACC. Only Virginia Tech was below us.

I don't think we're on the upswing. I think we are projected to be worse than we were last year if that is possible. I've seen a couple of mags that have us picked 14th out of 15 teams in teh ACC. Only Virginia Tech was below us.

The same magazines probably have Syracuse behind Duke and UNC :bat:

I wouldn't trust 'em.SUball

This is why the word "Clemsoning" was invented. It's this Dabo and company with giant heads thinking they are above all. They will lose one they should win this year.

Correction. That was the rule under Tommy Bowden. Since Dabo took over, Clemson has the second longest streak in the country (only to Bama) of not losing to unranked teams, and second longest in beating unranked teams by double digits. Since the last time Clemson lost as a ranked to to an unranked team 45 schools have done so twice.

Dabo has changed the culture here.

it seems to me most of the Clemson fans here wanted us to kiss the mother***in ring. We didnt, they got "mad" and taught us a lesson. Talk about little brother complex, people here think we post about Rutgers too much, there board is littered with spurrier and USC topics all day.

They also seem to think that most of us are REALLY upset about this loss. Or should be upset. Truth of the matter is, we aren't. And I hate to sound all ignorant Yankee, but we have other things to do, see, worry about than calling into radio shows to diagnose the 2nd string left tackles problems.

After all this, go FSU

Correction. That was the rule under Tommy Bowden. Since Dabo took over, Clemson has the second longest streak in the country (only to Bama) of not losing to unranked teams, and second longest in beating unranked teams by double digits. Since the last time Clemson lost as a ranked to to an unranked team 45 schools have done so twice.

Dabo has changed the culture here.

11-12 in away games. Not respecting an opponent. Making up ways to feel disrespected.

Look, you guys are great. I'm going to root for you to win the whole thing. Boyd reminds me if McNabb. But Dabo's arrogance is going to cost them. It nearly did vs us in the 3rd.

We lose games every year in BB. And so does Clemson football. I can guarantee we'll beat you in football and you'll beat us in basketball. Chances are we'll have a winning percentage against you in bball as you will against us in football. Just so you know, we are just exiting the dark ages in SU football history... But we have been competitive in the past, and we will be again. Here's hoping we have some more competitive games in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

The funny thing about this thread... I remember prior to the gator bowl, the arrogance and condescension from Clemson and their media rubbed our team and town the wrong way.

Maybe the football gods are working on a rivalry. And that means maybe we'll be good enough to make it a rivalry in the years to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Palmer, your post is laughable. Clemson is the 3rd ranked team in the country and needed the "Extra" motivation for the game? Would think that as of now, even if you win out, the fact that a shot at the NC is not a given would be motivation enough. Especially knowing that in the current system "style points" do matter.

Not that Clemson is the only team that says things like this. The motivation card is overplayed in most sports. Especially love when it's used in playoff games, Superbowls, etc...